Solving quadratic equations using formula

In summary, the question asks for the time it takes for an Acapulco diver to reach the water from a height of 35 m, given by the equation h=-4.9t^2+t+35. The second part of the question asks for the time it takes to fall from 35 m to 25 m. Both of these can be solved using the quadratic formula.
Hyzon
1. An Acapulco diver dives into the sea from a height of 35 m. His height h metres t seconds after leaving the cliff is given by h=-4.9t^2+t+35. How long is it until he reaches the water? How long does it take him to fall from 35 m to 25 m?
2. (-b +/-(sqrt)b^2-4ac)/2b
3. I don't have any work done on this problem because I don't even know where to start. In previous questions I was merely using the quadratic formula to solve for the roots, but in this question I have to solve for a variable. The textbook doesn't mention this type of problem anywhere, any help on getting started would be wonderful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Hyzon!

There is nothing new here. You're given the equation for the height, h, as a function of time, and you need to solve it in order to figure out the elapsed time at two different heights.

The first height is h = 0, since the question asks you to figure out how long it takes him to hit the water, and the height is measured from the water's surface. Plugging in h = 0 gives you:

-4.9t2 + t + 35 = 0

The second height for which you have to solve the equation is h = 25 m, which gives you:

-4.9t2 + t + 35 = 25

These are both quadratic equations. You can solve them both using the quadratic formula.

EDIT: Since these are quadratic equations, you will always get two answers for t. However, one of them will probably be unphysical (unless it just corresponds to reaching that height on the way up, before he reaches max height and starts falling again).

Ah, yeah I knew I was looking at it wrong. Thanks a lot for the help!

Related to Solving quadratic equations using formula

What are quadratic equations?

Quadratic equations are algebraic expressions that involve a variable raised to the second power. They can be written in the form ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical formula used to solve quadratic equations. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b²-4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation.

How do you solve a quadratic equation using the formula?

To solve a quadratic equation using the formula, first identify the values of a, b, and c. Then substitute these values into the formula and solve for x. Make sure to consider both the positive and negative solutions.

What if the discriminant is negative?

If the discriminant (b²-4ac) in the quadratic formula is negative, the equation will have no real solutions. This means that the graph of the quadratic equation will not intersect the x-axis and the solution will involve imaginary numbers.

What are some real-life applications of solving quadratic equations?

Quadratic equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model real-life situations. For example, they can be used to determine the optimal trajectory of a projectile or to calculate the maximum profit for a business.