Solving Quick Bra-Ket Question: |t> + |a> = 45°

• Thread starter StephenD420
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bra-ket
In summary, the conversation discusses the notation and meaning of |t> and |a> in relation to the transmission quantum state and absorption quantum state. The lecture suggests that |t> represents a state that will be transmitted 100% of the time, while |a> represents a state that will be absorbed 100% of the time. The superposition of these states, |t> + |a>, has a 50/50 chance of being transmitted or absorbed when encountering a polarizing filter at a 45-degree angle. The polarizing angle determines the proportions of |t> and |a> present in the system.
StephenD420
|t> + |a> = ?? As an angle from the transition axis

now I know it is 45 degrees is the answer but I am not sure what |t> or |a> equals.
I know |theta> = cos theta |t> + sin theta |a>
so how do I go from here?
Does |t> = cos^2 theta
and |a> = sin^2 theta?

Thanks.
Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation makes no sense to me, maybe you should write down the problem exactly as it was stated?

What states of polarization do the following states represent(specify by an angle from the transmission axis of the polarizer).
a.

|t> + |a>

I still think I would need much more information to answer this question. Do you use some convention in your class what |t> and |a> mean?

That is what I am trying to find out

|t> is the transmission quantum state
|a> is the absorbtion quantum state

The lecture started with
|p> = cos theta |t> + sin theta |a>
and
<t|p> = cos theta
<a|p> = sin theta

bump...

would |t> be cos theta
and |a> sin theta

what would these represent where
|t> + |a> is 45 degrees
|t> + 2|a> is 63 degrees
2|t> - |a> is 27 degrees

please help me figure out what |t> and |a> represent!

Thanks.

uhh just guessing but by looking at that notation, |p> = |t> should represent a state that will be transmitted 100% of the time, and |p> = |a> represents a state that will be absorbed 100% of the time. So a state |p> =1/sqrt(2)[ |t> + |a> ] should represent a state that's in a superposition of these two states, and so there is a 50/50 chance of it being absorbed or transmitted when it encounters the polarizing filter. So quantum mechanically the state of the system is either |t> or |a> when it interacts with the polarizer and that decides whether or not it is transmitted. I guess this would translate classically to a polarizer whose angle is at 45degrees, since as you said, |p> = cos theta |t> + sin theta |a>. The polarizing angle just determines how much of each of the states |a> and |t> you have at any given time. They are orthogonal states.

Related to Solving Quick Bra-Ket Question: |t> + |a> = 45°

1. What is a quick bra-ket question?

A quick bra-ket question is a type of problem in quantum mechanics that involves finding the value of a particular linear combination of quantum states. This is represented mathematically using the bra-ket notation, where the bra represents the complex conjugate of the ket.

2. How do I solve a quick bra-ket question?

To solve a quick bra-ket question, you need to first identify the quantum states involved and the coefficients in front of them. Then, you can use the rules of bra-ket notation to manipulate the equation and find the value of the linear combination. Remember to use the orthogonality property of quantum states when simplifying the equation.

3. What does it mean when the result of a quick bra-ket question is a complex number?

In quantum mechanics, the probability amplitudes of quantum states can be represented by complex numbers. This means that the result of a quick bra-ket question may also be a complex number. You can interpret the magnitude of the complex number as the probability of measuring that particular state, and the phase as the relative phase of the state.

4. Are there any tricks or shortcuts to solving quick bra-ket questions?

While there are no specific shortcuts, it is helpful to familiarize yourself with the properties of quantum states and the rules of bra-ket notation. It is also important to practice solving various types of quick bra-ket questions to improve your problem-solving skills.

5. How can I check if my solution to a quick bra-ket question is correct?

The best way to check the correctness of your solution is by using the orthogonality property of quantum states. This property states that if two quantum states are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other, their inner product is equal to zero. So, if your solution satisfies this property, then it is most likely correct.