Solving Rope Falling Off Table Homework

In summary, the problem involves a rope of length L and mass m, placed above a hole in a table. The goal is to find the velocity of the rope as a function of distance x, as well as the acceleration and mechanical energy lost as the end of the rope leaves the table. The correct solution takes into account that only the part of the rope that has passed through the hole is in motion, while the attempted solution treats all points of the rope as having the same acceleration.
torq123

Homework Statement

A (smooth) rope of length L and mass m is placed above a hole in a table. One end of the rope falls through the hole, pulling steadily on the remainder of the rope. Find the velocity of the rope as a function of the distance to the end of the rope, x. Ignore friction of the rope as it unwinds. Then find the acceleration of the falling rope and the mechanical energy lost from the rope as the end of the rope leaves the table. Note that the rope length is less than the height of the table.

Homework Equations

F = mA= (mg/L)x

The Attempt at a Solution

My thoughts are that since [itex]a(x)=x\frac{g}{l}[/itex], [itex]x(t) = e^{t\sqrt{g/l}}[/itex], so v(t) is just the derivative of that, and [itex] v(x) =x\sqrt{g/l}[/itex]

I cannot figure out what I have done wrong up to this point. The problem is that, as you can see, that equation simply leads to KE(gained) = PE(lost).

The correct solution starts with:

[itex]mg = m\frac{dv}{dt} + vm\frac{dm}{dt}[/itex] which yields [itex]v^{2} = m\frac{2gx}{3}[/itex].

which corresponds to a loss [itex]\frac{mgL}{6}[/itex] of mechanical energy.

I just don't get it...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, torq123.

The wording of the problem is not all that clear. Based on your equation F = mA = (mg/L)x, you seem to be letting m stand for the mass of the entire rope and assuming that at any instant, all points of the rope have the same acceleration.

But the intended interpretation is that the rope is coiled up and sitting above the hole. Essentially, only the part of the rope that has passed through the hole (or is about to pass through the hole) is in motion. So, more and more of the rope goes into motion as time passes. See the attached figure.

Note that in the differential equation of the solution that you gave, m stands for just the mass of rope that has passed through the hole. But it looks like there is a typographical error in the differential equation, as you can see that the last term does not have units of force like the other two terms. Likewise your expression for ##v^2## does not have the right units.

Attachments

• rope through hole.png
    rope through hole.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 968

1. How do I prevent the rope from falling off the table while completing my homework?

One way to prevent the rope from falling off the table is to secure it in place with tape or a heavy object. Another solution is to use a rope with a larger diameter or one that is less slippery.

2. What is the best method for solving the rope falling off table homework?

The best method for solving this problem is to carefully analyze the problem and come up with a solution based on the specific circumstances. This may include adjusting the position of the rope or using additional materials to secure it in place.

3. Can I use any type of rope for this homework?

Yes, you can use any type of rope for this homework as long as it is strong enough to support the weight of the object and does not easily slip off the table.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid while solving this homework?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not properly securing the rope in place, using a rope that is too thin or slippery, and not considering the weight of the object being supported by the rope.

5. Are there any alternative solutions to this homework problem?

Yes, there are alternative solutions such as using a different type of support for the object or finding a different way to secure the rope in place, such as using clamps or hooks.