Solving S.O. PDE by transforming to normal form

In summary: Keep up the good work! In summary, the equation 1) u_{xx}+u_{xy}-2u_{yy} = 0 is transformed into normal form Au_{xx}+2Bu_{xy}+Cu_{yy}, and then solved by setting v = 2x-y, z = x + y as the transformations for the variables. This yields the solution u(x,y) = f_1(2x-y)+f_2(x+y).
prhzn

Homework Statement

Transform to normal form and solve:
1) [tex] u_{xx}+u_{xy}-2u_{yy} = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

Normal form: [tex]Au_{xx}+2Bu_{xy}+Cu_{yy}[/tex], hence, [tex] A = 1, B = \frac{1}{2}, C = -2[/tex].
Since [tex]AC-B^2 = -2.25 < 0[/tex] this is a hyperbolic equation.
Want to transform it by setting

[tex]v = \Phi(x,y), z = \Psi(x,y)[/tex] where [tex]\Phi = const[/tex] and [tex]\Psi = const[/tex] are solutions [tex]y=y(x)[/tex] of

2) [tex]A(y')^2-2By'+C = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From 2) I find

[tex](y'-2)(y'+1) = 0[/tex], giving me [tex]y_1 = 2x+C, y_2 = -x+C[/tex]. From this I choose choose [tex]v = 2x-y, z = x + y[/tex] as the transformations for the variables.

Finding the new expressions:

[tex]u_{xx} = (u_x)_x = ... = 4u_{vv}+4u_{zv}+u_{zz}[/tex]
[tex]u_{xy} = (u_x)_y = ... = -2u_{vv}+u_{zv}+u_{zz}[/tex]
[tex]u_{yy} = (u_y)_y = ... = u_{vv}-2u_{zv}+u_{zz}[/tex]

Inserting these into 1) I get that

[tex]9u_{zv} = 0 \leftrightarrow u_{zv} = 0[/tex], yielding [tex]u(v,z) = f_1(v)+f_2(z) \rightarrow u(x,y) = f_1(2x-y)+f_2(x+y)[/tex].

I'm not sure if this is correct, hence, I hope someone could let me know if I'm onto something or way off :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution looks correct! You have correctly transformed the equation into normal form and solved for u(x,y) in terms of v and z. Great job!

Related to Solving S.O. PDE by transforming to normal form

1. What is the normal form for solving a S.O. PDE?

The normal form for solving a S.O. PDE is when the highest order derivatives are written on one side of the equation and the lower order derivatives and other terms are written on the other side. This form allows for easier separation of variables and can be used to solve a variety of PDEs.

2. How do you transform a S.O. PDE to normal form?

To transform a S.O. PDE to normal form, you need to rearrange the terms so that all the highest order derivatives are on one side of the equation and all the lower order derivatives and other terms are on the other side. This can involve using algebraic manipulations or applying specific transformation formulas depending on the type of PDE.

3. What types of PDEs can be solved using the normal form?

The normal form can be used to solve a variety of linear and non-linear PDEs, including elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic equations. It is a versatile method that can be applied to a wide range of problems in different fields of science and engineering.

4. What are the advantages of using the normal form for solving S.O. PDEs?

The normal form allows for easier separation of variables, which simplifies the PDE and makes it easier to solve. It also helps to identify the type of PDE and choose an appropriate solution method. Additionally, the normal form can be used as a starting point for further analysis and computation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the normal form for solving S.O. PDEs?

The normal form may not be applicable to all types of PDEs, especially non-linear equations with complicated terms. In these cases, other solution methods such as numerical methods may be more suitable. Additionally, the normal form may not always result in closed-form solutions and may require further approximation techniques.