Solving the 1D Heat Equation with Separations of Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a partial differential equation using separation of variables and finding the temperature function u(x,t) subject to given boundary and initial conditions. The solution is found using a Fourier series and the conditions on the contour are adjusted to make the solution coherent. The conversation also includes a picture of an icon and a message wishing a Merry Christmas from Serbia.
superbread88
Have been trying for hours but simply no results. Hope that someone can help me out.

\[\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=4\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}\]

for \(t>0\) and \(0\leq x\leq 2\) subject to the boundary conditions

\[u_x (0,t) = 0\mbox{ and }u(2,t) = 0\]

and the initial condition

\[u(x,0) = 2 \cos \left(\frac{7\pi x}{4}\right)\]

By the use of separations of variables, solve the above equation for the temperature \(u(x,t)\)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
superbread88 said:
Have been trying for hours but simply no results. Hope that someone can help me out.

∂u/∂t=4(∂^2 u)/(∂x^2 )

for t>0 and 0≤x≤2 subject to the boundary conditions

ux (0,t) = 0 and u(2,t) = 0

u(x,0) = 2 cos (7πx)/4

By the use of separations of variables, solve the above equation for the temperature u(x,t)

Let suppose that any solution can be written as $\displaystyle u(x,t)= \alpha(x)\ \beta(t)$, so that the PDE is written as... $\displaystyle \frac{\alpha^{\ ''}}{\alpha} = \frac{\beta^{\ '}}{4\ \beta}=c$ (1)

... where c is a constant that we suppose to be negative so that we set $\displaystyle c=- \frac{1}{\lambda^{2}}$, $u_{t}= \alpha\ \beta^{\ '}$ and $u_{xx}= \beta\ \alpha^{\ ''}$ and arrive to the pair of ODE...

$\displaystyle \alpha^{\ ''}= - \frac{\alpha}{\lambda^{2}}$ (2)

$\displaystyle \beta^{\ '}= - \frac{4\ \beta}{\lambda^{2}}$ (3)

The (3) has solution...

$\beta = A\ e^{- \frac{4\ t}{\lambda^{2}}}$ (4)

... and (2) has solution...

$\alpha = B\ \cos (\frac{x}{\lambda}) + C\ \sin (\frac{x}{\lambda})$ (5)

Now we to introduce the 'conditions on the contour' that are...

$\displaystyle u(0,t)=u(2,t)=0\ ,\ u(x,0)= 2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x)$ (6)

It is easy to see that the (6) are not coherent because for x=0 is u=0 no matter which is t, so that we take into account only the conditions $\displaystyle u(0,t)=u(2,t)=0$. In this case the value of $\lambda$ is $\displaystyle \lambda= \frac{2}{n\ \pi}$ and the solution becomes...

$\displaystyle u(x,t)= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} c_{n} \sin (\frac{\pi}{2}\ n\ x)\ e^{- n^{2}\ \pi^{2}\ t}$ (7)

http://www.sv-luka.org/ikone/ikone180a.jpg

Marry Christmas from Serbia

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
chisigma said:
Let suppose that any solution can be written as $\displaystyle u(x,t)= \alpha(x)\ \beta(t)$, so that the PDE is written as... $\displaystyle \frac{\alpha^{\ ''}}{\alpha} = \frac{\beta^{\ '}}{4\ \beta}=c$ (1)

... where c is a constant that we suppose to be negative so that we set $\displaystyle c=- \frac{1}{\lambda^{2}}$, $u_{t}= \alpha\ \beta^{\ '}$ and $u_{xx}= \beta\ \alpha^{\ ''}$ and arrive to the pair of ODE...

$\displaystyle \alpha^{\ ''}= - \frac{\alpha}{\lambda^{2}}$ (2)

$\displaystyle \beta^{\ '}= - \frac{4\ \beta}{\lambda^{2}}$ (3)

The (3) has solution...

$\beta = A\ e^{- \frac{4\ t}{\lambda^{2}}}$ (4)

... and (2) has solution...

$\alpha = B\ \cos (\frac{x}{\lambda}) + C\ \sin (\frac{x}{\lambda})$ (5)

Now we to introduce the 'conditions on the contour' that are...

$\displaystyle u(0,t)=u(2,t)=0\ ,\ u(x,0)= 2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x)$ (6)

It is easy to see that the (6) are not coherent because for x=0 is u=0 no matter which is t, so that we take into account only the conditions $\displaystyle u(0,t)=u(2,t)=0$. In this case the value of $\lambda$ is $\displaystyle \lambda= \frac{2}{n\ \pi}$ and the solution becomes...

$\displaystyle u(x,t)= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} c_{n} \sin (\frac{\pi}{2}\ n\ x)\ e^{- n^{2}\ \pi^{2}\ t}$ (7)

The conditions on contour have been defined as 'non coherent' because the term $2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x)$ for $x=0$ is $\ne 0$, but that isn't true if we set the last condition as...

$\displaystyle u(x,0)= g(x)= \begin{cases} 2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x), & \text{if } 0< x <2\\
- 2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x), & \text{if } -2 < x < 0\\ 0, & \text{if}\ x=-2,x=0, x=2\end{cases}$ (1)

Now g(x) can be written as a Fourier series on only sines with coefficients ...

$\displaystyle c_{n}= 2\ \int_{0}^{2} \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x)\ \sin (\frac{\pi}{2}\ n\ x)\ dx = \frac{16\ n}{4\ \pi\ n^{2} -49\ \pi}$ (2)

... so that the solution is...

$\displaystyle u(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{16\ n}{4\ \pi\ n^{2} -49\ \pi} \sin (\frac{\pi}{2}\ n\ x)\ e^{- n^{2}\ \pi^{2}\ t}$ (3)

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The conditions on contour have been defined as 'non coherent' because the term $2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x)$ for $x=0$ is $\ne 0$, but that isn't true if we set the last condition as...

$\displaystyle u(x,0)= g(x)= \begin{cases} 2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x), & \text{if } 0< x <2\\
- 2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x), & \text{if } -2 < x < 0\\ 0, & \text{if}\ x=-2,x=0, x=2\end{cases}$ (1)

Now g(x) can be written as a Fourier series on only sines with coefficients ...

$\displaystyle c_{n}= 2\ \int_{0}^{2} \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x)\ \sin (\frac{\pi}{2}\ n\ x)\ dx = \frac{16\ n}{4\ \pi\ n^{2} -49\ \pi}$ (2)

... so that the solution is...

$\displaystyle u(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{16\ n}{4\ \pi\ n^{2} -49\ \pi} \sin (\frac{\pi}{2}\ n\ x)\ e^{- n^{2}\ \pi^{2}\ t}$ (3)

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thank you very much for your help Chisigma. I e-mail my professor with regards to this question and she only replied me her answer which is :

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/514._xfImport

I understood your working but my professor claim that the above is the correct answer and now I am really confused.

Sorry I tried my best to type this out using LaTeX but I simply don't know how to thus I insert a picture for illustration purpose.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 36
superbread88 said:
Thank you very much for your help Chisigma. I e-mail my professor with regards to this question and she only replied me her answer which is :

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/514

I understood your working but my professor claim that the above is the correct answer and now I am really confused.

Sorry I tried my best to type this out using LaTeX but I simply don't know how to thus I insert a picture for illustration purpose.
I think that you have a typo in the initial statement of the problem. You wrote

superbread88 said:
\[\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=4\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}\]

for \(t>0\) and \(0\leq x\leq 2\) subject to the boundary conditions

\[\color{red}{u_x (0,t) = 0}\mbox{ and }\color{red}{u(2,t) = 0}\]

\[u(x,0) = 2 \cos \left(\frac{7\pi x}{4}\right)\]

with the boundary conditions given as $u_x (0,t) = 0$ and $u(2,t) = 0$. Chisigma interpreted this as $u (0,t) = 0$ and $u(2,t) = 0$ (with no partial derivative in either condition). It looks as though you should have written $u_x (0,t) = 0$ and $u_x(2,t) = 0$ (with a partial derivative in both conditions). Chisigma's solution can then quite easily be modified to give the professor's solution.

Related to Solving the 1D Heat Equation with Separations of Variables

1. What is the 1D heat equation?

The 1D heat equation is a mathematical model used to describe the flow of heat in a one-dimensional system. It is based on the principles of conservation of energy and Fourier's law of heat conduction.

2. What are the assumptions made in the 1D heat equation?

The 1D heat equation assumes that heat is only transferred in one direction, the material being studied is homogeneous and isotropic, and there is steady-state heat flow (no changes in temperature over time).

3. How is the 1D heat equation solved?

The 1D heat equation is a partial differential equation, and it can be solved using various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, finite difference methods, and numerical approximation methods.

4. What are the applications of the 1D heat equation?

The 1D heat equation has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science. It can be used to analyze heat transfer in buildings, electronics, and industrial processes, to name a few.

5. What are the limitations of the 1D heat equation?

The 1D heat equation is a simplified model and does not account for factors such as convection, radiation, and changes in material properties due to temperature. It is also limited to one-dimensional systems and cannot be applied to more complex geometries.