Solving the 2kg Cart Homework Problem

In summary: You're welcome, and good luck with your studies!In summary, we have a 2 kg cart attached to a cord that can slide along a frictionless horizontal rail. The cord is pulled over a frictionless pulley at a height of 2.0 m and the cart slides from 4.0 m to 1.0 m where x is measured positively to the left. The tension in the cord is a constant 49 N. Using the equations F=ma and v^2=2aΔx, we can determine the speed of the cart when it reaches x2 to be √[2 * 49 * (√(4^2 + 2^2) - √(1
jvalencia

Homework Statement

The figure shows a cord attached to a 2 kg cart that starts from rest and can slide along a frictionless horizontal rail. The right end of the cord is pulled over a frictionless pulley at height h = 2.0 m above the point of attachment of the cord to the mass, so the cart slides from x1 = 4.0 m to x2 = 1.0 m where x is measured positively to the left from a line that passes vertically through the center of the pulley. During the move, the tension T, in the cord is a constant 49 N. What is the speed of the cart (in m/s to two decimal places) when it reaches x2 ?

Image: http://drbensonphysics.org/file.php/3/AP_images/variable_force_constant_tension_.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma
v^2=2aΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the force on the object varies due to the changing angle of the applied force, and that the relevant component of the force is equal to the cosine of the angle. I found this to be Fcos(arctan(2/x2-x1-D)) where D is the distance the mass has traveled at any given point in time. I don't have any idea where to go from here because it seems that I must keep substituting the same equation into itself if I use a = F/m. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jvalencia, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Unfortunately the image at the url you've given is behind a username/password login. Can you upload the image here instead? (use the UPLOAD button)

Thank you for telling me that. I shall figure out how to do so shortly

Here it is

variable_force_constant_tension_.jpg

(Mentor's note: edited post to expand thumbnail image)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can either integrate the horizontal component of the force over the distance that the cart moves, or perhaps do something clever...

Notice that the horizontal part of the rope after the pulley also has a force pulling it to the right. That force is constant and always horizontal. Does that suggest anything to you?

Likes jvalencia
My understanding of calculus is pretty shaky; I'm only in my first semester. Would this be the way to set up that integral?
$$ \int F \cos\theta dx $$
$$ \theta = \arctan\frac{2}{x_1 - x_2 - x} $$

Also, I don't really see what you are hinting at with that last bit. I know that the tension force is always constant but the angle varies. Consequently, the component of the force doing work on the object changes, assuming gravity exists and holds the cart to the rail.

Your integral outline is okay. The angle varies of course, and you should be able to use the basic trig function definitions (ratios side lengths of the triangle) to write an expression for ##cos( \theta )## in terms of x.

As to what I was hinting at, note that by conservation of energy, the energy that's put into the cart must be the same as the work that's done pulling on the rope. The horizontal part of the rope moves a certain distance, say from x'1 to x'2, while the cart moves from x1 to x2. But no angles are involved here: it's a straight line motion, and the force is constant... can you determine how far the rope moves?

Fig1.png

Likes jvalencia
That is vastly more intuitive! Thank you.

Any point in the rope moves a distance equal to the difference in the hypotenuses of triangles x1 and x2. Therefore
## \sqrt\frac {2F(A-B)} {m} = v ##
Where A and B are the hypotenuses of the aforementioned triangles.

Looks good :smile:

1. How do you approach solving the 2kg cart homework problem?

To solve the 2kg cart homework problem, I first identify the given information such as the mass of the cart, the force applied, and any other relevant variables. Then, using Newton's Second Law, F=ma, I calculate the acceleration of the cart. From there, I can use kinematic equations to determine the distance the cart will travel in a given amount of time.

2. What is the significance of the 2kg mass in this problem?

The 2kg mass is significant because it is the mass of the cart that is being accelerated by the applied force. It is a key component in determining the acceleration and subsequent distance traveled by the cart.

3. How do you account for friction in this problem?

In this problem, friction is not explicitly stated or given, so it is assumed to be negligible. However, if friction were to be included, the force applied would need to be adjusted to account for the opposing force of friction. This would result in a lower acceleration and shorter distance traveled by the cart.

4. Can this problem be solved using other equations or methods?

Yes, there are other equations and methods that can be used to solve this problem. For example, the Work-Energy Theorem or the Law of Conservation of Energy can also be used to determine the distance traveled by the cart. However, the approach using Newton's Second Law and kinematic equations is the most straightforward and commonly used method.

5. How can this problem be applied to real-life situations?

This problem can be applied to real-life situations in various ways. For example, it can be used to calculate the distance a car will travel when accelerating from a stop, or the distance a projectile will travel when launched with a certain force. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the motion of objects and can be applied to many different scenarios.