Solving Transient Analysis RC: Find Capacitance for 200V, 20V, 2V

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of capacitance needed in a circuit to ensure that the voltage across the capacitor never exceeds certain values. The problem is broken into two transient problems and the attempt at solving it using non-ideal current sources is described. The conversation concludes with a question about the eventual voltage across the capacitor after a long time.
tdabboud
1. The problem statement:

What is the value of capacitance needed in Fig. 1 so that the voltage across the capacitor never exceeds (a) 200 V, (b) 20 V, and (c) 2 V ?

This is the Circuit

Homework Equations

Vc(0-) = 0V
Vc(0+) = 150V

ic = c v'

vc(t) = final + [initial - final] e^(-t/τau)

The Attempt at a Solution

since the capacitor is in parallel with the resistor the voltages are equal. which at t=0 will be 150V. up until 100us the capacitor is charging, then when t>100us the capacitor will discharge. so the max voltage across the capacitor will be 150V no matter what the value is. However you can get a smaller capacitance value to decrease this voltage but the voltage will never exceed 150V.

I broke the problem into two transient problems:
(1) t=0+ and t=100us-
(2) t=100us+ and t=infinity-

I tried to solve for Vc(t) for each of these problems:

for (1) Vc(t) = 20 - 20e^(-t/c)
for (2) Vc(t) = 20e^(-t/2c)

This did not work out right. So then I tried converting to non ideal current source, but got stuck.

4.PROBLEM
- I have never done a transient problem where the switch changes at some value other then 0.
-I simulated this circuit on pspice and I get the capacitance for each voltage, BUT I want to know how to do this by hand.

Your help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that the second switch didn't open at time 100μs. What would be the eventual voltage across the capacitor after the proverbial "long time"?

That should tell you what the function is that describes the voltage up until the instant that that second switch opens.

Related to Solving Transient Analysis RC: Find Capacitance for 200V, 20V, 2V

1. How do you solve for capacitance in a transient RC circuit?

In order to solve for capacitance in a transient RC circuit, you will need to use the equation C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance, Q is the charge, and V is the voltage. You will also need to calculate the time constant, which is equal to RC, where R is the resistance and C is the capacitance. Once you have these values, you can use them to solve for capacitance.

2. What is the significance of the voltage values (200V, 20V, 2V) in this problem?

The voltage values (200V, 20V, 2V) represent the initial, final, and intermediate voltages in the transient RC circuit. These values are necessary for solving for capacitance because they help determine the charge and time constant in the circuit.

3. Can you explain the concept of transient analysis in relation to RC circuits?

Transient analysis is the study of how a circuit responds to a sudden change in voltage or current. In an RC circuit, the capacitor acts as a temporary storage device for charge. During the transient period, the capacitor charges or discharges until it reaches a steady state, where the voltage across the capacitor is equal to the source voltage.

4. What is the purpose of finding capacitance in a transient RC circuit?

The purpose of finding capacitance in a transient RC circuit is to understand how the circuit responds to changes in voltage or current. Capacitance is a crucial factor in determining the time constant and the behavior of the circuit during the transient period.

5. Are there any limitations to using transient analysis to solve for capacitance in an RC circuit?

Yes, there are some limitations to using transient analysis to solve for capacitance in an RC circuit. This method assumes that the circuit has reached a steady state, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not take into account any non-ideal components or external factors that may affect the circuit's behavior.