Solving Trusses w/ Couples: Examples & Calculations

In summary, the truss in the question does not have a balanced force due to the presence of a couple. It is possible to find an example of a truss with a couple applied, but the calculations must be done differently.
nerak99
I have solved a number of example questions referring to Trusses. I have one where the forces do not balance correctly when I check through.

A difference with this truss is that there is a couple applied to the truss.

I have been using the method of Joints to do the working out.

Does the presence of a net couple mean that I have to do something different?
Can anyone point me to an example where the calculations are done on a Truss with a couple applied to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
A pure truss consists of 2-force members which carry axial compression or tensile forces and stresses, no bending stresses or shear forces. When a couple is applied, the truss is no longer a pure truss, and it becomes a frame or frame-truss combo, where at least one of the members carries shear load and moment and associated stresses. The frame has to be analyzed differently, often still statically determinate using all 3 equilibrium equations.

Mmm, I thought that might be to the problem. The three equilibrium equations being sum Fx, Fy and Moments?
The issue I have is that I do not know how to include the couple. Can anyone point me to an example?

Can you attach a sketch of your particular question showing where the couple is applied and what the frame looks like and how it is supported?

Here is a truss that I have sketched. The question is to resolve all forces and the reactions at the supports, one of which is pinned.
I have had to export the svg as a non-vector version for this forum.

The three lengths at the bottom are all 3m, i.e. 9m in all along the bottom with all internal angles as you would expect from the two given, the couple being formed by the horizontal component of the reaction at the pinned support and the 2K sideways force.

Attachments

• g4518.jpg
    g4518.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
BTW, that last post was me as I set up two accounts after Chrome related issues with registering on this site.

Oh, when you said a couple was applied, I was envisioning a pure couple and not a force couple consisting of equal and opposite forces a perpendicular distance 'd' apart. Since this is the case here, and all external forces are at joints, this problem is no different than other truss problems, the truss is 'pure' with axial member forces only. So you might want to show your work so we can see what the problem is that you are having.

Ah, Thanks, you have given me more confidenec and looking at the diagram, the middle distance can't be 3. I wonder if the question has an error, I will work it through with three and 2.3 (calculated middle brace length) and see if the results come out correctly.
I will post some working.

Related to Solving Trusses w/ Couples: Examples & Calculations

1. How do I determine the forces in a truss with couples?

The forces in a truss with couples can be determined by using the method of joints or method of sections. Both methods involve breaking down the truss into smaller parts and using equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces.

2. What is the difference between a truss with couples and a regular truss?

A truss with couples is a type of truss where external forces act on the truss as couples, which are pairs of equal and opposite forces that do not share a line of action. This adds additional complexity to the analysis compared to a regular truss where external forces act as single forces at specific joints.

3. How do I account for the couples in my calculations?

To account for the couples in your calculations, you can use the principle of transmissibility. This states that a force can be moved along its line of action without changing its effect on a body. This allows you to transfer the couples to different locations in the truss without changing their effects on the structure.

4. Can I use a software program to solve trusses with couples?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can solve trusses with couples. These programs use numerical methods to solve the equations of equilibrium and provide graphical representations of the forces and moments in the truss. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and assumptions of the software to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any special considerations when analyzing trusses with couples?

Yes, there are a few special considerations when analyzing trusses with couples. One is that the assumption of the method of joints that all forces act at the joints may not be valid, as some forces may act between joints due to the couples. Additionally, the truss may not be in static equilibrium due to the presence of couples, so it is important to check for this before proceeding with calculations.