Some questions on magnetic fields in matter

In summary, the conversation discusses questions and confusion about the theory behind magnetism in matter. The first question addresses the attraction and repulsion of different types of materials, including dielectrics, diamagnetics, paramagnetics, and ferromagnetics, to regions with different electric fields. The second question asks about the behavior of a magnetic circuit with an air gap, specifically whether the two ends of the torus are attracted to each other. The final question asks about calculating the magnetic field created by leaks in the air gap of a magnetic circuit. The person expressing these questions is seeking help with their coursework.
springo
Hey,

So I have a few questions because I don't understand some of the theory behind magnetism in matter.

First, I have studied electric fields in matter and it seems logical that dielectrics get attracted to regions with higher field, because they're polarized and this creates the usual electric force. However, I don't understand why diamagnetics are repelled and paramagnetics and especially ferromagnetics are attracted.

Secondly, in a magnetic circuit with an air gap, for instance a torus with a segment missing, are the two ends of the torus attracted to each other?

Finally, in a magnetic circuit, such as the one mentioned in the previous question, if you wanted to calculate the magnetic field created by the leaks in the air gap, how could you do it?

Thanks a lot for your help.

PS: This is more of a coursework thread so I didn't use the template because it was not covenient.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump for help :)

Hello,

Thank you for your questions about magnetic fields in matter. Let me try to address each of your questions separately:

1. The behavior of different materials in a magnetic field can be explained by their different magnetic properties. Diamagnetic materials have all of their electrons paired up, so they do not have a net magnetic moment and are therefore repelled by a magnetic field. Paramagnetic materials have some unpaired electrons, which align with the external magnetic field and create a net magnetic moment, causing them to be attracted to the field. Ferromagnetic materials have even more unpaired electrons and can also have spontaneous magnetization, making them strongly attracted to magnetic fields.

2. In a magnetic circuit with an air gap, the two ends of the torus will be attracted to each other due to the presence of a magnetic field. This is because the magnetic field lines will be concentrated in the air gap, creating a stronger magnetic force between the two ends.

3. Calculating the magnetic field created by the leaks in the air gap of a magnetic circuit can be done using the principles of magnetic flux and the concept of magnetic reluctance. Essentially, you would need to calculate the total flux through the air gap and then use the concept of magnetic reluctance to determine the strength of the magnetic field in the gap. This can be a complex calculation, but there are mathematical models and simulations that can help with this process.

I hope this helps to clarify some of the concepts behind magnetic fields in matter. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your coursework!

Related to Some questions on magnetic fields in matter

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region around a magnet or a moving electric charge in which magnetic forces can be detected.

2. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges or by magnetic materials, such as iron or nickel. These materials have aligned atomic or molecular magnetic moments, which generate a net magnetic field.

3. What is the difference between a magnetic field in free space and a magnetic field in matter?

A magnetic field in free space is created by a moving electric charge and is not affected by the presence of matter. In contrast, a magnetic field in matter is affected by the alignment of atomic or molecular magnetic moments in the material, resulting in a modification of the magnetic field.

4. How does the type of material affect the magnetic field in matter?

The type of material affects the magnetic field in matter because different materials have different magnetic properties. For example, ferromagnetic materials have strong magnetic properties and can create a strong magnetic field, while non-magnetic materials do not have magnetic properties and cannot create a magnetic field.

5. What is the relationship between electric and magnetic fields in matter?

In matter, electric and magnetic fields are closely related through the electromagnetic force. When an electric field is present, it can induce a magnetic field in matter, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations and is fundamental to understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in matter.