Some Specific Questions Regarding Nuclides

• I
  • Thread starter rtareen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Specific
In summary, the mass distribution plot for fission does not necessarily have corresponding points on either side connected by horizontal lines. The total binding energy per nucleon usually increases in fission, but the source of this energy is not explicitly stated. Nuclei with higher atomic number have a larger mass due to having more nucleons, and the difference in mass between free nucleons and a nucleus of the same nucleon number increases with increasing A. However, this binding energy curve does not necessarily apply to fission fragments.
rtareen
TL;DR Summary
Attached is a screenshot of a page from my book (Sears & Zemansky's University Physics 14E).
I have some questions about the contents of this page.
My first question is about the mass distribution plot (43.11). Since fission involves two fragments, you would think that for each point there may be a corresponding point on the other side that is connected by a horizontal line. This is further reinforced by the fact that in the middle of the plot they say “Fission into two fragments with equal mass is unlikely”. However I’m not 100 percent sure about this, since there are no horizontal lines on the plot that emphasize the correspondence.

Second, since in fission we are going from a single nucleus with high A to 2 nuclei of lower A, the total binding energy per nucleon usually increases. I guess this energy comes from neutron bombardment? Or does it come from a decrease in mass? They don’t say.

Finally, a more general question. Is mass gained or lost with higher atomic number. Or is there no simple relationship between the mass difference and the nucleon number?

Attachments

• Nuclear.jpg
    Nuclear.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 144
Physics news on Phys.org
rtareen said:
Since fission involves two fragments, you would think that for each point there may be a corresponding point on the other side that is connected by a horizontal line.
Approximately, yes. You also lose a variable number of neutrons, and fission to three components is rare but possible.
Second, since in fission we are going from a single nucleus with high A to 2 nuclei of lower A, the total binding energy per nucleon usually increases. I guess this energy comes from neutron bombardment? Or does it come from a decrease in mass? They don’t say.
Binding energy has a confusing sign. A higher binding energy means the nucleus is bound tighter, i.e. has a lower energy. Increasing the binding energy releases energy.
Finally, a more general question. Is mass gained or lost with higher atomic number. Or is there no simple relationship between the mass difference and the nucleon number?
Nuclei with higher atomic number always have a larger mass, simply from having more nucleons. Fission doesn't change the total number of nucleons, so its energy balance depends on the binding energy which is small (~1%) relative to the total mass.

mfb said:
Nuclei with higher atomic number always have a larger mass, simply from having more nucleons. Fission doesn't change the total number of nucleons, so its energy balance depends on the binding energy which is small (~1%) relative to the total mass.

Thank you. I am just asking about how the mass of individual nucleons is greater than the mass of a nucleus with the same number of nucleons. I think that is the case. So let's call (##\Delta M_A##) the difference between A free nucleons and a nucleus of nucleon number A. Does this difference increase with increasing A, decrease, or something else?

Binding energy is the difference between the sum of the masses of the nucleons within the nucleus and the mass of the nucleus. The difference is maximum for Iron. This means lighter elements are created by fusion, while heavier elements need outside energy (velocity of particles in collision).

Likes vanhees71 and hutchphd
Caution: this is the binding energy curve for common, beta stable isotopes, which indeed has a maximum at iron (56). Fission fragments are neither common nor beta stable, and do not have the same binding energy curve.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a nuclide?

A nuclide is a specific type of atom that is characterized by its number of protons, neutrons, and energy state. It is often represented by its atomic symbol, such as 14C for carbon-14.

2. How are nuclides different from isotopes?

Nuclides are different from isotopes in that they also take into account the energy state of an atom, while isotopes only refer to the number of protons and neutrons. This means that two nuclides can have the same number of protons and neutrons, but differ in their energy states.

3. What is the difference between a stable and an unstable nuclide?

A stable nuclide is one that does not undergo any radioactive decay and remains in its current state indefinitely. An unstable nuclide, on the other hand, is one that is radioactive and undergoes spontaneous decay, eventually transforming into a different nuclide.

4. How are nuclides used in nuclear medicine?

Nuclides are used in nuclear medicine for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. For example, radioactive isotopes can be used to create images of internal organs and tissues, while targeted radiation therapy can be used to treat cancerous cells.

5. What is the half-life of a nuclide?

The half-life of a nuclide is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to undergo radioactive decay. This can vary greatly depending on the specific nuclide, ranging from fractions of a second to billions of years.