Source of deformation on Spinning oblect

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces acting on a spinning sphere in space without any external forces, with a focus on the centripetal and centrifugal forces. The question of whether these forces can cause deformation in a sphere with elasticity is raised, and the use of Hooke's Law to determine the magnitude of these forces is mentioned. The individual also expresses uncertainty and asks for assistance with their understanding.
quantumfoam

Homework Statement

Hello guys! Now this is not a homework question, but it may sound like one. If a uniform sized and massed sphere was spinning in space away from any source of forces that could affect it, wouldn't the only forces that act on it are the centripetal and centrifugal? And if this sphere had elasticity, wouldn't the force that is stretching the sphere be either centripetal of centrifugal force? Now I am not including its gravitational force on purpose. Its gravitational field can be negligible. I also know that the centrifugal force is not a real force, but it is useful for explaining some phenomena. I'm using classical mechanics. The sphere will not be spinning at relativistic speeds.

Homework Equations

Well, mathematically, I figured that if the centripetal and centrifugal forces are the sources of deformation of stretching of the sphere, then by using Hooke's Law we find that
mωv=-kx
where mωv is the centripetal or centrifugal force magnitude and -kx is Hooke's Law. Is this right? Or am I forgetting something? I would really appreciate anyone's help. My extremely inferior mind is not sure of itself.:frown:

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me?

Related to Source of deformation on Spinning oblect

What is the source of deformation on a spinning object?

The source of deformation on a spinning object is the centripetal force acting on the object. This force is directed towards the center of the circular motion and causes the object to bend or distort.

How does the speed of rotation affect the amount of deformation?

The speed of rotation has a direct impact on the amount of deformation. As the speed increases, the centripetal force also increases, resulting in a greater amount of deformation.

What factors contribute to the strength of the centripetal force?

The strength of the centripetal force is influenced by the mass of the object, the speed of rotation, and the distance between the object and the center of rotation. The greater these factors are, the stronger the force will be.

Can the shape of the object affect the amount of deformation?

Yes, the shape of the object can have an impact on the amount of deformation. Objects with a larger surface area or irregular shapes may experience more deformation compared to objects with smaller surface areas or symmetrical shapes.

How does the material of the object play a role in its deformation?

The material of the object can affect its deformation. Objects with more flexibility or elasticity may be able to withstand greater amounts of deformation compared to objects that are rigid or brittle.