Special keys (windows 7 keyboard)

• Thread starter mathman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Keyboard
In summary, there are two keys on the bottom row of the HP KU-0841 keyboard that the user is unsure of the function of. They have Googled "Fn key" but the Wikipedia article does not provide much help. The keys are a rectangle with "Fn" inside, which may switch function keys to user-programmable functions, and a key resembling a list with an arrow, which is a standard Windows key for accessing a pop-up menu. Knowing the make and model of the keyboard may provide more information through an online operator's manual.
mathman
Science Advisor
On my keyboard (bottom row) there are two keys which I have no idea what they do. I tried Googling "keyboard", but couldn't get anything useful. the keys look like this:

1. Rectangle with Fn inside
2. Something that resembles a list (blank) with an arrow

Computer science news on Phys.org
What is the make and model of the keyboard (look on the bottom side for the label)? Maybe that will point you to an operator's manual online...

Keyboard hp KU-0841

The Wikipedia article isn't much help, since it just gives a general description.

mathman said:
1. Rectangle with Fn inside
FWIW I've seen keyboards with a similar key (not necessarily on the bottom row) which switches the function keys F1 - F12 from their standard meaning to user-programmable functions.

2. Something that resembles a list (blank) with an arrow
If that is to the right of the space bar, it's the standard Windows key to get a pop-up menu, as an alternative to right-clicking the mouse. (People who can touch type sometimes prefer keyboard shortcuts to using the mouse, and blind computer users never use mice.)

1. What are special keys on a Windows 7 keyboard?

Special keys on a Windows 7 keyboard are keys that have specific functions beyond typing letters and numbers. These keys are usually located in the top row of the keyboard and are labeled with symbols or words. Examples of special keys include the Windows key, function keys, and media control keys.

2. What is the purpose of the Windows key on a Windows 7 keyboard?

The Windows key, also known as the Start key, is used to open the Start menu on a Windows 7 computer. It can also be used in combination with other keys to perform various shortcuts, such as opening the Task Manager or locking the computer.

3. How do I use the function keys on a Windows 7 keyboard?

The function keys, labeled F1 to F12, have different functions depending on the program or application you are using. In general, they are used to perform specific tasks such as adjusting screen brightness, controlling volume, or opening help menus. To use the function keys, simply press the desired key while holding down the Fn key (usually located near the bottom left corner of the keyboard).

4. What are media control keys on a Windows 7 keyboard used for?

Media control keys on a Windows 7 keyboard are used to control media playback on the computer. These keys include Play/Pause, Stop, Next Track, and Previous Track. They can be helpful when listening to music or watching videos on your computer.

5. Can I customize the function of special keys on a Windows 7 keyboard?

Yes, you can customize the function of special keys on a Windows 7 keyboard by using third-party software or built-in Windows settings. Some keyboards also come with customizable keys that allow you to assign specific functions or shortcuts to them. This can be useful for increasing productivity and making your keyboard more personalized to your needs.