What is the speed of sound and time period of oscillating particles?

In summary, the question is asking for the speed of sound given the frequency and distance. However, the calculation provided is incorrect as the formula used is for average speed, not instantaneous speed. The correct formula to use is speed = wavelength x frequency or distance traveled by the sound during one cycle / duration of one cycle.
PrakashPrasad
I have a question to solve - A boy heard a sound of frequency 100 Hz at a distance of 500 m from the source of sound. What is the speed of sound? What is the time period of oscillating particles of the medium?

I have approached the below way :

We know that speed = distance / time [1/T=Frequency)

Hence speed = distance x Frequency = 500 m x 100 Hz = 50 km

Now given that Frequency is 100 Hz which is nothing but 100 oscillation per sec = So 1 oscillation = 1 / 100 = 0.01 sec.

Please let me know if my answers are correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
PrakashPrasad said:
I have a question to solve - A boy heard a sound of frequency 100 Hz at a distance of 500 m from the source of sound. What is the speed of sound? ?
There is not enough information here to answer anything. This does not seem to be a meaningful question.

phinds said:
There is not enough information here to answer anything. This does not seem to be a meaningful question.
Thanks - can you please explain me what information is missing - is my calculation to calculate the speed of sound is correct as mentioned in my main post?

PrakashPrasad said:
Thanks - can you please explain me what information is missing - is my calculation to calculate the speed of sound is correct as mentioned in my main post?
No. You gave the speed as "50 km", which has units of distance. Speed has units of distance per unit time.

You can look up the speed of sound in air to see what an accurate answer might be.

You are misusing the formulae : speed = distance / time and 1/T=Frequency
Here T is not the general quantity "time" , but specifically the time for one cycle of the sound
Your conclusion, "Hence speed = distance x Frequency" would be true only when time was the duration of one cycle and distance was one wavelength.
The correct conclusion is that speed = wavelength x frequency ( = distance traveled by the sound during one cycle x frequency)
or that speed = distance traveled by the sound during one cycle / duration of one cycle (= wavelength / T )

Likes PrakashPrasad
Merlin3189 said:
You are misusing the formulae : speed = distance / time and 1/T=Frequency
Here T is not the general quantity "time" , but specifically the time for one cycle of the sound
Your conclusion, "Hence speed = distance x Frequency" would be true only when time was the duration of one cycle and distance was one wavelength.
The correct conclusion is that speed = wavelength x frequency ( = distance traveled by the sound during one cycle x frequency)
or that speed = distance traveled by the sound during one cycle / duration of one cycle (= wavelength / T )
Thanks - I got your point - thanks for the lucid explanation and clearing my concept

1. What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound waves travel through a medium, such as air or water. It is commonly measured in meters per second, and the speed can vary depending on factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude.

2. How is the speed of sound calculated?

The speed of sound can be calculated using the equation v = √(γRT), where v is the speed of sound, γ is the ratio of specific heats of the medium, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What affects the speed of sound?

The speed of sound can be affected by several factors, including the temperature, humidity, altitude, and the density and composition of the medium through which the sound is traveling. For example, sound travels faster through solids than through gases.

4. Why does sound travel faster in solids than in gases?

Sound travels faster in solids because the molecules in a solid are closer together, allowing sound waves to travel more quickly and efficiently. In gases, the molecules are more spread out, causing sound waves to travel at a slower speed.

5. What is the difference between the speed of sound and the speed of light?

The speed of sound is significantly slower than the speed of light. In air at room temperature, sound travels at approximately 343 meters per second, while light travels at approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. Additionally, sound requires a medium to travel through, while light can travel through a vacuum.