Spherical conductor with point charge not in center

In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of charges in a spherical conductor with a centered cavity and a point charge not in the center of the cavity. The poster is unsure about the correct answer, with their tutor saying it is 4 and the poster believing it is 1. There is also a question about the electric field between the charge and the conductor, with the tutor saying it is zero but the poster questioning this based on Gauss' law. The conversation concludes by mentioning the definition of a conductor and how this relates to the correct answer being 4. The poster initially thought the answer was 1, but is now curious to hear from more experienced individuals.
Nosegum

Homework Statement

How do the charges distribute when I have a spherical conductor centered cavity with a point charge not in center inside the cavity?

See image:
36788.jpg

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I would guess solution 1, but my tutor says it's 4, and I just can't believe him. Should I?

Physics news on Phys.org
Question: what is a conductor?

(that may help you)

It does not help me. I have been studying this a lot and have kind of made up my mind on 1. I guess my real problem is that I'm wondering about if my tutor should be teaching physics...

Anyway, how would the electric field be between the charge and the conductor? My tutor says zero, but that does not obey Gauss' law, so I don't believe that either.

The question is not what the electric field is between the charge and the conductor. You are asked how the charge is distributed in the conductor. If you read the definition of conductor, you'll see why 4. is the right answer (think about equipotential surface).

I'd have answered 1 too. Certainly not 4.
I wonder what the experienced guys think.

Related to Spherical conductor with point charge not in center

What is a spherical conductor with a point charge not in the center?

A spherical conductor is a three-dimensional object that allows for the flow of electric charge. When a point charge, or a single charge concentrated at a point, is placed on the surface of the conductor but not at the center, it creates an electric field that is radially symmetric around the point charge.

How does the electric field behave around a spherical conductor with a point charge not in the center?

The electric field around a spherical conductor with a point charge not in the center is radially symmetric, meaning that it is the same in all directions from the point charge. The magnitude of the electric field decreases as the distance from the point charge increases.

What is the potential energy of a spherical conductor with a point charge not in the center?

The potential energy of a spherical conductor with a point charge not in the center is directly proportional to the product of the point charge and the electric potential at that point. It also depends on the distance from the point charge and the radius of the conductor.

How does the presence of the point charge affect the electric potential of the spherical conductor?

The presence of the point charge on the surface of the spherical conductor creates an electric potential that is strongest at the point charge and decreases as the distance from the point charge increases. The point charge also affects the distribution of electric potential on the surface of the conductor.

What is the electric field inside the spherical conductor with a point charge not in the center?

Inside the spherical conductor with a point charge not in the center, the electric field is zero. This is because the free electrons in the conductor are free to move and will arrange themselves in such a way that the electric field inside is cancelled out. This is known as the Faraday cage effect.