Spin Orbit Coupling + Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving for the Hamiltonian and using Clebsch-Gordan coefficients to express the ##|J,J_z \rangle## states in terms of eigenstates of ##L^2## and ##S^2##. The process involves transforming the kets, applying the Hamiltonian, and taking the inner product with the bra. The notation used is ## j, l, s ## and the goal is to go from ##|J,J_z \rangle## to ##|L, M_L, S, M_S\rangle##.
t0pquark
Homework Statement
For the ground state of a certain atom, the spin-orbit interaction and magnetic field interaction give the Hamiltonian ##H = E (J^2-L^2-S^2) + \frac{\hbar e B}{2mc}##.
Find the four matrix elements ##\langle J, J_z \vert H \vert J', J_z \rangle ## for the states ##\vert J = \frac{3}{2}, J_z = \frac{1}{2} \rangle ## and ##\vert J = \frac{5}{2}, J_z = \frac{1}{2} \rangle ## (and their four possible combinations).
Relevant Equations
"Your answer should make use of a table of Clebsch-Gordon coefficients and require minimal math."
I am pretty confused where to even start with this question, which is not a good thing less than a week before the final :(. One thing in particular that I don't get is that I thought we were using the Clebsch-Gordon coefficients for ##\vert jm \rangle ## states, not for ##\vert J, J_z \rangle ##.
Where should I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the Hamiltonian is correct? I would expect some operator in the term for the magnetic field.

The Hamiltonian includes the operators ##L^2## and ##S^2##, so you will need to express the ##| J, J_z \rangle## states in terms of eigenstates of ##L^2## and ##S^2##. This is where the CG coefficients will come in.

DrClaude said:
Are you sure the Hamiltonian is correct? I would expect some operator in the term for the magnetic field.

The Hamiltonian includes the operators ##L^2## and ##S^2##, so you will need to express the ##| J, J_z \rangle## states in terms of eigenstates of ##L^2## and ##S^2##. This is where the CG coefficients will come in.

Oooops that was definitely me copying incorrectly. The Hamiltonian should be ## H = E (J^2-L^2-S^2) + \frac{\hbar e B}{2mc}(L_z+2S_z)##

Okay so starting with the Clebsch-Gordon table I want to use the section with 2 x 1/2??
I think I would get ## \vert J = \frac{5}{2}, J_z=\frac{1}{2} \rangle = \sqrt{\frac{2}{5}} \vert 1, -1/2 \rangle + \sqrt{\frac{3}{5}} \vert 0, +1/2 \rangle ## and ## \vert J = \frac{3}{2}, J_z=\frac{1}{2} \rangle = \sqrt{\frac{3}{5}} \vert 1, -1/2 \rangle - \sqrt{\frac{2}{5}} \vert 0, +1/2 \rangle ##

Do I then apply each term of the Hamiltonian to this? I'm still kind of fumbling around for what to do here.

t0pquark said:
Okay so starting with the Clebsch-Gordon table I want to use the section with 2 x 1/2??
I think I would get ## \vert J = \frac{5}{2}, J_z=\frac{1}{2} \rangle = \sqrt{\frac{2}{5}} \vert 1, -1/2 \rangle + \sqrt{\frac{3}{5}} \vert 0, +1/2 \rangle ## and ## \vert J = \frac{3}{2}, J_z=\frac{1}{2} \rangle = \sqrt{\frac{3}{5}} \vert 1, -1/2 \rangle - \sqrt{\frac{2}{5}} \vert 0, +1/2 \rangle ##
I don't think this is correct. Just to be clear: what is the notation here?

t0pquark said:
Do I then apply each term of the Hamiltonian to this? I'm still kind of fumbling around for what to do here.
You are on the right track. When you have transformed the ##| J, J_z \rangle## into kets that are simultaneous eigenkets of all the operators in the Hamiltonian, you apply ##H## to those eigenkets and then take the inner product with the bra.

DrClaude said:
I don't think this is correct. Just to be clear: what is the notation here?

I think this is where I'm confused. My logic was that the total angular momentum must be 2 and the total spin angular momentum must be 1/2, so I would want the 2 x 1/2 section on the Clebsch-Gordan table, then I find the results for ## \vert J = \frac{5}{2}, J_z = \frac{1}{2} ## and ## \vert J = \frac{3}{2}, J_z = \frac{1}{2} ## by reading down. I guess I don't really understand what I'm doing here.

I can apply each term of the Hamiltonian if I know ## j, l, s ## (like ## L_z \vert l, m \rangle = \hbar m \vert l, m \rangle##), but I'm not sure what I get out of the Clebsch-Gordan table.

t0pquark said:
I think this is where I'm confused. My logic was that the total angular momentum must be 2 and the total spin angular momentum must be 1/2, so I would want the 2 x 1/2 section on the Clebsch-Gordan table, then I find the results for ## \vert J = \frac{5}{2}, J_z = \frac{1}{2} ## and ## \vert J = \frac{3}{2}, J_z = \frac{1}{2} ## by reading down. I guess I don't really understand what I'm doing here.
You are correct that you must have ##L=2##, ##S=1/2##.

t0pquark said:
I can apply each term of the Hamiltonian if I know ## j, l, s ## (like ## L_z \vert l, m \rangle = \hbar m \vert l, m \rangle##), but I'm not sure what I get out of the Clebsch-Gordan table.

You want to go from ##|J,J_z \rangle## to ##|L, M_L, S, M_S\rangle##, so you have
$$
|J,J_z \rangle = \sum_{L,M_L,S,M_S} |L, M_L, S, M_S\rangle \langle L, M_L, S, M_S |J,J_z \rangle
$$
where the ##\langle L, M_L, S, M_S |J,J_z \rangle## are the CG coefficients.

Once you have these decompositions, you can know the action of each of the angular momentum operators on the kets ##|J,J_z \rangle## and you can build the matrix for the Hamiltonian.

1. What is spin orbit coupling?

Spin orbit coupling is a phenomenon in which the spin and orbital motion of an electron are coupled together. This means that the direction of an electron's spin can affect its orbital motion, and vice versa.

2. How does spin orbit coupling work?

Spin orbit coupling is a result of the interaction between the magnetic field created by an electron's motion and the intrinsic magnetic moment of the electron due to its spin. This interaction leads to a coupling between the spin and orbital motion of the electron.

3. What is the role of magnetic field in spin orbit coupling?

The magnetic field plays a crucial role in spin orbit coupling as it creates the necessary conditions for the interaction between the spin and orbital motion of an electron. Without a magnetic field, spin orbit coupling would not occur.

4. How does a magnetic field affect spin orbit coupling?

A magnetic field can either enhance or suppress spin orbit coupling, depending on its strength and direction. A strong magnetic field can lead to a stronger coupling between the spin and orbital motion of an electron, while a weak magnetic field can weaken or even break the coupling.

5. What are the applications of spin orbit coupling + magnetic field?

Spin orbit coupling + magnetic field has many applications in various fields of science and technology. It is used in spintronic devices, quantum computing, and understanding the magnetic properties of materials. It also plays a crucial role in the behavior of atoms and molecules in external magnetic fields.