Spiral Galaxies: Why Do Arms Bifurcate & What's Moving In/Out?

In summary, the visible matter in spiral galaxies is moving in and out from the center, but the arms are an illusion.
Sanborn Chase
Gold Member
Why do the arms of spiral galaxies usually bifurcate? Is the visible matter in them moving in or out from the center?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The visible matter is mostly moving in complicated elliptical orbits about the center of the galaxy, but I'm sure a small amount is sent towards or away from the center due to gravitational interactions. I can't answer why they are bifurcated though.

Sanborn Chase said:
Why do the arms of spiral galaxies usually bifurcate? Is the visible matter in them moving in or out from the center?

2 armed galaxies are only one of many forms, many have multiple arms, many have none that can be easily identified

One thing to keep in mind is that spiral arms in galaxies are "density waves" and not actual structures of the matter. They represent the area where many millions of stellar orbits reach their maximum distance from the galactic center of mass. At this point they are traveling the slowest and so "pile up" in the region producing the appearance of more stars than in-between the arms. But the individual stars in each arm are changing continuously.

Put another way, the arms are an illusion. They aren't like a whirlpool or anything like that.

Likes stoomart
rexregisanimi said:
One thing to keep in mind is that spiral arms in galaxies are "density waves" and not actual structures of the matter. They represent the area where many millions of stellar orbits reach their maximum distance from the galactic center of mass. At this point they are traveling the slowest and so "pile up" in the region producing the appearance of more stars than in-between the arms. But the individual stars in each arm are changing continuously.

Put another way, the arms are an illusion. They aren't like a whirlpool or anything like that.
ohh yeah ?
I would like to see some valid citations for your comment !

there is NO "appearance" they are really there you can see them go supernova, you can do spectroscopic work on those stars

Their location IS physical

Dave

davenn said:
2 armed galaxies are only one of many forms, many have multiple arms, many have none that can be easily identified

The stars are real but the arms in a spiral galaxy are not; as I stated, they are simply an illusion. I'd recommend An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics as a reference. It's in one of the later chapters if I recall correctly...

(Think of where an oscillating particle spends most of its time: on the edges of its motion. This is because it is traveling slowest at that point. It's the same thing with galaxies and stellar orbits. The stars just spend more time there.)

The stars in a galaxy really are [were, given the finite speed of light] where they appear to be as Dave noted, however, Rex is correct in that they do not form and remain in spiral arms as they orbit a spiral galaxy. Their individual motions follow a density wave profile as illustrated here .

Likes Imager, DrClaude and Drakkith
Chronos said:
The stars in a galaxy really are [were, given the finite speed of light] where they appear to be as Dave noted, however, Rex is correct in that they do not form and remain in spiral arms as they orbit a spiral galaxy. Their individual motions follow a density wave profile as illustrated here .

First, thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions.
Chronos, the video clip of the motions of stars in a spiral galaxy was most illuminating and answered the second part of my first post concerning the movement of individual stars into and out of the center.
As the galaxy itself is moving through space(and time) would it not form the basic configuration of a transformer?
Again, many thanks to all of you.

Excellent video!

Sanborn Chase, do you mean an electric transformer?

rexregisanimi said:
Excellent video!

Sanborn Chase, do you mean an electric transformer?
Yes, an electrical type transformer in its form. And Mr. Bernhardt cautioned me about posting pet theories, personal opinions, etc. I trust I haven't bent the pipe.

Sanborn Chase said:
As the galaxy itself is moving through space(and time) would it not form the basic configuration of a transformer?

No. Not at all.

Sanborn Chase said:
Yes, an electrical type transformer in its form.
I'm curious what characteristic led you to that conclusion. I must be missing something because I just don't see it at all. I mean, I know that it's NOT, I'm just curious why you think it might be.

Sanborn Chase said:
Probably because of near or actual collision with other galaxies,
More galaxies are spheriod/elipitical

I may have been misunderstood by Mr. Phinds; spiral galaxies when considered over time seem to describe a form similar to an electrical transformer. I don't believe they are electrical transformers, although they may be. I'm trying to understand the reasons for the various forms galaxies take on as they transform one or more things into others. Their forms must follow their purposes.

Sanborn Chase said:
... Their forms must follow their purposes.
A galaxy has a purpose?

Likes Sanborn Chase
Sanborn Chase said:
spiral galaxies when considered over time seem to describe a form similar to an electrical transformer.
Say which what?

Likes 1oldman2 and davenn
Have I said something heretical? Is it not proper to assume the stars have arranged themselves so for a reason, and this may be worthy of our scrutiny?

Sanborn Chase said:
Have I said something heretical? Is it not proper to assume the stars have arranged themselves so for a reason, and this may be worthy of our scrutiny?
I think we're all confused why a galaxy seems related to an electrical transformer. Perhaps you could explain what you mean?

The motion and arrangement of stars in galaxies is deeply studied. It's really quite interesting!

Sanborn Chase said:
Is it not proper to assume the stars have arranged themselves so for a reason, and this may be worthy of our scrutiny?
No, the stars do not "arrange themselves". That puts an anthropomorphic spin on inanimate objects and thus is not science. Studying how the stars are arranged is certainly a valid (and interesting) field of study but let's not bring consciousness into it.

Likes Evo
Sanborn Chase said:
I may have been misunderstood by Mr. Phinds; spiral galaxies when considered over time seem to describe a form similar to an electrical transformer. I don't believe they are electrical transformers, although they may be. I'm trying to understand the reasons for the various forms galaxies take on as they transform one or more things into others. Their forms must follow their purposes.
And you STILL have not explained this apparently nonsensical statement. Please do so.

I think it's time to put this transformer thing to rest. First, allow me to extend my thanks to all who have addressed my observation.
In the course of creating a visualization of the of the theoretical sphere of dark matter surrounding galaxies, particularly spiral galaxies, I created an animation very similar to the one posted on this thread. When I then animated these motions through time, I was immediately struck by the similarity of form it described with an old time electrical transformer with primary and secondary coils, etc. I was curious if anyone had a similar experience. This prompted the post. Evidently, no one has; so be it.
Mr. Phinds: please change "arrange themselves" to "are arranged". Incidentally, my wife, who is also a heavenly body, agrees with you wholeheartedly that I'm nonsensical and not very scientific. I've informed her that someone who obviously resides in a very deep pool of knowledge agrees with her.
Merry Christmas to all and goodnight.

Likes Bandersnatch
Excellent end to your post! I love the "heavenly body" comment :)

Many things look like each other and sometimes our minds like to connect them together because of it. A transformer and a galaxy are not related in any significant way but to model a galaxy in your mind as a transformer to recall accurately the structure isn't as bad as not knowing the structure at all!

Have a merry Christmas yourself.

Sanborn Chase said:
Mr. Phinds: please change "arrange themselves" to "are arranged".
Ah, where's the fun in that. It leaves me nothing to nitpick about.

Incidentally, my wife, who is also a heavenly body, agrees with you wholeheartedly that I'm nonsensical and not very scientific. I've informed her that someone who obviously resides in a very deep pool of knowledge agrees with her.
Well, some of us here are just wading.

I hope I have expanded your horizons without being offensive. There are many more questions than answers and, hopefully, that will remain true for the foreseeable future. Keep exploring!

Likes Sanborn Chase
Nice end to a strange thread.

Likes davenn and 1oldman2

1. Why do spiral galaxies have arms that bifurcate?

Spiral galaxies have arms that bifurcate due to a combination of two factors: gravity and differential rotation. The gravity of the galaxy's central bulge pulls on the stars and gas in the disk, causing them to form a spiral pattern. At the same time, the disk is rotating at different speeds, with the inner parts moving faster than the outer parts. This differential rotation causes the spiral arms to wind up and eventually bifurcate, creating multiple branches.

2. What causes the movement of material in and out of the spiral arms?

The movement of material in and out of spiral arms is primarily driven by gravitational forces. The central bulge of the galaxy exerts a strong gravitational pull on the stars and gas in the disk, causing them to move towards the center. However, the spiral arms themselves also contain pockets of gas and dust that can collapse and form new stars, causing material to move away from the arms. Additionally, interactions with neighboring galaxies or other external forces can also affect the movement of material in and out of the spiral arms.

3. Do all spiral galaxies have arms that bifurcate?

No, not all spiral galaxies have arms that bifurcate. Some spiral galaxies have tightly wound arms that do not split into multiple branches. This can be due to a variety of factors, such as the mass and density of the galaxy's central bulge, the amount of gas and dust in the disk, and the speed of rotation. The exact formation and structure of spiral arms is still an area of active research in astrophysics.

4. Is there a specific direction in which spiral arms bifurcate?

There is no specific direction in which spiral arms bifurcate. The direction of bifurcation can vary among different spiral galaxies and can also change over time. This is due to the complex interplay of factors such as gravity, rotation, and external influences. Observations have shown that some spiral galaxies have arms that bifurcate in a spiral pattern, while others may have more of a branching pattern.

5. Can the movement of material in and out of spiral arms affect the overall structure of the galaxy?

Yes, the movement of material in and out of spiral arms can affect the overall structure of a galaxy. The formation of new stars in the arms can change the mass distribution and alter the gravitational forces within the galaxy. This can result in the rearrangement of material and potentially even the formation of new spiral arms. Additionally, interactions with other galaxies or external forces can also greatly impact the structure of a spiral galaxy over time.