Spring forces / Deflection of springs of members

In summary, the brake linkage for a truck is actuated by a hydraulic cylinder and is supported by four slotted tracks that are frictionless. Given a tensile force of 12 kips, the deflection and forces in members AC, AE, and AG need to be determined. By using equilibrium equations and knowing that points CE and G move the same distance, it is possible to write enough equations to solve for the unknowns.
RelicJ

Homework Statement

The brake linkage for a truck is actuated by hydraulic cylinder AB. Cylinder AB, springs CD, EF, and GH are the slotted tracks are all horizontal. The slotted tracks are frictionless. If the cylinder AB exerts a tensile force of 12 kips, determine the deflection d and the forces in members AC, AE, and AG.

The photograph of the situation given is below, along with my attempt with free body diagrams.

Homework Equations

F = kd (spring equation)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was unsure where to really start, but my teacher did give us a few clues. I broke the problem into 4 different free body diagrams which I have attached and I figured out multiple equations using equilibrium equations like sums of forces in the x and y direction. I am unsure where to go from here... if this is even correct.

Attachments

• rsz_problem.jpg
    rsz_problem.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 465
  • FBD.jpg
    FBD.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,091
Physics news on Phys.org
Once the brakes are operated and everything has stopped moving the forces on various points sum to zero. For example on point G in the horizontal direction you can write..

FAGCos(45) + FGH = 0

You can write other similar equations for other points in your diagrams including one for point A.

You also know that points CE and G all move the same distance.

Should be possible to write enough equations to solve for the unknowns.

1) What is the relationship between spring force and deflection?

The relationship between spring force and deflection is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed from its rest position. In other words, the more a spring is stretched or compressed, the greater the force it exerts.

2) How is the stiffness of a spring determined?

The stiffness, or spring constant, of a spring can be determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by the resulting deflection. This value represents the amount of force required to produce a unit deflection (e.g. N/m or lbs/in).

3) What factors affect the deflection of a spring?

The deflection of a spring is affected by several factors, including the material, length, and diameter of the spring, as well as the amount of force applied. Additionally, the number of coils in the spring and the type of ends (e.g. closed or open) can also impact deflection.

4) How does temperature affect the deflection of springs?

In general, an increase in temperature can cause a spring to lose stiffness and become more pliable, resulting in a higher deflection for a given force. Additionally, extreme temperatures can cause permanent deformation or failure of a spring.

5) Can a spring be designed to have a specific deflection?

Yes, springs can be designed to have a specific deflection by adjusting factors such as material, diameter, and number of coils. Computer-aided design (CAD) software can also be used to calculate and predict the deflection of a spring based on its design parameters.