Stability Analysis for Nyquist Criteria Homework Question

In summary: If G(s) is an open-loop transfer function then the thing that matters for determining stability of G(s)+1 is encirclement of G(s) of (-1,0), not (0,0).The Attempt at a SolutionThere is 1 open loop pole on RHSFor Close loop poles I used Routh Herwitz method and got 1 pole on RHS. 1 sign change.So I get N = 0.Where am I wrong?
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-9_17-33-11.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

Number of encirclements = Number of open loop poles - Number of Close loop poles on Right side of S plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

There is 1 open loop pole on RHS
For Close loop poles I used Routh Herwitz method and got 1 pole on RHS. 1 sign change.
So I get N = 0.
Where am I wrong?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-9_17-32-59.png
    upload_2017-12-9_17-32-59.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 515
  • upload_2017-12-9_17-33-11.png
    upload_2017-12-9_17-33-11.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 910
Physics news on Phys.org
jaus tail said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 216387[/B]

Homework Equations

Number of encirclements = Number of open loop poles - Number of Close loop poles on Right side of S plane.
Why are you trying to deal with closed-loop poles? Nyquist is strictly an open-loop stability criterion. G(s) is the open-loop transfer function.

rude man said:
Why are you trying to deal with closed-loop poles? Nyquist is strictly an open-loop stability criterion. G(s) is the open-loop transfer function.
Nyquist criteria says encirclement of -1 + j0 is number of open loop poles - series of characteristic equation.
Characteristic equation is 1 + G(s)

jaus tail said:
Nyquist criteria says encirclement of -1 + j0 is number of open loop poles - series of characteristic equation.
Characteristic equation is 1 + G(s)
What do you mean by "series of characteristic equation"?
The Nyquist method does not involve closed-loop transfer functions.
Nyquist determines whether the closed-loop transfer function is stable but its methodology does not involve any closed-loop transfer functions.

I see from your attachment that in some cases they do consider closed-loop RHS poles, in others they stick to open-loop only.
I have to admit I never heard of doing Nyquist analysis with anything other than open-loop transfer functions. Seems to me undesirable to have to compute 1 + G(s).
So the only way I know to do this is
(1) determine the Re and Im parts of G
(2) draw polar plot of G
(3) follow rules of Nyquist stability determination.
Sorry that's all I can tell you.

Likes jaus tail
Sorry for the typo. It was 'zeroes' of characteristic equation and not 'series'. But yeah you're right. I read the question wrong. It says encircle the origin and not encircle -1

jaus tail said:
Sorry for the typo. It was 'zeroes' of characteristic equation and not 'series'. But yeah you're right. I read the question wrong. It says encircle the origin and not encircle -1
OK. I have to admit I don't know on what basis the solution to ex. 39 is given.
If G(s) is an open-loop transfer function then the thing that matters for determining stability of G(s)+1 is encirclement of G(s) of (-1,0), not (0,0). In other words, I guess I really don't understand their reasoning.

Likes jaus tail

1. What is Nyquist Criteria Stability?

Nyquist Criteria Stability is a mathematical concept used to analyze the stability of a system. It is based on the Nyquist plot, which represents the frequency response of a system in the complex plane. This criteria is commonly used in control systems engineering to determine if a system is stable or not.

2. How does Nyquist Criteria Stability work?

Nyquist Criteria Stability works by plotting the transfer function of a system in the complex plane and analyzing the shape and behavior of the Nyquist plot. It takes into account both the magnitude and phase response of a system to determine its stability.

3. What does a Nyquist plot tell us about stability?

A Nyquist plot can tell us if a system is stable, marginally stable, or unstable. A stable system will have all of its poles located in the left half of the complex plane, while an unstable system will have at least one pole located in the right half. A marginally stable system will have a pole located on the imaginary axis.

4. How is Nyquist Criteria Stability used in real-world applications?

Nyquist Criteria Stability is commonly used in the design and analysis of control systems, such as in aircraft autopilot systems, industrial robots, and electronic circuits. It allows engineers to predict the stability of a system before it is implemented, and make adjustments to improve its stability if necessary.

5. Are there any limitations to Nyquist Criteria Stability?

Yes, there are some limitations to Nyquist Criteria Stability. It assumes a linear and time-invariant system, and may not be applicable to systems with nonlinear or time-varying characteristics. It also does not take into account external disturbances or uncertainties in the system, which can affect its stability.