Stabilizing Voltage for Phone Charging: Help Needed

• Thread starter Sean D
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary: Once you know that, you can look for a charger that meets those capabilities.In summary, The battery design is connected to a capacitor in order to stabilize voltage and current.
Sean D
Hi guys,

I'm new here and I was looking for a little help with a project I'm working on. I'm trying to build a saltwater battery that will connect to a phone via usb and charge the phone. However, it doesn't seem like I can connect the battery to the phone directly because the voltage and current aren't very stable. I've read online that plugging in a source with unstable voltage to a phone can mess up the phone. Is there anything I could use to get a stable voltage so I can plug in the phone safely? I was thinking of using a voltage regulator in a breadboard I have. Thanks a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Sean D. :welcome:

Sounds like a novel idea! Can you give some details of your battery design so we can see whether you'd have enough power there to try to stabilise.

I'm not even sure that one can, in practice, trickle charge a standard phone, either.

Some phones will charge at different rates depending on resistors connected to the USB lines to various voltages (or not charge at all if the right conditions are not met). The minimum is often 0.5A or more. To use a high impedance source you will likely need to slow charge an intermediate battery with a dedicated circuit then charge the phone with that.

BoB

NascentOxygen said:
Hi Sean D. :welcome:

Can you give some details of your battery design so we can see whether you'd have enough power there to try to stabilise.
Thanks everyone. I am using 4 aluminum and copper cells connected in series which will then be connected to a USB. The saltwater will be a maximum concentration
solution. Ideally, I'd like to get around 5V and 1A, but I'm not sure how plausible that is because I haven't been able to test the design yet.

rbelli1 said:
To use a high impedance source you will likely need to slow charge an intermediate battery with a dedicated circuit then charge the phone with that.
BoB

I've seen people online use an intermediate battery. The point of my design is to offer a more environmentally friendly alternative to a Li-ion battery so connecting an intermediate battery would defeat the purpose. That being said if that ended up being the only way I could do it I would use the intermediate.

Break this into parts -
Make the Battery
Charge a Capacitor as the initial load and test the battery.
Develop a Voltage controller ( regulator) based on the typical voltage you can get on the capacitor. There are many ways to set up a charger for a cell phone, but the first piece of info you need is what are the capabilities of the source.

Related to Stabilizing Voltage for Phone Charging: Help Needed

1. What is voltage stabilization for phone charging?

Voltage stabilization for phone charging is the process of maintaining a consistent and safe level of electrical voltage while charging a phone. This helps to protect the phone from potential damage and ensures efficient charging.

2. Why is voltage stabilization important for phone charging?

Voltage stabilization is important for phone charging because it helps to prevent overcharging, which can cause damage to the phone's battery and decrease its lifespan. It also ensures that the phone is charging at the optimal voltage for efficient and safe charging.

3. How does voltage stabilization work for phone charging?

Voltage stabilization works by regulating the flow of electricity to the phone, maintaining a consistent voltage level. This is usually done through the use of a voltage regulator or a dedicated charging circuit.

4. What are the consequences of not having voltage stabilization for phone charging?

Without voltage stabilization, there is a risk of overcharging the phone, which can lead to damage to the battery and decrease its lifespan. In some cases, it can also cause the phone to overheat or malfunction.

5. Are there any other benefits of voltage stabilization for phone charging?

Yes, besides protecting the phone from potential damage, voltage stabilization also helps to ensure that the phone is charging efficiently and at a safe level. This can help to extend the battery's lifespan and improve the overall performance of the phone.