Standing waves and refractive index question. help needed

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving thin-film interference between two optically flat glass plates separated by oil with different refractive indices. The goal is to determine the wavelength of the monochromatic light illuminating the plates by using the equation for single slit diffraction. The link provided offers guidance on interference on thin layers and the equation 2nt=(m+1/2)*wavelength is discussed. The refractive index of the material between the plates and the thickness of the wedge are key factors in solving the problem, with the fringes being 2 mm apart and the thickness of the wedge changing between each fringe.
ppy

Homework Statement

Two optically flat glass plates, 16.0 cm long, are in contact at one end and separated by 0.0200 mm at the other end. The space between the plates is occupied by oil with index of refraction 1.45. The index of refraction of the glass plates is 1.55. The plates are illuminated at normal incidence with monochromatic light, and fringes are observed. If the dark fringes are spaced 2.00 mm apart, what is the wavelength of the monochromatic light?

Homework Equations

n=c/v where n=index of refraction v= velocity in medium

maybe y=(p * wavelength*L)/a y=position of dark fringe p=0,1,2,...

a=slit width L= length from slit to screen

This is the equation for single slit diffraction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure. Is this question to do with single slit diffraction. If so how do i use the refactive index of the glass and oil in the question. altogether very confused.

Help appreciated thanks.

Also is the light source shining on the side of the glass plate?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is thin-film interference on the oil wedge.

ehild

How do i attempt the question though? What do i us etc?

I have tried that link and found this equation
2nt=(m+1/2)* wavelength

but is n the refractive index of the glass or the oil. Also what is t in response to my question? Is it the thickness of the wedge and if so what is the thickness of the wedge in the question?

Really do not understand

n is the refractive index of the material between the plates, and t is the thickness of the wedge at the place where destructive interference occurs. The thickness of the wedge changes, and m, the range of interference changes by 1 between a fringe and the next one. You know that the fringes are 2 mm apart. How much does the thickness change between the fringes then? You know both the length and the height of the wedge.

ehild

1. What are standing waves?

Standing waves are a type of wave that forms when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This results in a wave pattern that appears to be standing still, hence the name "standing wave".

2. How are standing waves formed?

Standing waves are formed when a wave reflects off of a fixed boundary, such as a wall or a string tied to a fixed point. The reflected wave then interferes with the original wave, creating a pattern of nodes (points of no displacement) and antinodes (points of maximum displacement).

3. What is the relationship between standing waves and the refractive index?

The refractive index is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light passing through it. In the context of standing waves, the refractive index can affect the wavelength and frequency of the wave, which in turn affects the pattern of nodes and antinodes formed.

4. How does the refractive index affect the formation of standing waves?

The refractive index affects the formation of standing waves by changing the speed of the wave as it passes through a material. This change in speed results in a change in wavelength, which can alter the pattern of nodes and antinodes formed by the interference of the wave with its reflection.

5. How can I calculate the refractive index in a standing wave system?

To calculate the refractive index in a standing wave system, you will need to know the wavelength and frequency of the wave, as well as the speed of light in the original medium and the material it is passing through. The formula for calculating refractive index is n = c/v, where c is the speed of light in a vacuum and v is the speed of light in the medium. Plugging in the appropriate values will give you the refractive index for that particular system.