Static equilibrium pulley problem

In summary: OK. :thumbs: Horizontal component: -F1sinθ + F2 = 0Vertical component: F1cosθ - mg = 0Substitute F1 and F2 with T and sum them, which leaves:-Tsinθ + F2 + Tcosθ - mg = 0Solving for F2:F2 = T(sinθ + cosθ) - mgSince T = mg, F2 = mg(sinθ + cosθ) - mgF2 = mg(sinθ + cosθ - 1)I think this is right. Yes, that is it:F2 = mg(sinθ + cosθ - 1) In summary, the relationship between
virtuoso735

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/3716/staticeqpulley.jpg

Hopefully the image showed up. If not, here's the link: http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3716/staticeqpulley.jpg"

Sorry for the low quality pictures. Hopefully it will do though. The question is: Relate the traction force F3 to the weight mg and the angle theta.

Homework Equations

They give us that the tension T is uniform throughout the string (i.e. F1, F2 = T). F3 acts along the horizontal.

The Attempt at a Solution

I resolved the diagonal forces into horizontal and vertical components. Since θ1 and θ2 are equal I just call them both θ. The system is in static equilibrium so the total force is zero. So I expand the equilibrium equations out as follows:

-F1cosθ - F2cosθ + F3 = 0

and

-F1sinθ + F2sinθ = 0

Also, T = mg

Do I just sum the two equations above and set them equal to mg? That doesn't make sense since the sum is 0, and mg is certainly not 0. Or should I sum them and subtract mg from the sum?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, virtuoso735, welcome to PF! :smile:

virtuoso735 said:

Homework Statement

The question is: Relate the traction force F3 to the weight mg and the angle theta.

Homework Equations

They give us that the tension T is uniform throughout the string (i.e. F1, F2 = F3).
F1 = F2, but F3 is not part of the string. F3 does not = F1 or F2.
F3 acts along the horizontal.
yes.

The Attempt at a Solution

I resolved the diagonal forces into horizontal and vertical components. Since θ1 and θ2 are equal I just call them both θ. The system is in static equilibrium so the total force is zero. So I expand the equilibrium equations out as follows:

-F1cosθ - F2cosθ + F3 = 0
correct.
and

-F1sinθ + F2sinθ = 0
yes, but since F1 = F2, this just tells you that 0 = 0, a well known fact.:wink: . But it also tells you that θ1 = θ2, something you assumed or realized earlier.
Also, T = mg
yes, and T = F1 = F2
Do I just sum the two equations above and set them equal to mg? That doesn't make sense since the sum is 0, and mg is certainly not 0. Or should I sum them and subtract mg from the sum?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
Try it again, and see what you get.

Is this right?

I replace the F1 and F2 with T. So I get -Tcosθ - Tcosθ + F3 - mg = 0.

-2Tcosθ + F3 = mg

Then I replace the T with mg, so -2mgcosθ + F3 = mg

Is this the relationship?

virtuoso735 said:
Is this right?

I replace the F1 and F2 with T. So I get -Tcosθ - Tcosθ + F3 - mg = 0.

-2Tcosθ + F3 = mg

Then I replace the T with mg, so -2mgcosθ + F3 = mg

Is this the relationship?
No. You are looking at forces in the x direction. You had the right equation originally, but now you have added an mg term. Substitute 'T' with 'mg'.

Sorry, I'm not understanding what you mean. Which was the right equation I had originally? Should I not have added the two cosine terms together? So is -mgcosθ - mgcosθ + F3 - mg = 0 any good?

Your original equation for the horizontal force components was correct. "-F1cosθ - F2cosθ + F3 = 0"

You know that F1=F2=T and T=mg. And you need F3 in terms of mg and theta.

ehild

Does that work out to F3 = 2mgcosθ ?

Here is another similar problem, which I used the same process on:

[PLAIN]http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5553/pulley2q.jpg

There are horizontal and vertical components to this problem as well.

For the horizontal component I get: -F1cosθ + F2 = 0.
For the vertical component I get: F1sinθ = 0 [Is this right? This component is positive since it is going up, right? Should it be equal to 0]

Summing them up gives: -F1cosθ + F2 + F1sinθ = 0.
Simplify to: -mgcosθ + F2 + mgsinθ = 0
mg(sinθ - cosθ) = F2

Does this make sense?

Also, how would the mass of the pulley affect the angle?

virtuoso735 said:
Does that work out to F3 = 2mgcosθ ?
Yes!
Here is another similar problem, which I used the same process on:

[PLAIN]http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5553/pulley2q.jpg

There are horizontal and vertical components to this problem as well.
You have given us the sketch, but not the question.
For the horizontal component I get: -F1cosθ + F2 = 0.
That should be sin, not cos, otherwise this is correct.
For the vertical component I get: F1sinθ = 0 [Is this right? This component is positive since it is going up, right? Should it be equal to 0]
It should not be equal to 0, and it's cos, not sin. You have F1 cos theta acting up, but what force acts down? Their sum is equal to 0.
Summing them up gives: -F1cosθ + F2 + F1sinθ = 0.
Simplify to: -mgcosθ + F2 + mgsinθ = 0
mg(sinθ - cosθ) = F2

Does this make sense?
No.
Also, how would the mass of the pulley affect the angle?
It would be less.

Sorry, the question is: relate the traction force F2 to the weight mg and the angle theta.

I tried it again, hopefully this is closer.

Horizontal component: -F1sinθ + F2 = 0
Vertical component: F1cosθ - mg = 0

Substitute F1 and F2 with mg and sum them, which leaves:
-mgsinθ + F2 + mgcosθ - mg = 0

Solving for F2:
F2 = mg(sinθ - cosθ + 1)

Is this right?

Sorry, the question is: relate the traction force F2 to the weight mg and the angle theta.

Solving for F2:
F2 = mg(sinθ - cosθ + 1)

Is this right?

Sorry, the question is: relate the traction force F2 to the weight mg and the angle theta

Solving for F2:
F2 = mg(sinθ - cosθ + 1)

Is this right?
No.
If the pulley is frictionless, the tension in the string wrapped around it will be equal...this should have been stated in the problem. So F2 is equal to mg, but F1 is not (it's a different string). You should start to get used to drawing free body diagrams.

the question is: relate the traction force F2 to the weight mg and the angle theta.
And the answer is...?

What is a static equilibrium pulley problem?

A static equilibrium pulley problem is a physics problem that involves finding the tension and acceleration of masses connected by a pulley system that is not moving. This problem is commonly used to demonstrate principles of static equilibrium and Newton's laws of motion.

What are the key components of a static equilibrium pulley problem?

A static equilibrium pulley problem typically involves two masses connected by a rope or string that is draped over a pulley. The system is assumed to be at rest, so there is no acceleration or movement. The key components are the masses, the pulley, and the rope.

How do you solve a static equilibrium pulley problem?

To solve a static equilibrium pulley problem, you can use Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of the forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). You can also use the principle of static equilibrium, which states that the net force and net torque acting on an object must be zero for it to be at rest.

What are the common mistakes made when solving a static equilibrium pulley problem?

Some common mistakes made when solving a static equilibrium pulley problem include forgetting to consider the weight of the pulley, not properly setting up the free body diagrams for each mass, and failing to account for the direction of the tension forces. It is important to carefully consider all forces acting on the system and to use the correct equations to solve for unknown variables.

How is a static equilibrium pulley problem related to real-world applications?

Static equilibrium pulley problems have real-world applications in engineering, construction, and other fields where pulley systems are used. These problems help us understand the forces and tensions involved in a system and how they affect motion. They also demonstrate the importance of balance and stability in structures and designs.