Statically indeterminant torsion question

• Thread starter xJJx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torsion
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about torque and stepped shafts. The main confusion is about whether or not the torque is constant along the whole shaft or if it varies in different sections due to the differences in length and cross sectional area. The conversation also touches on the difference between forces and torques and how they relate to stresses and deformations. The conversation concludes with an explanation of how the problem is statically indeterminate and involves considering twist deformation angles at different sections of the shaft.
xJJx
Hi, I'm struggling with this question on an exam pastpaper. I have attached the question and worked solutions below and i am stuck on Q10 c). I'm not sure how they knew that the torque is constant along the whole shaft. I thought a stepped shaft has different torques for its different sections since the length & cross sectional area of the sections are different. Can someone please explain this to me, thank you

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 438
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 482
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 500
Physics news on Phys.org
xJJx said:
I'm not sure how they knew that the torque is constant along the whole shaft. I thought a stepped shaft has different torques for its different sections since . Can someone please explain this to me, thank you
For the first case when the shaft is loaded in tension, do you expect different tension forces in different sections since the cross sectional area of the sections are different? Don't confuse forces or torques with stresses or deformations.

Likes xJJx
PhanthomJay said:
For the first case when the shaft is loaded in tension, do you expect different tension forces in different sections since the cross sectional area of the sections are different? Don't confuse forces or torques with stresses or deformations.
Thank you for taking the time to help. One of the assumptions for applying the torsion equation to a section is that the cross-sectional area must be uniform throughout that section, but it's not uniform in a stepped shaft. Are the torques carried by each section of the shaft different to each other ONLY when the torque is applied at an intermediate position on the shaft (i.e not at one of the ends)?

If you do a moment balance on a portion of the shaft that encompasses the change from one cross section to the other, what do you get?

Likes scottdave and xJJx
Chestermiller said:
If you do a moment balance on a portion of the shaft that encompasses the change from one cross section to the other, what do you get?
T1=T2 in order for the shaft to be in eqm right?

Chestermiller said:
I'm also confused at how this shaft can be in eqm if the torques are both rotating clockwise; sorry haha, torsion is my Achilles heel

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    14.8 KB · Views: 424
xJJx said:
T1=T2 in order for the shaft to be in eqm right?
Correct.

xJJx said:
I'm also confused at how this shaft can be in eqm if the torques are both rotating clockwise; sorry haha, torsion is my Achilles heel
It's not drawn very clearly. The one on the left is supposed to indicate counter clockwise.

Likes xJJx
I see, that makes more sense now! But when teaching us statical indeterminancy, my professor said when there's an applied torque at the change of section (image uploaded), one of the shaft sections twists one way and the other section twists the other way by the same amount, however looking at the direction of the arrows and eqm equation, this doesn't look like it is the case as they look like they are going in the same direction. Do you know why he did this?

Attachments

• torsion.PNG
    torsion.PNG
    34.7 KB · Views: 455
xJJx said:
I see, that makes more sense now! But when teaching us statical indeterminancy, my professor said when there's an applied torque at the change of section (image uploaded), one of the shaft sections twists one way and the other section twists the other way by the same amount, however looking at the direction of the arrows and eqm equation, this doesn't look like it is the case as they look like they are going in the same direction. Do you know why he did this?
oh now I think I know why you titled this as a statically indeterminate problem. Your first example appears to be a statically determinate shaft fixed at one end and free at the other end with a Torque applied at the free end. For a statically determinate problem, the variation in cross sections doesn't matter when computing torques at various sections of the shaft. You just use the equilibrium equations and free body diagrams to solve for the twisting moments at any section. If for this statically determinate shaft you were to apply a clockwise torque T at some point between the ends of the shaft, then the torques left of that point at any section toward the fixed end would be T counterclockwise , and there would be no torques in the shaft right of that point toward the free end . This is strictly from equilibrium considerations using sum of torques = 0.

Now in your last example with the shaft fixed at both ends, you have a statically INdeterminate problem, which is whole new ballgame, because internal and end reaction torques are very much dependent on the various section parameters (J, G, and L). So in general T1 and T2 are not equal, and you need to look at twist deformation angles to solve the problem. Here both end reaction moments have the same direction as you note, and the angle of twist at the change in section shapes is the same on each section at that point, one considered positive and the other negative, by convention.

PhanthomJay said:
oh now I think I know why you titled this as a statically indeterminate problem. Your first example appears to be a statically determinate shaft fixed at one end and free at the other end with a Torque applied at the free end. For a statically determinate problem, the variation in cross sections doesn't matter when computing torques at various sections of the shaft. You just use the equilibrium equations and free body diagrams to solve for the twisting moments at any section. If for this statically determinate shaft you were to apply a clockwise torque T at some point between the ends of the shaft, then the torques left of that point at any section toward the fixed end would be T counterclockwise , and there would be no torques in the shaft right of that point toward the free end . This is strictly from equilibrium considerations using sum of torques = 0.

Now in your last example with the shaft fixed at both ends, you have a statically INdeterminate problem, which is whole new ballgame, because internal and end reaction torques are very much dependent on the various section parameters (J, G, and L). So in general T1 and T2 are not equal, and you need to look at twist deformation angles to solve the problem. Here both end reaction moments have the same direction as you note, and the angle of twist at the change in section shapes is the same on each section at that point, one considered positive and the other negative, by convention.
Thank you so much for replying! Your description really helped clear things up for me; initially I was confused because I thought all stepped shafts can't have uniform torque but I understand this isn't the case now. From what you're saying, if a clockwise torque is applied at an INTERMEDIATE position (i.e NOT at the ends) of a shaft fixed at one end and free at the other, the torque which gets transferred along the shaft to the fixed end would be = applied torque (but in opposite direction) and there would be no torque towards the free end? sorry I don't mean to repeat what you're saying, I just want to clarify that you can only really have a statically indeterminant shaft if the shaft doesn't have any free ends right?

Correct on all counts.

Likes xJJx
PhanthomJay said:
Correct on all counts.
Again, can't thank you enough! I understand torsion much more now. Also, these scenarios are the same for a hollow shaft too right? I can't find anywhere online that explicitly states that but it seems to be the case. The only thing that would be different is J (polar second moment of area) for a hollow shaft, from what I've seen so far.

xJJx said:
Again, can't thank you enough! I understand torsion much more now. Also, these scenarios are the same for a hollow shaft too right? I can't find anywhere online that explicitly states that but it seems to be the case. The only thing that would be different is J (polar second moment of area) for a hollow shaft, from what I've seen so far.
You are correct again. Keep on plugging!

Likes xJJx
PhanthomJay said:
You are correct again. Keep on plugging!
Yayy, okay last thing I'm going to bother you with promise! haha (sorry): I've attached a question I'm stuck on, it's part (c) of the attachment. I've attached both my solutions (blue writing) and my professor's (black writing); instead of substituting P/w into T like how he did, I kept T as it is and used it to calculate the power at the end but my answer is wrong and I don't understand why

Attachments

• torsion 1.PNG
    torsion 1.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 409
  • torsion 2.PNG
    torsion 2.PNG
    17 KB · Views: 432
  • torsion 3.PNG
    torsion 3.PNG
    37.3 KB · Views: 408
  • torsion 4.PNG
    torsion 4.PNG
    32.8 KB · Views: 398
  • torsion.PNG
    torsion.PNG
    34.7 KB · Views: 454
  • t.jpg
    t.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 341
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 392
I didn't check the math, but it doesn't make a difference where you make the substitution for P = Tw. Probably a math error by someone.

1. What is meant by "statically indeterminant"?

In structural engineering, a system is considered to be statically indeterminant if the number of unknown reactions or internal forces exceeds the number of available equations of equilibrium. This means that the system cannot be solved using only equations of equilibrium, and additional information is needed to determine the unknown values.

2. How does torsion affect a statically indeterminant system?

Torsion refers to the twisting force on a structural element. In a statically indeterminant system, torsion can cause additional unknown reactions or internal forces, making the system even more complex to solve. It is important to consider torsion in the analysis of a statically indeterminant system to ensure its stability and safety.

3. What are the methods used to solve statically indeterminant torsion problems?

There are several methods that can be used to solve statically indeterminant torsion problems, including the Force Method, the Displacement Method, and the Slope-Deflection Method. These methods involve solving a system of equations using known values and additional information about the structure's behavior.

4. What are the applications of statically indeterminant torsion problems?

Statically indeterminant torsion problems arise in various engineering applications, such as designing bridges, buildings, and other structures. They are also important in understanding the behavior of materials under torsional loads, which is crucial in the design process.

5. How can one determine if a system is statically indeterminant or not?

To determine if a system is statically indeterminant, one must count the number of unknown reactions or internal forces and compare it to the number of available equations of equilibrium. If the number of unknowns is greater than the number of equations, the system is statically indeterminant. Additional information, such as material properties and boundary conditions, is needed to solve the system.