Statics Problem istributed Loads

• Thread starter Chandasouk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, the six locations for the resultant force on the beam in this statics problem are Xa, Xb, Xc, Xd, Xe, and Xf. Using the assumption that the length of the beam is 1, the rankings from smallest to largest are Xc, Xe, Xa, Xb (equivalent), Xf, and Xd. The method for finding the centroid of a triangle and a trapezoid is used to determine the rankings.
Chandasouk
Statics Problem:Distributed Loads

http://imageshack.us/a/img845/5825/112639502.jpg

When measuring from the left side of the beam Xa,Xb ,Xc ,Xd ,Xe ,and Xf are the locations where the resultant force is applied in each of the six cases. Rank these six locations.

Rank the items from smallest to largest. To rank items as equivalent, overlap them.

For this problem, I just made the assumption the L was equal to 1 so I could work with real numbers.

Xa and Xb I found to be the same locations as in 1/2 because they are rectangles.

The centroid of a triangle is 1/3L from its peak, so Xc I said it was 1/3.

Xd = 2/3 since the peak is on the right hand side this time.

I don't know how to find the centroid of the last trapezoids. I just know that Xf > Xe and that they are somewhere in between L/3 and L/2 from a hint in my HW.

The current ranking I have from SMALLEST to LARGEST is

Xc, Xe, Xf, Xa, Xb (they are equal), and Xd but that is wrong. How do I solve this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the problem statement said rank the locations of the resultant, it appears it did not specify if they should be ranked from smallest to largest or vice versa.

Sorry about that

Rank the items from smallest to largest. To rank items as equivalent, overlap them.

I shall also edit my post

This probably doesn't help the person who originally answered the question but the answer is Xc, Xe, Xa, Xb (they are equal), Xf, and then Xd.

1. What is a distributed load in statics?

A distributed load in statics is a force that is spread out over a certain area or length. It is typically represented by a continuous line or curve, and its magnitude can vary at different points along the line or curve.

2. How do you calculate the total force of a distributed load?

To calculate the total force of a distributed load, you must integrate the force function over the given area or length. This will give you the total force exerted by the load.

3. What is the difference between a uniformly distributed load and a non-uniformly distributed load?

A uniformly distributed load is one where the force per unit length or area is constant, while a non-uniformly distributed load has varying force per unit length or area. This means that the magnitude of the force changes at different points along the line or curve for a non-uniformly distributed load.

4. How do you represent a distributed load in a free body diagram?

In a free body diagram, a distributed load is represented by an arrow or line that is labeled with the magnitude of the force per unit length or area. The direction of the arrow or line should correspond to the direction of the force at that point.

5. What are some common real-world examples of distributed loads?

Some common examples of distributed loads include the weight of a bridge or building evenly distributed along its supports, the weight of a person or object distributed along a surface, or the wind force acting on a sail or wing.