Statistics- z-scores,mean,standard deviation

In summary, with the given information of two measurements and their corresponding z-scores, it is possible to determine the population's mean and standard deviation. Using the equations z = (x-μ)/σ and the given z-scores, we can set up a system of linear equations to solve for the mean and standard deviation. The solution shows that the mean is 60 and the standard deviation is 10.
n77ler

Homework Statement

Suppose that 40 and 90 are two measurements of a population data set and that their z-scores are -2 and 3, respectively. Using only this information, is it possible to determine the population's mean and standard deviation? If so, find them. If not, explain why it's not possible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well 40 and 90 are two data numbers that we are given. Z-scores are deviations from the median of the data set. So the 90 in the population is 3 deviations to the right of the median. 40 is 2 deviations to the left of the median. So if 40 makes the z-score -2 and 90 makes it 3 can I relate them to come up with the median? I've been juggling the numbers but nothing I do seems to come up with a logical answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
One "relevant equation" would be
[tex]z= \frac{x-\mu}{\sigma}[/itex]

Now stop "juggling numbers" and write down equations!
As you say "90 is 3 deviations right of the mean"(NOT median!): [itex]90= \mu+ 3\sigma[/itex]
"40 is 2 deviations to the left of the mean": [itex]40= \mu- 2\sigma[/itex]

Now that looks to me like two linear equations to solve for [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\sigma[/itex].

Actually after I posted I realized I messed up that terminology but had to go pick up family so I didn't have time to edit lol.

OK so, 90=x+3y
x=-3y+90

40=x-2y
40= (-3y+90)-2y
40=-5y+90
y=10

x=-3(10)+90
x=60

So mean= 60 and deviation = 10

Related to Statistics- z-scores,mean,standard deviation

1. What is a z-score and how is it calculated?

A z-score is a statistical measure that represents the number of standard deviations a data point is from the mean. It is calculated by subtracting the mean from the data point and then dividing by the standard deviation.

2. What is the difference between mean and standard deviation?

The mean, also known as the average, is the sum of all data points divided by the total number of data points. It is a measure of central tendency. The standard deviation, on the other hand, is a measure of the spread or variability of the data points from the mean. It is calculated by taking the square root of the average squared distance of each data point from the mean.

3. How are z-scores used in statistics?

Z-scores are used to standardize data and make comparisons between different sets of data. They allow us to determine how far a data point is from the mean in relation to the spread of the data. Z-scores are also used in hypothesis testing and to identify outliers in a data set.

4. What is a normal distribution and how is it related to z-scores?

A normal distribution is a bell-shaped curve that represents the spread of a data set. In a normal distribution, the mean, median, and mode are all equal. The majority of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, with the rest spread out evenly on either side. Z-scores are used to determine the probability of a data point falling within a certain range on a normal distribution curve.

5. Can z-scores be negative?

Yes, z-scores can be negative if the data point is below the mean. A negative z-score indicates that the data point is below average and farther away from the mean in the negative direction. A positive z-score indicates that the data point is above average and farther away from the mean in the positive direction.