Steel ball oscillating in a glass tube

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the frequency of vibration under adiabatic conditions for a column of gas confined to a cylindrical tube with a piston. The equations used are \omega = \left( \frac{\gamma p A}{m l} \right) ^{1/2} for part a and T = 2*pi \left( \frac{m l}{A \gamma p} \right) ^{1/2} for part b. There is also a discussion about the geometry of a flask and a tube and how it affects the calculations. After correcting a mistake in the calculation of the mass and area of the ball, it is determined that the period of oscillation should be about 1 second.
mbigras

Homework Statement

a) Find the frequency of vibration under adiabatic conditions of a column of gas confined to a cylindrical tube, closed at one end, with a well-fitting but freely moving piston of mass m.

b) A steel ball of diameter 2 cm oscillates vertically in a precision-bore glass tube mounted on a 12-liter flask containing air at atomospheric pressure. Verify that the period of oscillation should be about 1 sec. (Assume adiabatic pressure change with [itex]\gamma[/itex] = 1.4, Density of steel = 7600 [itex]\frac{kg}{m^{3}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

from part a, we get:
[tex]\omega = \left( \frac{\gamma p A}{m l} \right) ^{1/2}[/tex]
where [itex]p[/itex] is the pressure, [itex]A[/itex] is the area of the tube, [itex]l[/itex] is the length from the bottom of the tube to an undisplaced piston.

for part b, I thought it would be realistic to state the period as:
[tex]T = 2*pi \left( \frac{m l}{A \gamma p} \right) ^{1/2}[/tex]
before going on I suspect this may be where I'm getting hung up. I'm assuming the 12 L flask to be equivalent to a tube that is the area of the steel ball and then a given length so both volumes match. Also I'm assuming the steel ball to be about the same as a piston, only really taking into account its sphericalness when calculating the mass from the density of steel and the volume of a sphere.
[tex]l = \frac{V}{A}[/tex]
Are these two assumptions realistic?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to know if the geometry of the ball, since it is different from the piston, has a noticable effect on the outcome?
I don't see how to work that out without crunching the numbers.
I'd proceed, off the context, by taking the result from (a) as useful in (b) without being modified, and see what happens.

Thats what I'm trying to do with [itex]T = \frac{2 \pi}{\omega}[/itex]. But I'm not sure what to use for [itex]l[/itex], because its a flask and not a tube.

What is the difference between the flask and the tube?

It seems like the geometry of a flask and a tube are different. A tube has a uniform area all the way up and down its length. While a flask the area changes as you go up or down the length.

Well then you need to know how the geometry changes ... does it matter if the change in volume during the oscillations is small? It's the way the volume changes that's important right? So pick l to keep the same volume.

[tex]T = 2 \pi \left( \frac{m l}{A \gamma p} \right) ^{1/2}[/tex]
[tex]m = 3.18*10^{-5} \ kg[/tex]
[tex]l = \frac{V}{A} = \frac{0.012 \ m^{3}}{ 3.14*10^{-6} \ m^{2}} = 3820 \ m[/tex]
[tex]A = 3.14*10^{-6} \ m^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\gamma = 1.4[/tex]
[tex]p = 101325 \ \frac{N}{m^{2}}[/tex]
http://wolfr.am/16OKjiZ

Another thing is that the ball actually needs to sink a little bit before it reaches equilibrium because it is vertical, but adding these adjustments doesn't seem to significantly change the answer.

It should be about 1 sec. I'm not sure what part of this calculation isn't realistic but I suspect it has to do with what I'm using for my [itex]l[/itex] or what I'm using for my [itex]p[/itex].

mbigras said:
[tex]m = 3.18*10^{-5} \ kg[/tex]
[tex]A = 3.14*10^{-6} \ m^{2}[/tex]

Check the calculation of the mass of the ball and the area ##A##. I think you have the wrong power of 10.

Likes 1 person
thank you for spotting that. I had 1 cm = .001m instead of .01. With that adjustment I get the required 1 sec.
http://wolfr.am/1cBL6ZJ

1. What is the purpose of a steel ball oscillating in a glass tube experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the principles of oscillation, specifically the relationship between mass, force, and displacement. It is also used to study the effects of different factors, such as tube length and ball size, on the oscillation of the ball.

2. How does the steel ball oscillate in the glass tube?

The steel ball oscillates in the glass tube due to the force of gravity acting on it. When the ball is displaced from its equilibrium position, gravity pulls it towards the center of the Earth. As it moves downwards, it gains kinetic energy, which then allows it to move upwards and oscillate back and forth.

3. What factors affect the oscillation of the steel ball in the glass tube?

Several factors can affect the oscillation of the steel ball in the glass tube. These include the length of the tube, the mass and size of the ball, and the presence of any external forces, such as air resistance or friction. The elasticity of the tube also plays a role in the oscillation.

4. How does the oscillation of the steel ball change with different tube lengths?

The oscillation of the steel ball changes with different tube lengths because the length of the tube affects the period of oscillation. A longer tube will have a longer period of oscillation, meaning it will take the ball longer to complete one full oscillation. This is due to the increased distance the ball has to travel, resulting in a slower oscillation.

5. What are the real-world applications of the steel ball oscillating in a glass tube experiment?

This experiment has several real-world applications, including studying the principles of pendulums and their use in timekeeping devices, analyzing the movement of particles in a fluid, and understanding the behavior of vibrating systems such as musical instruments. It can also be used to demonstrate the concept of energy conservation and the relationship between potential and kinetic energy.