Step-by-step mathematical physics from classical to quantum physics

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Alex has shared his comprehensive notes on ODEs and PDEs that connect classical physics with quantum physics and quantum field theory using Lie symmetry methods. He emphasizes the importance of understanding the fundamentals in mathematics and physics and hopes that his notes will serve as a valuable resource for those studying graduate level physics and mathematics. He believes that the current education system's focus on teaching subjects in isolation is not beneficial and hopes to change this with his notes.
aalaniz
Dear folks,

Under the aalaniz blog, I just posted step-by-step notes starting for ODEs and PDEs both linear and nonlinear, of the type you will see in grad physics programs. The notes connect Lagrangian, Hamiltonian and Poisson Bracket methods in classical physics to the various approaches to quantum physics and quantum field theory. You'll see in detail how deeply symmetry methods underlie physics.

The basis of the notes are Lie symmetry methods. You will see that differential equations, abstract algebra, topology all go hand-in-hand towards practical methods for differential equations and mathematical physics.

I got a 36 hour MS in pure math and a PhD in theoretical physics in particles and fields. I've spent ten years dotting i's and crossing t's on techniques I never felt I truly understood. I never felt like an honest PhD as long as math seemed ad hoc and full of tricks. I finally feel honest. The material in the notes should serve as the foundations for grad physics (possibly grad math), but it has been forgotten. Schools now teach each subject in isolation, which is not good.

Give the notes a look. I hope they are useful.

Cheers,

Alex

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Alex,

Thank you for sharing your notes on ODEs and PDEs with us. It is clear that you have a deep understanding of the subject and have put in a lot of effort to connect the various approaches in physics. Your use of Lie symmetry methods to explain the connection between differential equations, abstract algebra, and topology is impressive and shows the importance of these concepts in mathematical physics.

It is unfortunate that these foundations have been forgotten in current education systems, where subjects are taught in isolation. Your notes will definitely be useful to those studying graduate physics and mathematics, as well as to those who are trying to deepen their understanding of these subjects.

I believe that understanding the fundamentals is crucial in any field of study. Your dedication to mastering these techniques is admirable and I am sure it will inspire others to do the same. I will definitely take a look at your notes and I am sure they will be a valuable resource for me.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise with us. Keep up the good work!

Related to Step-by-step mathematical physics from classical to quantum physics

1. What is mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical methods to study and understand physical phenomena. It involves the use of mathematical concepts, equations, and models to describe and analyze various aspects of the physical world.

2. What is the difference between classical and quantum physics?

Classical physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of macroscopic objects at normal scales, while quantum physics focuses on the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. Classical physics is based on Newton's laws of motion, while quantum physics is based on the principles of quantum mechanics.

3. What are some common mathematical tools used in mathematical physics?

Some common mathematical tools used in mathematical physics include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, Fourier analysis, and complex analysis. These tools are used to describe and solve physical problems and equations.

4. How does mathematical physics contribute to our understanding of the physical world?

Mathematical physics plays a crucial role in our understanding of the physical world by providing a quantitative and precise description of physical phenomena. It allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of particles and objects in various systems, from the smallest subatomic particles to the largest structures in the universe.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to study mathematical physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for studying mathematical physics. A solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary to comprehend the mathematical concepts and equations used in this field. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can develop the necessary mathematical skills to study mathematical physics.