Still stuck on two blocks and pulleys

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the vertical acceleration of mass 1 in terms of mass 1, gravity, and tension. Several equations are presented, including a_1= ((m_1*g)-2T)/2m_1, a_1= (4/5)*(m_1*g)/(m_1+m_2), and a_1= 4*(m_1*g)/(4*m_1+m_2). The last equation is derived through the constant length of the string and the use of derivatives. The correctness of the equation is discussed, and the conversation concludes with a suggestion to solve for T and a_1.
tigerseye
Now I am supposed to find the magnitude of the vertical acceleration of mass 1, in terms of mass 1, gravity and the tension.
I found that a_1= ((m_1*g)-2T)/2m_1 but that isn't right. Any help would be great

Attachments

• b and p.jpg
    b and p.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
a_1= ((m_1*g)-T)/m_1

a_1= (4/5)*(m_1*g)/(m_1+m_2)

Is it correct?

Sorry. I'd like to say:
a_1= 4*(m_1*g)/(4*m_1+m_2)

If it is correct, i'll try to explain

Last edited:
Can you explain how you got that? :smile:

there is important, that a_2=(a_1)/2 (look carefull at string).
On first mass acts 2 forse: gravity and tension. So:
m_1*a_1= (m_1*g)-T
But on the 2nd mass acts F=2*T
m_2*a_2=2*T
m_2*(a_1)/2=2*T
We have a system:
m_2*(a_1)/2=2*T
m_1*a_1= (m_1*g)-T
We don't know a_1 and T.
If we solve:
T=m_2*(a_1)/4
And a_1= 4*(m_1*g)/(4*m_1+m_2)
Am I right?

I didn't check your algebra on your last step but it looks right.

to derive your accelearation relation, you don't have to "look at the strings" and think it through. in these more difficult problems you should derive a constant from the problem. In this case, the length of the string is constant. If I call the length from the wall to the stationary pully L1 the length from the stationary pully to the moving pully x and the length from the stationary pully to m2 y then I can derive the formula:

L1+x+x+y=LT

Where LT is the total length of the string. Takeing time derivatives of both sides twice:

[tex]2\ddot{x}+\ddot{y}=0[/tex]

then negnative sign you get should be argued away. So then you get the relations for acceleration that you derived.

Related to Still stuck on two blocks and pulleys

What is the concept of "Still stuck on two blocks and pulleys"?

The concept of "Still stuck on two blocks and pulleys" refers to a common physics problem involving two blocks connected by a rope that is strung over a pulley. This problem is often used to demonstrate principles of mechanical advantage and tension.

What are the key equations used in "Still stuck on two blocks and pulleys"?

The key equations used in "Still stuck on two blocks and pulleys" are the equations for mechanical advantage, tension, and Newton's second law of motion. These equations are used to calculate the forces and accelerations of the blocks and the tension in the rope.

How do I solve "Still stuck on two blocks and pulleys"?

To solve "Still stuck on two blocks and pulleys", you will need to first draw a free-body diagram for each block, identifying all the forces acting on each block. Then, use the equations for mechanical advantage, tension, and Newton's second law to create a system of equations and solve for the unknown variables.

What are some real-world applications of "Still stuck on two blocks and pulleys"?

The principles demonstrated in "Still stuck on two blocks and pulleys" have real-world applications in many fields, including engineering, construction, and even sports. For example, pulley systems are often used in elevators and cranes to lift heavy objects with less effort.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Still stuck on two blocks and pulleys"?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Still stuck on two blocks and pulleys" include not properly identifying all the forces acting on each block, not setting up the equations correctly, and not using the correct units for the given values. It is also important to check your final answer for reasonableness and accuracy.