Storage vessel stress analysis using ansys

In summary, Ansys is a computer-aided engineering software used for simulation and analysis of various mechanical, structural, and fluid systems. It is used for storage vessel stress analysis to model and analyze structural integrity and performance. Ansys can analyze various types of stress in storage vessels, including structural, thermal, and pressure-induced stress. It also has the capability to handle nonlinearities and predict vessel failure under extreme conditions. The accuracy of results obtained from Ansys for storage vessel stress analysis depends on various factors, but with proper calibration and verification, it can provide reliable and accurate results.
billy_boy
I have to model a storage vessel in ansys and perform stress analysis for it. I have no idea about which element types I will need for the analysis. I have calculated the design dimensions for the vessel. I am a beginner at ansys and know only how to deal with simple structural and thermal problems.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this a continuation of your recent thread about pressure vessel ?

Pleases post a drawing of what you have done so far .

Read the ANSYS element guide. They explain all the element types and when to use them

1. What is Ansys and how is it used in storage vessel stress analysis?

Ansys is a computer-aided engineering software used for simulation and analysis of various mechanical, structural, and fluid systems. In the context of storage vessel stress analysis, Ansys is used to model and analyze the structural integrity and performance of storage vessels under different operating conditions.

2. What types of stress can be analyzed using Ansys for storage vessels?

Ansys can analyze various types of stress in storage vessels, including but not limited to structural stress, thermal stress, and pressure-induced stress. It can also consider the effects of different materials, geometries, and loading conditions on the stress distribution in the vessel.

3. How does Ansys handle nonlinearities in storage vessel stress analysis?

Ansys has the capability to handle nonlinearities in storage vessel stress analysis, such as material nonlinearity, geometric nonlinearity, and contact nonlinearity. It uses advanced numerical methods to accurately capture the behavior of the vessel under different loading conditions.

4. Can Ansys predict the failure of a storage vessel under extreme conditions?

Yes, Ansys can predict the failure of a storage vessel under extreme conditions by considering the material properties, geometry, and loading conditions in the analysis. It can also provide insights into the failure mechanism and suggest design modifications to improve the vessel's structural integrity.

5. How accurate are the results obtained from Ansys for storage vessel stress analysis?

The accuracy of the results obtained from Ansys for storage vessel stress analysis depends on various factors such as the input parameters, modeling assumptions, and the complexity of the vessel. However, Ansys is a widely used and validated software, and with proper calibration and verification, it can provide reliable and accurate results for storage vessel stress analysis.