Streamlines - Continuum mechanics

In summary, The equation of streamlines for a small-amplitude standing surface wave on water of depth h is given by solving for F(x,y) such that its gradient is orthogonal to the velocity in the x and y directions, v_x and v_y respectively. This results in the equations \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} = v_y and \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} = -v_x.
Matt atkinson

Homework Statement

In Cartesian coordinates ##x##, ##y##, where ##x## is the horizontal and ##y## the vertical coordinate,
the velocity in a small-amplitude standing surface wave on water of depth ##h## is given
by;
$$v_x = v_0 sin(\omega t) cos(kx) cosh[k(y + h)]$$
$$v_y = v_0 sin(\omega t) sin(kx) sinh[k(y + h)]$$
where ##v_0##, ##\omega## and ##k## are constants. Find the equation of streamlines written in the
form ##F(x, y) = const##.

Homework Equations

$$\frac{dx_i}{d\lambda}=v_i (\lambda,t)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Look being honest I have no idea what to do, I noticed that;
$$\frac{dx}{d\lambda}=v_0 sin(\omega t) cos(kx) cosh[k(y + h)]$$
$$\frac{dy}{d\lambda}=v_0 sin(\omega t) sin(kx) sinh[k(y + h)]$$
I tried doing;
$$\frac{dy}{d\lambda} \frac{d\lambda}{dx}=\frac{1}{tan(kx)tanh[k(y+h)]}$$
I don't believe that is the correct way to do it, I think I am supposed to try and write them as parametric equations but I am not sure how.

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]F[/itex] is to be constant on streamlines, then its gradient must be orthogonal to [itex]v[/itex]. Thus you need to solve [tex]
\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} = v_y, \\
\frac{\partial F}{\partial y} = -v_x.[/tex]

Oh thankyou! it appears i wasnt thinking about streamlines at all, not sure what i was trying to do

What is meant by streamlines in continuum mechanics?

Streamlines in continuum mechanics refer to the imaginary lines that represent the direction of fluid flow at any given point in a fluid flow field. They are used to visualize the flow of a fluid and are always tangent to the velocity vector at a specific point.

How are streamlines useful in continuum mechanics?

Streamlines are useful in continuum mechanics because they provide a visual representation of the flow field, allowing for a better understanding of the behavior and characteristics of the fluid. They also help in predicting the path of the fluid particles and can aid in the design of efficient systems.

What factors affect the shape of streamlines?

The shape of streamlines is affected by several factors, including the velocity and direction of the fluid flow, the viscosity of the fluid, and any external forces acting on the fluid. Changes in these factors can alter the shape and pattern of streamlines in a flow field.

Can streamlines intersect?

No, streamlines cannot intersect. This is because each streamline represents the direction of fluid flow at a specific point, and at any given point, the fluid can only have one direction of flow. If streamlines were to intersect, it would mean that a fluid particle is flowing in two different directions at the same time, which is not physically possible.

How are streamlines different from pathlines and streaklines?

Streamlines, pathlines, and streaklines are all used to visualize fluid flow, but they represent different aspects of the flow. Streamlines represent the direction of flow at a specific point, pathlines show the actual path a fluid particle takes over time, and streaklines show the path of particles that have passed through a specific point in the flow field.