"Strength" of the mean of the distribution curve

In summary, the mean value of a population of things can become a fact with a high confidence interval if many measurements are taken.
icakeov
My understanding of the distribution curves is very basic but I do have a couple of somewhat generic questions. I looked up a number of definitions but have had a hard time finding these specific answers:

- Is there an agreed on minimum number of samples that one needs to take to deem a result to be viable? Or does the result more depend on the data we get?

- Additionally, is there a certain "percentile" value of how far the standard deviation is from the mean (i.e. how "far" it is from it, or how low its value is), that would conclude that the mean value is "very likely" to happen?

What I am really aiming for with these questions is:

- If in science we are to declare something a "fact", how "precise" does the distribution curve have to be in order for us to declare it a fact? Does it have to occur 100% times? Or is there some "window" of probability that we take into account and what is that?

Apologies if the questions is sloppy or if it makes no sense.
Thanks for any feedback!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to decide how accurate you want your estimate of the mean to be and what probability you want that the true mean is within that range. Typically, you use the data to find a "confidence interval" where you can say that the mean is 95%, 97.5% or 99% like to be within that interval. The probabilities are assuming that you know the general form of the distribution of the thing you are measuring (like normal, poisson, etc.)

Perfect! Thanks FactChecker!
I am guessing that 95% and over would be the value at which the mean value starts becoming a "fact"?
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but is this the step to conclude something is a fact? Or do facts have to have 100% confidence interval?

icakeov said:
I am guessing that 95% and over would be the value at which the mean value starts becoming a "fact"?
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but is this the step to conclude something is a fact? Or do facts have to have 100% confidence interval?
For most things, you can never get 100% confidence. 95% is probably low because that will be wrong one out of every 20 times. There is a trade-off between the size of the confidence interval (the accuracy you want from your estimated mean) and the level of confidence that the interval contains the true mean. Different applications require different standards as far as the level of confidence and accuracy. You have to use your own judgment. An extremely conservative example (although they are not talking about a mean) is the level of confidence that a new particle has been found. For high-energy physics, they like 99.7% confidence before they say they have found "evidence of a particle" and 99.99997% confidence before they say that a new particle has been discovered.

Last edited:
Likes icakeov
icakeov said:
Each individual measured value is a fact. The mean of any collection of such values is also a fact. There is no lower limit, even the smallest piece of data is a fact.

Likes icakeov
icakeov said:
What I am really aiming for with these questions is:

- If in science we are to declare something a "fact", how "precise" does the distribution curve have to be in order for us to declare it a fact? Does it have to occur 100% times?

What do you mean by "it"? In order for something to be a fact, it would at least have to be expressed as a complete sentence.

If we consider a population of things, we can can make many different statements about the population. For example:

1) All the objects in the population have weight 102.3 and measurements that show a different value than 102.3 have errors in them.

or

2) The mean value of the objects in the population is 102.3, but there are objects in the population that have a weight different than the mean value.

Likes icakeov
Thanks for all your responses, super helpful!
Yes, I was referring specifically to the mean value when talking about "it" being a fact.
I am understanding that every value on a graph can become a "fact" and have its "confidence interval" become very high with many measurements.

FactChecker said:
For high-energy physics, they like 99.7% confidence before they say they have found "evidence of a particle" and 99.99997% confidence before they say that a new particle has been discovered.

Hi again, I was wondering if there is any published document that outlines the standards above that I can reference?
Many thanks again!

I don't know how authoritative this is. The standards of 3-sigma and 5-sigma correspond to "probabilities" of 99.7% and 99.99997%. These "probabilities" are the odds that a set of results that unusual or more unusual would not occur if there was not a new particle.

This is super helpful, thank you!

The Central Limit Theorem relates what you obtain through sampling and the actual population parameters. Check out too the sampling distribution of the mean which gives you a confidence interval others mentioned here. Notice the larger the sample the narrower (i.e., "more confident") the estimate.

Likes icakeov
icakeov said:
- If in science we are to declare something a "fact", how "precise" does the distribution curve have to be in order for us to declare it a fact?

Measurements are only part of the facts of science. A paper giving a measurement should give a confidence interval for the measurement. Saying we have 95% interval doesn't tell us much until we also know the length of interval.

A paper publishing a measurement doesn't establish a scientific fact even if it announces 95% confidence. Usually, several other researchers must repeat the measurement and get consistent results before the measured value is accepted as a fact.

The famous and customary 95% confidence is a standard many journals require before they will consider publishing a result. However, the publication of a measurement in a journal does not guarantee the "scientific community" will regard the measurement as factual based on that single publication.

Likes icakeov
That is SUPER helpful Stephen & WWGD, thank you so much!

What is the "strength" of the mean of the distribution curve?

The strength of the mean of the distribution curve is a measure of how well the mean represents the central tendency of a dataset. It is often used to determine the level of confidence in the average value of the data.

How is the strength of the mean calculated?

The strength of the mean is typically calculated using a measure of dispersion, such as the standard deviation or variance, and the sample size. A larger sample size and a smaller dispersion indicate a stronger mean.

What does a strong mean indicate about the data?

A strong mean indicates that the data points are closely clustered around the average value, suggesting a high level of consistency and reliability in the dataset.

Can the strength of the mean be affected by outliers?

Yes, the strength of the mean can be affected by extreme values, also known as outliers. Outliers can skew the average and increase the dispersion, resulting in a weaker mean.

How does the strength of the mean differ from the accuracy of the mean?

The strength of the mean refers to how well the mean represents the central tendency of the data, while the accuracy of the mean refers to how close the mean is to the true population mean. A strong mean can still be inaccurate if it is biased or if the sample is not representative of the entire population.