Structural Analysis Problem- internal hinge

In summary, the conversation is discussing the static equilibrium of a structure and the correct assumptions for finding the reaction forces at points A, B, and D. The sum of moments at point D is calculated to find the reaction force at point A, and the sum of forces in the Y direction is used to find the reaction force at point D. The conversation also mentions the use of a frictionless hinge at point C and provides a hint for solving the problem.
ride5150

Homework Statement

hwquiz4.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

for part 1:

i figured that this structure is not in static equilibrium. once load "P" is applied, the roller at "D" will function as a fulcrum and ABC will lift (make an angle with the horizontal).

is that assumption correct?

based on what i assumed:

i assumed:

2 reactions at "A", -Ax and -Ay
0 reactions at B
1 reaction at "D", Dy

i summed the moments about "D"

(clockwise moment is negative)

(-PL)+(Ay4L)=0

Ay= -P/3L ========================

Sum of forces in Y direction = 0:

Ay+Dy-P= 0

Dy= P-Ay

after substituting for Ay:

Dy=(3PL+P)/(3L) =========================

i don't know how to find Ax.

is what i did so far correct?

help please

Physics news on Phys.org
ride5150: That is currently incorrect. There is one reaction force at B, which is By. A roller symbol means a structure is constrained in the direction perpendicular to the roller, regardless whether the roller is in compression or tension. Hint 1: The moment at a frictionless hinge (point C) is always zero.

1. What is a structural analysis problem with an internal hinge?

A structural analysis problem with an internal hinge is a situation where there is a hinge or pivot point within a structure, which allows for rotation or movement between two connected members. This can occur in various types of structures, such as bridges, buildings, and trusses.

2. How is an internal hinge different from an external hinge?

An internal hinge is located within the structure, while an external hinge is located at the end of a structure. Internal hinges are typically used to allow for movement and rotation within the structure, while external hinges are used to connect separate structures or components.

3. What are some common types of internal hinges used in structural analysis?

Some common types of internal hinges used in structural analysis include pinned connections, roller supports, and hinged joints. These hinges allow for rotation and movement within the structure while still providing stability and support.

4. What factors are considered when analyzing a structural problem with an internal hinge?

When analyzing a structural problem with an internal hinge, factors such as the magnitude and direction of forces acting on the structure, the type of hinge used, and the material properties of the structure must be taken into account. It is also important to consider the overall stability and balance of the structure.

5. How is a structural analysis problem with an internal hinge solved?

A structural analysis problem with an internal hinge is solved by using mathematical equations and principles of physics to determine the forces and stresses acting on the structure. Computer programs and simulations are often used to assist in the analysis and design process. Once the forces and stresses are known, appropriate structural elements and materials can be selected to ensure the stability and safety of the structure.