Structural engineering from engineering or architecture?

In summary, if you have a passion for math and physics, structural engineering is a great career option with various job opportunities available. It may involve some creativity and model building, but not as much as architecture. You can pursue it from an engineering degree or even pursue a master's degree in the field. Additionally, there are several other job options that involve math and physics that you may enjoy.
bernvall
At the moment, I am a first year at BS maths & Physics student. I chose this because i really like Maths and Physics however recently I've been thinking about where i can go with this course. There arent many job prospects, and the jobs do not rly include very high salary. So it looks like I am wasting my time doing this very demanding and quite hard course.

Architecture seems nice too, however I am not really good at drawing or building models, and i heard you do a lot of that during the course. However, recently i read something about Structural engineering, which essentially is like architecture without all the creative and art part, and just focused on maths and physics. Can any structural engineers tell me about their experience. Did you also need to build a lot of models and be creative? Can i go into structural engineering from an engineering degree instead from the architecture degree (so as to avoid all the drawing)

Also, what other jobs includes maths or physics that i might enjoy, because at the moment I am really worrying about my future :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Structural engineering is a great option for someone with a background in math and physics. It involves a lot of analysis and design of structures to ensure that they are safe and function correctly. Depending on the type of work you do, it may involve some creativity and/or model building, but it is typically much less than architecture. You can definitely pursue a career in structural engineering from a degree in engineering, or you can even pursue a master's degree in structural engineering if you have the necessary prerequisites. Other jobs that involve math or physics include software engineering, data science, aerospace engineering, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and more. It really depends on what interests you and what type of environment you want to work in.

1. What is the role of a structural engineer in the field of architecture?

A structural engineer designs and analyzes the structural elements of a building, such as walls, columns, beams, and foundations, to ensure that the building can withstand the forces and loads it will experience during its lifetime. They work closely with architects to ensure that the building's structural design meets both functional and aesthetic requirements.

2. What are the key differences between structural engineering and architecture?

Structural engineering focuses on the design and analysis of the structural elements of a building, while architecture focuses on the overall design and aesthetic of the building. Structural engineers also have a deeper understanding of construction materials, structural systems, and how buildings behave under different loads and conditions.

3. How do structural engineers ensure the safety and stability of a building?

Structural engineers use various tools and techniques, such as computer-aided design (CAD) software and mathematical calculations, to analyze and test the structural elements of a building. They also consider factors such as building codes, site conditions, and potential hazards to ensure the building is safe and stable.

4. What are some of the challenges faced by structural engineers in their work?

Structural engineers face challenges such as ensuring the structural integrity of a building while also meeting aesthetic and functional requirements, dealing with complex and constantly changing building codes and regulations, and adapting to new technologies and materials. They also have to consider various factors, such as environmental conditions and potential hazards, when designing a building.

5. How does sustainability play a role in structural engineering?

Sustainability is becoming increasingly important in the field of structural engineering. Structural engineers are responsible for designing buildings that are not only safe and functional but also environmentally friendly and energy-efficient. This can involve using sustainable materials, incorporating renewable energy systems, and designing for long-term durability and resilience.