Structural mechanics: Distributed forces on a structure

In summary, the problem statement is asking for the result of ##X_A## and the relevant equation provided is the sum of moments at point C being equal to 0. The individual's answer for ##X_A## is 5 kN, but it differs from the standard answer. The task is then to plot the bending moment, shear force, and axial force for a triple hinge and show the steps taken to do so.
Kile
Homework Statement
What's your result of ##X_A##? I find mine is different from the standard answer.
Relevant Equations
My answer for $$X_A =5 kN$$
Problem Statement: What's your result of ##X_A##? I find mine is different from the standard answer.
Relevant Equations: My answer for $$X_A =5 kN$$

Problem Statement: What's your result of ##X_A##? I find mine is different from the standard answer.
$$\sum m_C=0$$

Here is a triple hinge, try to plot its M, W, N.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kile said:

Here is a triple hinge, try to plot its M, W, N. View attachment 243011
Show us the details of what you did.

1. What is structural mechanics?

Structural mechanics is a branch of engineering that deals with the behavior and analysis of structures under different types of forces, such as distributed forces, concentrated forces, and thermal loads.

2. What are distributed forces on a structure?

Distributed forces are forces that act over a certain area or length of a structure, rather than at a single point. Examples of distributed forces include wind loads, snow loads, and seismic loads.

3. How do distributed forces affect a structure?

Distributed forces can cause stresses and deformations in a structure, which can potentially lead to failure if not properly accounted for in the design and analysis process.

4. How are distributed forces calculated and analyzed in structural mechanics?

Distributed forces are typically calculated using mathematical equations and analyzed using principles of mechanics, such as equilibrium equations and stress-strain relationships. Computer software and simulation tools are also commonly used in the analysis process.

5. What are some common examples of distributed forces on structures?

Some common examples of distributed forces on structures include wind loads on buildings, snow loads on roofs, and seismic loads on bridges. Other examples include pressure loads on aircraft wings and thermal loads on pipelines.