Structural Stability of Scyllo vs Myo Inositol

In summary, scyllo-inositol should be more stable than myo-inositol, right? (unless I'm missing a certain detail)
bomba923
Scyllo-inositol should be more stable than myo-inositol, right? (unless I'm missing a certain detail)

But in nearly all literature on inositols, it is always myo-inositol that is primarily focused on. Scyllo-inositol is said to exist in "trace amounts" along with other inositols, while myo-inositol is the most common of all inositols. Also, Wikipedia does not mention scyllo-inositol (only myo-inositol) (see). In general, it seems scyllo-inositol (which I think is the most stable of all inositols) is barely mentioned in inositol literature.

Perhaps myo-inositol is more "useful" nutritionally and otherwise than scyllo-inositol.
But is also more structurally stable than scyllo-inositol??

(Edit: for those who don't know, inositol (C6H12O6) is a structural isomer of glucose; its IUPAC
name would be 1,2,3,4,5,6-cyclohexanehexol. See the attached image for more information
)

Attachments

• Question4.JPG
    Question4.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Wow, it must be over a year since you started thinking about the inositols! Are you making a project out of their study?

As for stability, I'm not as clever (or brave) as you, when it comes to deciding which isomer is more stable. I need to at least see a 3D rendering of the structure before I can make up my mind. It may very easily be (in my judgement, at least) that the steric hindrance is more than made up for by H-bonds between nearby hydroxyl groups.

Gokul43201 said:
Wow, it must be over a year since you started thinking about the inositols! Are you making a project out of their study?
Not really; I thought of them last year when I took organic chemistry at a local community college (as a HS junior), and was looking for a simple organic molecular compound with a high melting point (remember this thread?). Immediately, I thought "carbohydrates", and thus, "glucose"; however, I thought there may be a more...optimal/simpler...way of arranging C6H12O6 and find that (optimal) compound; simply make a six-carbon ring, and attach one hydroxyl to each carbon! And thus, I found "scyllo-inositol".
Gokul43201 said:
I need to at least see a 3D rendering of the structure before I can make up my mind. It may very easily be (in my judgement, at least) that the steric hindrance is more than made up for by H-bonds between nearby hydroxyl groups.
Using ACD ChemSketch, I have some basic (not high quality) 3D rendering of http://www.trc-canada.com/product.lasso?product=I666050 and myo-inositol (see the attached images), and updated my original image :smile:.

*But back to the original question :shy::
Scyllo-inositol is more stable than myo-inositol, right?

Attachments

• Scyllitol1.JPG
    Scyllitol1.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 384
  • Myo-inositol.JPG
    Myo-inositol.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 458
  • Question4.JPG
    Question4.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
From the 3D rendering and additionally,from the melting points, it seems highly likely that there is H-bonding between hydroxyl groups that stabilizes the myo- isomer.

Gokul43201 said:
From the 3D rendering and additionally,from the melting points, it seems highly likely that there is H-bonding between hydroxyl groups that stabilizes the myo- isomer.
Certainly the myo- isomer can be stable...but that does not necessarily make it lower in energy (more stable) than the scyllo- isomer :shy:. Though, I suppose, interconversion between inositol stereoisomers is quite possible if the energy barrier is small enough (but I don't have that information! If I did, my question here would already be answered :redface:).

But anyway, out of all inositol (stereo)isomers, the scyllo- isomer is the lowest in energy (most stable), right?

Last edited:
I would guess that scyllo-isomer would be more stable too. I'm really bad at stereochemistry though. Interesting compounds though- thanks for posting their structures. Are they synthesized from sorbitol by any chance? They look like "cyclosorbitol".

Edit: Sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol are all isomers of C6O6H14- just ignore me.

Last edited:
Cesium said:
Interesting compounds though- thanks for posting their structures. Are they synthesized from sorbitol by any chance? They look like "cyclosorbitol".
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inositol
Inositol is synthesized from G6P (glucose-6-phosphate) in two steps. First G6P is isomerized by INYNA1 to myo-inositol 1-phosphate, which is then dephosphorylated by IMPA1 to yield inositol.
Cesium said:
Edit: Sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol are all isomers of C6O6H14
...Except for xylitol (C5H12O5) :wink:
Cesium said:
I would guess that scyllo-isomer would be more stable too.
:smile: But also (as I think) the most stable of all inositol stereoisomers, right?

Last edited:
bomba923 said:
But anyway, out of all inositol (stereo)isomers, the scyllo- isomer is the lowest in energy (most stable), right?
I wouldn't be surprised if the myo- isomer was more stable. Intramolecular H-bonding stabilizes the molecule. There is more of this in the myo- isomer (indirect evidence for this is its lower mp).

Do you have access to a computational chemistry package such as Gaussian? Gaussian would be perfect for this little question of yours. You could simply write in the coordinates for the atoms of your molecule, do a geometry optimization and see what optmized geometry of the molecule would be. Gaussian can even calculate the energies in hartree focks of the isomers you are talking about which may explain why one is favored over the other.

bomba923 said:
...Except for xylitol (C5H12O5) :wink:

:smile: But also (as I think) the most stable of all inositol stereoisomers, right?

:confused: Dear Sir,

In the following quote "*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inositol
Inositol is synthesized from G6P (glucose-6-phosphate) in two steps. First G6P is isomerized by INYNA1 to myo-inositol 1-phosphate, which is then dephosphorylated by IMPA1 to yield inositol.", I would like to know the meaning of INYNA1.
The meaning of IMPA1, I have found out, "inositol(myo)-1(or 4)-monophosphatase1", but for the abbreviature INYNA1 I have not found out anything!
Could you help me?:confused:

You will find that there is one more axial interaction with the myo than the scyllo compound. Draw the compound as a chair configuration and notice that the scyllo compound has OH groups at equatorial positions. The myo compound has at least one axial OH that interacts with two other protons in axial positions.

You can see it in your 3-D picture.

Stability is not the source of interest in the molecule. Things like myo's association with depression, panic disorder, OC disorder, alzheimer's and so forth form the basis of that focus. The presence of the much rarer scyllo isomer is only interesting as it relates to the inhibition of the uptake of the myo isomer...

Melting points are generally more related to the regularity in the structure rather than differences in energy or biological usefulness of the compounds.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between Scyllo and Myo Inositol?

Scyllo and Myo Inositol are both forms of inositol, a type of sugar alcohol that is naturally found in the body. The main difference between the two is their chemical structure. Scyllo inositol has a specific orientation of its hydroxyl groups, while Myo inositol has a different orientation. This difference in structure can have an impact on the stability and function of these molecules.

2. How does the structural stability of Scyllo vs Myo Inositol affect their function?

The structural stability of these two forms of inositol can affect their ability to interact with other molecules and carry out their biological functions. For example, Scyllo inositol has been found to have a higher affinity for certain proteins and enzymes, making it a potential therapeutic agent for diseases such as Alzheimer's. Myo inositol, on the other hand, is more commonly used as a dietary supplement for its role in maintaining cell membrane integrity.

3. Which form of inositol is more stable?

Studies have shown that Scyllo inositol is more stable than Myo inositol. This is due to its specific orientation of hydroxyl groups, which allows for stronger hydrogen bonding and a more rigid structure. Myo inositol, on the other hand, is more prone to structural changes and is considered less stable.

4. What factors can affect the structural stability of these molecules?

The structural stability of Scyllo and Myo inositol can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pH, and the presence of other molecules. For example, high temperatures can cause these molecules to change their shape, while changes in pH can disrupt their hydrogen bonding and affect their stability. Additionally, the presence of certain molecules or ions can also impact their stability and function.

5. Is there any research on the potential applications of Scyllo vs Myo Inositol?

Yes, there is ongoing research on the potential applications of these two forms of inositol. Scyllo inositol has shown promise in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, as it has been found to inhibit the formation of amyloid plaques in the brain. Myo inositol, on the other hand, has been studied for its role in improving insulin sensitivity and managing conditions such as polycystic ovary syndrome. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential applications of these molecules.