Submitted all of my applications a couple weeks ago

In summary, the conversation revolves around the stress and anxiety of waiting to hear back from graduate school applications. The speakers share their own experiences and offer advice on how to distract oneself during the waiting period. Deadlines and notification dates are also mentioned.
un par de tenis
Anyone else going through this process?

I thought I would be relieved once I submitted everything, but now I just feel worse!

I know I won't be hearing back from places until probably late February at the earliest, but having to just sit here and wait to hear back is brutal.

To those of you that have been through this, how did you take your mind off of the anxiety of waiting to hear back?

EDIT: This is for grad school

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I hear what you are saying. I would be stressed out too, except I applied to a few places early and got in, so that kinda took a bit of the edge off the whole process. Now, I restricted my regular round applications to reach schools only.

Galois314 said:
I hear what you are saying. I would be stressed out too, except I applied to a few places early and got in, so that kinda took a bit of the edge off the whole process. Now, I restricted my regular round applications to reach schools only.

How long did it take you to hear back?

The earliest deadlines for programs that I wanted to apply to were Jan1.

EDIT: I just realized after reading your other thread, that you're applying for undergrad. I'm currently applying to grad school, I'll clarify that in the OP

I applied early action to Caltech, UChicago and a local state school (deadline was end of October). I got accepted at Caltech and the state school and was deferred at UChicago. For EA, the schools usually notify us in early to mid-December. The regular application deadline is Jan 1 typically and we won't hear from anyone until March 14 (pi day) for MIT and usually late March to early April for most of the other schools. So, it's a long wait from now, which is why applying to a couple of schools in the early action round is a good thing in my opinion.

un par de tenis said:
To those of you that have been through this, how did you take your mind off of the anxiety of waiting to hear back?

Involvement in other things.

I know it's hard not to think about these things, but really the best thing that's worked for me was to focus on something else important. There are probably a lot of things that you've been putting off while focussing on these applications. Now is the time to take those back up again. Go back to the gym, get involved in intramurals, dive into a research project, do a bunch of "fun" reading, ask someone out on a date...

I started hearing back in late January. Many schools admit in waves. Often what they’ll do is accept the people who are sure admits pretty early (sometime in mid/late January) and then do the rest in waves, sometime sending out rejections in between. Some schools just admit all of the people at once though and for those schools it usually happens in mid/late February.

1. When is the deadline for submitting applications?

The deadline for submitting applications varies depending on the institution or program you are applying to. It is important to carefully review the application requirements and deadlines for each application to ensure you do not miss any deadlines.

2. How long does it take for applications to be reviewed?

The review process for applications can vary greatly. Some programs may review applications on a rolling basis, while others may have a specific timeline for reviewing all applications. It is best to check with the institution or program for an estimated timeline for the review process.

3. Can I make changes to my submitted applications?

Once you have submitted your applications, it may not be possible to make any changes. Some institutions or programs may allow for minor changes, but it is important to carefully review your applications before submitting to avoid any errors or omissions.

4. How will I know if my applications have been received?

Most institutions or programs will send a confirmation email or provide a status update on your application portal to inform you that your application has been received. If you do not receive any communication, it is best to reach out to the institution or program to confirm that your application was received.

5. When will I hear back about my application?

The timeline for hearing back about your application can vary. Some institutions or programs may provide a specific date for when decisions will be released, while others may simply state that decisions will be made in a certain timeframe. It is best to check with the institution or program for their specific timeline for notifying applicants of their decision.