Suggestions for a free PDF reader

In summary, you can install PrimoPDF to be a PDF writer, but Norton deletes it when you try to install it as a reader on Windows 10. Adobe Reader is another option.
yungman
As the title, I need to install a pdf reader. I use PrimoPDF in all my other laptops. BUT when I try to install onto my new Win10 laptop, Norton kept deleting it and said it's not safe. So I need to find another one that is not a scam. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
yungman said:
As the title, I need to install a pdf reader. I use PrimoPDF in all my other laptops. BUT when I try to install onto my new Win10 laptop, Norton kept deleting it and said it's not safe. So I need to find another one that is not a scam. Any suggestions?

Thanks
You can tell Norton to let it run.

phinds said:
You can tell Norton to let it run.
It refused. Went through the whole thing and Norton did the same thing. I don't want to push it.

Adobe Reader?

yungman said:
It refused. Went through the whole thing and Norton did the same thing. I don't want to push it.
Yeah you have to catch it just right while Norton is getting ready to delete it. If it runs on another Windows system, it's likely OK. If you don't want to try that then I agree w/ Stevie, just use Adobe Reader.

Yes, I would like to use adobe reader, but when I search, as usual, let me to wild goose chase. I just went through doing the Photoshop that supposed to be a download, but ended up keep wanting me to install browser and all. There are a lot of tricks now a days.

If anyone has a reliable reader program, please let me know and give me a link.

Thanks

Another thing I can try is disable the Norton. That Norton is very good protecting the computer, but it is starting to be a pain! Like I had to disable all the safe search and all. It really slow down some very legitimate sites like Digikey and Mouser.

yungman said:
Another thing I can try is disable the Norton. That Norton is very good protecting the computer, but it is starting to be a pain! Like I had to disable all the safe search and all. It really slow down some very legitimate sites like Digikey and Mouser.
Yeah, I don't use Norton safesearch but I certainly advise against turning Norton off.

phinds said:
Yeah, I don't use Norton safesearch but I certainly advise against turning Norton off.
I meant disable Norton when I install PrimoPDF, then turn it on again.

I installed the Primopdf. I actually type in "primopdf.com" and download from the site and installed. Norton did not complain.

That's the reason I am very careful about clicking in any website even I asked and show it was primopdf. So many sites claimed everything and ended up going around and around and make you install all the stuffs.

Thanks

Try getting Acrobat Adobe reader through CNET.

yungman said:
Yes, I would like to use adobe reader, but when I search, as usual, let me to wild goose chase. I just went through doing the Photoshop that supposed to be a download, but ended up keep wanting me to install browser and all. There are a lot of tricks now a days

What about

https://get.adobe.com/reader/

Make sure sure to remove the check marks from the McAfee stuff.

Likes symbolipoint
yungman said:
I need to install a pdf reader. I use PrimoPDF in all my other laptops.
But PrimoPDF is a PDF writer, not a reader, no? I use it to "print" files to PDF format (it installs as a alternate printer choice for me). Not sure how to use it as a Reader...

I would urge caution here. If norton doesn’t like the fil then there is something wrong with the file or with norton. You should be able to find a report on it at the norton website.

It’s always the time when you override something that something bad happens.

Likes MalcolmB
yungman said:
Win10
Shouldn't the win10 internet browser 'Microsoft Edge' run .pdf files? It certainly does so on my system.

Likes symbolipoint
jedishrfu said:
I would urge caution here. If norton doesn’t like the fil then there is something wrong with the file or with norton
No, not necessarily. I've had Norton complain about programs that I've been using for years and that never cause any trouble. It's overly sensitive. Norton KNOWS this happens. It's why they allow the opt-out of their warning (which is how I'm able to run the programs they don't like).

Bandersnatch said:
Shouldn't the win10 internet browser 'Microsoft Edge' run .pdf files? It certainly does so on my system.
So does Firefox...

upload_2018-4-20_19-25-35.png

Although, I do have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC installed, also...

upload_2018-4-20_19-36-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-20_19-25-35.png
    upload_2018-4-20_19-25-35.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 646
  • upload_2018-4-20_19-36-57.png
    upload_2018-4-20_19-36-57.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
One can find the Adobe Reader (for pdf's) from the Adobe website.

Another alternative if you do not need anything fancy just to read a pdf, if install or unpack SumatraPDF.

No doubt, MS Edge will open pdf's and you do not need another pdf reader. I never yet installed any pdf reader on my 'new' Windows 10 laptop computer. No problem for me so far.

About Norton removing your application or part of it: You can complain to Symantec, and you can also report the file to Symantec or Norton for it/them to check; and to hopefully allow it as safe, eventually.

symbolipoint said:
About Norton removing your application or part of it: You can complain to Symantec, and you can also report the file to Symantec or Norton for it/them to check; and to hopefully allow it as safe, eventually.
Should not be necessary. See post #16

I've been using the free Nitro Reader for years, it seems a bit more user friendly than Adobe Reader. There is also a paid version.

phinds said:
Should not be necessary. See post #16
I did not see the "opt-out" choice.

No-matter, I had at one time, Adobe Reader on Windows Vista (not W10) with Norton products installed. No trouble. Later, I switched to PDF X-change Viewer, and still no trouble. Never yet tried NitroPDF.

For free reader, I've used Foxit and have liked it OK. It seems to be fine in Windows 10, and adds a PDF printer. They have a pay version, also.

Previously, I used Edge, Firefox, or OpenOffice.

1. What is a PDF reader?

A PDF reader is a software application that allows you to view, print, and edit PDF documents. PDF stands for Portable Document Format, and it is a popular file format for sharing documents that preserves the original formatting and layout.

2. Why do I need a free PDF reader?

A free PDF reader is necessary if you want to open and view PDF documents without having to purchase expensive software. It also allows you to access a variety of features such as bookmarking, annotations, and digital signatures.

3. What are the most important features to look for in a free PDF reader?

The most important features to look for in a free PDF reader include the ability to view and print PDF documents, support for different platforms and devices, security features, and additional features such as annotation and editing tools.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a free PDF reader?

As with any software, there is always a risk of security vulnerabilities or malware when using a free PDF reader. However, reputable and trusted PDF readers often have regular updates to address these risks.

5. Can I convert PDF documents into other file formats with a free PDF reader?

Some free PDF readers do offer the ability to convert PDF documents into other file formats, such as Word or Excel. However, this feature may not be available in all free PDF readers, so it is important to check the features before choosing one.