Suggestions for studying Electromagnetism

In summary: If it's something that you feel you need to understand from a mathematical perspective, then by all means try and solve it. But if it's something that you feel you can understand from a conceptual perspective, then by all means skim through it and move on. However, if you can't understand it at all, then you might want to try going back and doing the exercise at the end of the chapter.
dRic2
Gold Member
(Hope I posted in the right section)

Hi, starting from next semester I will have to attend classes that require a "decent" understanding of electromagnetism. I know very little about it though (it's a very long story...) so I started to study Griffith's book. At least I know the mathematics well enough to understand it (not tensor), so this speeds up the process of learning, but, of course, it takes a lot of time.
Then it came to me that usually most students, before attending an EM course, have already studied waves mechanics and optics in general physics courses. Well, I didn't (still long story...). Anyway I know the mathematics for a basic understanding and I know something about the physics too, but not much in detail.

Do you think I should study waves and a little bit of optic first to better understand EM, or I can skip it and study it later if I have the time (I'm planning to study it anyway) ?

thanks
Ric

Physics news on Phys.org
Wave mechanics is generally required only when you reach Maxwell's Wave equation. That is where you need to know the general wave equation. I don't remember needing optics while studying electromagnetism.

However, if you need, you can refer to these two courses which are on basic physics: Fundamentals of Physics Part 1 and Part 2 by Prof. Ramamurti Shankar. Part 1 is basically the mechanics and dynamics and relativity, while part 2 has introductory electromagnetism and optics and some quantum mechanics as well. In addition, the lecture notes are available in book form: Fundamentals of Physics Volume 1 and Volume 2. But you don't need the books very much if you like the lectures. Refer to the lectures when you need. I have myself learned from those lectures, so they are good.

In addition, for you can have a look at this lecture course in electromagnetism, because I feel that when someone teaches you, things become a bit easier: Electromagnetism by Prof. Manoj Harbola. This course is in a good depth and you might consider having a look at it. It covers everything that Prof. Shankar covers, but in more details. If you can't understand at first, you might have to go back to Prof. Shankar's course and attend the electromagnetism part.

Likes dRic2
Thanks for all the material, but I think I'll stick to Griffith's book because I prefer to study on books. I think I'm going to skip optics and learn something about waves mechanics on the way.

PS: I'll definitively watch the youtube lectures for "intellectual pleasure" ;)

Likes Wrichik Basu
dRic2 said:
Thanks for all the material, but I think I'll stick to Griffith's book because I prefer to study on books. I think I'm going to skip optics and learn something about waves mechanics on the way.

If you can pick up Griffith's and study from it, then you have almost everything you need. It is when you come across something and you have no idea how it was derived or where it came from that you will need to go look elsewhere.

Zz.

Likes dRic2
Hi, I would like to ask for one more advice.

I've studied the first two chapters and a bit of the third and I did all the exercise "on the way" (the ones between paragraphs - not the ones at the end of each chapter).
Since I have other courses to attend (and to study) I try to dedicate 2 hours at night to Griffiths' book, but the time is still limited. I know that the more exercise I do the better, but what do you think about the exercises at the end of the chapters ?

Should I skip them and maybe take a look at them in the future or should I try to solve as much as I can ?

Note that I'm talking about the exercise at the end of the chapters, not the on "in the middle".

dRic2 said:
Hi, I would like to ask for one more advice.

I've studied the first two chapters and a bit of the third and I did all the exercise "on the way" (the ones between paragraphs - not the ones at the end of each chapter).
Since I have other courses to attend (and to study) I try to dedicate 2 hours at night to Griffiths' book, but the time is still limited. I know that the more exercise I do the better, but what do you think about the exercises at the end of the chapters ?

Should I skip them and maybe take a look at them in the future or should I try to solve as much as I can ?

Note that I'm talking about the exercise at the end of the chapters, not the on "in the middle".

What I generally do when I'm pressed for time and am considering problem sets that aren't required:

Essentially skim through them and see if the "first solution" is immediately obvious after reading the problem statement. That is, don't default to doing each problem, but quickly ask yourself if you are certain of the approach that you would take. If the appropriate techniques are not obvious, then you may have found a problem that will offer more benefit for the time you spend, rather than spending time grinding through the algebra on a process that's already very familiar to you.

Of course, if you tend to be overconfident, you may end up skipping more problems than you should be. On the flip side, if you lack confidence, doing extra (but perhaps unnecessary) practice problems will help build confidence.

undefined314 said:
What I generally do when I'm pressed for time and am considering problem sets that aren't required:

Essentially skim through them and see if the "first solution" is immediately obvious after reading the problem statement. That is, don't default to doing each problem, but quickly ask yourself if you are certain of the approach that you would take. If the appropriate techniques are not obvious, then you may have found a problem that will offer more benefit for the time you spend, rather than spending time grinding through the algebra on a process that's already very familiar to you.

Of course, if you tend to be overconfident, you may end up skipping more problems than you should be. On the flip side, if you lack confidence, doing extra (but perhaps unnecessary) practice problems will help build confidence.

What about those exercises that requires to go through the math and maybe use some "tricks" to avoid endless calculations? Maybe the idea behind those exercise seems straightforward, but we you really have to carry out the solution you eventually get stuck due to lack of "skills" rather than lack of knowledge.

1. What is the best way to approach studying electromagnetism?

The best way to approach studying electromagnetism is to first gain a solid understanding of the basic concepts and principles. This includes understanding the properties of electric and magnetic fields, how they interact, and the relationships between them. It is also important to practice solving problems and applying these concepts in various scenarios.

2. How can I improve my understanding of electromagnetic equations and formulas?

One effective way to improve your understanding of electromagnetic equations and formulas is to break them down and try to understand the meaning and purpose of each component. It can also be helpful to visualize these equations and how they relate to real-world scenarios. Practicing solving problems using these equations can also greatly improve understanding.

3. Are there any recommended resources for studying electromagnetism?

Yes, there are many resources available for studying electromagnetism, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, and practice problems. It is important to find a resource that works best for your learning style and to consult with your instructor or peers for recommendations.

4. How can I apply the concepts of electromagnetism in real life?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental aspect of our world and has many practical applications. Some examples include electric motors, generators, and transformers, as well as the technology we use in our daily lives such as cell phones, computers, and televisions. Understanding electromagnetism can also help in fields such as engineering, physics, and telecommunications.

5. What are some common misconceptions about electromagnetism?

One common misconception about electromagnetism is that it only involves electricity and magnets. In reality, it also encompasses concepts such as electric and magnetic fields, electromagnetic radiation, and the relationship between electricity and magnetism. Another misconception is that electromagnetic waves require a medium to travel through, when in fact they can travel through a vacuum.