Summer REU/Internships & Algebraic Topology/Category Theory Questions

In summary, most undergraduate students do not conduct research that is as serious as graduate-level research, but it is not uncommon to have undergraduate research be published. The type of math background that a student has is not as important as the dedication to research. Math programs in Moscow and Budapest are highly recommended for students who are interested in studying AT and CT.
Predicate
Hello,

I have a few questions that I feel would help me better understand a few things. The first set of questions relate to the type of research opportunities some of you guys will be involved with this summer. The second set of questions are a bit different and are related to math courses in preparation for Algebraic Topology/Category Theory.

First how common is it for undergraduate students to get involved in research? I was under the impression some undergraduate research topics are topics that professors feel can be completed within a few semesters. Nothing as serious as research at the graduate level, is this generally true, despite the field (ie math, physics)? I know some research conducted at the undergraduate level is very serious. Any research period must look good on an applicant's transcript! But would it hinder the transcript if the applicant conducted research for a few semesters but not publish anything? How hard is it to get your results published if you feel like you made substantial progress?

This leads to my second question, what summer REU/Internships will some of you be doing this summer? What kind of math/physics background do you guys have course wise? What do you feel made you stand out over the other applicants, and what kind of various research projects will you guys be working on?

I'd like to eventually study Algebraic Topology and Category Theory. I am thinking about taking a group theory, a real analysis and a topology course. Would this be the natural progression one would need to have under their belt before they study AT? What books would you guys recommend to study AT with? I figure once I learn group theory I can go back and learn the basics of ring theory by myself. Basically I am wondering what mathematical foundations do I need to have in order to study AT and Category Theory? Are these courses generally taught at the undergraduate level?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I took a research class in Algebraic Topology last semester. Most of the background material I spent a lot of time reading was ring and module theory. I'm continuing with this in the fall and this summer I'm going some stuff in basic Algebraic Geometry. Basically to reinforce ring theory and since the AT stuff I was doing has a lot of overlap with AG. Category theory was mentioned a few times in the AT class, but I don't plan on studying it in any real depth until this Fall when Lang's Algebra forces me to. The summer program is not an REU, but a VIGRE thing being held at my school so there wasn't any admissions competition. I didn't apply to any REU's this year, but I plan to next year. I did an REU last summer as a freshman, but I'm still working on that paper, and I doubt it's going to get published in something better than an undergrad "journal".

Predicate said:
Basically I am wondering what mathematical foundations do I need to have in order to study AT and Category Theory? Are these courses generally taught at the undergraduate level?

I wonder if it would depend on the school to offer undergrad courses in AT and CT...but me personally have only seen Topology being offered as an undergrad course and it was only like once every two years or something like that.

What do REUs typically look for in a math student?

I was also wondering if anyone attended the Math in Moscow or Budapest Semesters in Mathematics program?
I am interested in these type of programs and would be very interested in reading the experience of those that have participated in an REU or a study semester program.

Last edited:

1. What is a Summer REU/Internship?

A Summer REU/Internship is a research opportunity for undergraduate students to participate in a specific research project during the summer. It is usually hosted by universities or research institutions and allows students to gain hands-on experience in their field of study.

2. How can I find Summer REU/Internship opportunities in Algebraic Topology/Category Theory?

To find Summer REU/Internship opportunities in Algebraic Topology/Category Theory, you can start by checking the websites of universities or research institutions that specialize in these fields. You can also reach out to professors or mentors for recommendations or search for programs on websites such as the National Science Foundation's REU site or MathPrograms.org.

3. What is Algebraic Topology?

Algebraic Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies topological spaces using algebraic tools. It involves the study of algebraic invariants that remain unchanged under continuous deformations, such as homotopy groups and homology groups.

4. What is Category Theory?

Category Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies mathematical structures and the relationships between them. It abstracts from specific mathematical objects and focuses on the patterns and structures that are common to different mathematical fields. It is often used as a tool for unifying different areas of mathematics.

5. What are some applications of Algebraic Topology/Category Theory in real life?

Algebraic Topology has various applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used in data analysis, computer vision, and robotics. Category Theory has applications in computer science, linguistics, and philosophy. It is also used in the field of functional programming in computer science.