Surface Area of Paraboloid Limited by Plane

In summary, you need to find the surface area of a paraboloid limited by a polar plane. You parametrize the paraboloid in polar coordinates and the problem becomes finding the limits of integration. You solve this by using cylindrical coordinates and then get the surface area using the integral over the region of integration.
Telemachus
Hi there, I have to compute the surface area for
[tex]V:\{ -2(x+y)\leq{}z\leq{}4-x^2-y^2 \}[/tex]

I have a problem on finding the surface area for the paraboloid limited by the plane. I've parametrized the plane in polar coordinates, I thought it would be easier this way, but also tried in cartesian coordinates with the same result. The problem I have is to set the limits of integration on such a way that determines the area of the paraboloid limited by the plane.

So the paraboloid is parametrized by:

[tex]x=r\sin \theta,y=r \cos \theta,z=4-r^2[/tex]

Then [tex]T_r=( \sin \theta, \cos \theta,-2r);T_{\theta}=(r\cos\theta,-r\sin\theta,0)[/tex]
[tex]T_r \times T_{\theta}=(-2r^2\sin^2 \theta,-2r^2\cos^2\theta,-r)[/tex]
[tex]||T_r \times T_{\theta}||=\sqrt[ ]{4r^4+r^2}[/tex]

Now the surface area is determined by: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{D} ||T_r \times T_{\theta}||drd\theta[/tex]
Now D is the region inside the disc determined by the intersection of the surfaces. So D:
[tex]-2x-2y=4-x^2-y^2\rightarrow (x-1)^2+(y-1)^2=6[/tex]

And this is my region of integration for my paraboloid. Now it doesn't seem so easy to express the region for the parametrization I choose.

So I'm trying to solve this in cartesian coordinates, this is the integral for the surface in cartesian coord:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{1-\sqrt[ ]{6}}^{1+\sqrt[ ]{6}}\int_{-\sqrt[ ]{6-(x-1)^2}+1}^{\sqrt[ ]{6-(x-1)^2}+1} \sqrt[ ]{4x^2+4y^2+1} dydx[/tex]

But this integral isn't so easy to solve. I tried to go from here to cylindrical coordinates, using the substitution [tex]x=1+r\cos\theta,y=1+r\sin\theta[/tex] that helps a bit with the limits of integration.

Then I get: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{1-\sqrt[ ]{6}}^{1+\sqrt[ ]{6}}\int_{-\sqrt[ ]{6-(x-1)^2}+1}^{\sqrt[ ]{6-(x-1)^2}+1} \sqrt[ ]{4x^2+4y^2+1} dydx=\displaystyle\int_{0}^{\sqrt[ ]{6}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}r\sqrt[ ]{16+8r\cos\theta+8r\sin\theta+4r^2}d\theta dr[/tex]

Thats the best expression I get, but still too complicated to integrate by hand.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Telemachus! :smile:

You're trying to use a ∫∫

It would be simpler to use a single ∫, over z …

just ask yourself how large the arc-angle is at each height z. :wink:

Sorry, didn't get it, could you write the expression? you mean using something like a surface of revolution?

Thanks Tim.

1. What is a paraboloid?

A paraboloid is a three-dimensional curved surface that resembles a parabola. It can be formed by rotating a parabola around its axis.

2. How is the surface area of a paraboloid limited by a plane?

The surface area of a paraboloid can be limited by a plane if the plane intersects the paraboloid, creating a boundary that limits the surface area.

3. What is the formula for calculating the surface area of a paraboloid limited by a plane?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a paraboloid limited by a plane is A = 2πrL, where A is the surface area, r is the radius of the paraboloid, and L is the length of the intersection between the paraboloid and the plane.

4. Can the surface area of a paraboloid be infinite?

No, the surface area of a paraboloid cannot be infinite. It is limited by the size of the paraboloid and the plane that intersects it.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating the surface area of a paraboloid limited by a plane?

Calculating the surface area of a paraboloid limited by a plane can be useful in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It can help determine the surface area of objects with curved surfaces, such as domes and satellite dishes, and can aid in calculating the amount of material needed for construction or the amount of heat absorbed by an object.