Surface current on a spherical superconductor

In summary, a spherical superconductor is a type of material that exhibits zero electrical resistance when cooled below a critical temperature. This allows for the formation of surface currents, which are circular currents that flow along the surface of the material. These surface currents can create a protective barrier around the superconductor, shielding it from external magnetic fields. Additionally, they can be controlled and manipulated by applying external magnetic fields, making spherical superconductors potential candidates for use in advanced technologies such as magnetic levitation and high-speed transportation systems.
gausswell
Homework Statement
Find the surface current on a spherical superconductor.
Relevant Equations
K=sigma * v
I need help with part b.
21926439f11214bdb3d781885d057ff2.png

My solution:
e632f985b3cb7405287859652045a98d.png

Have I done it right?

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
gausswell said:
Have I done it right?
Your work looks right to me.

Likes gausswell and vanhees71

1. What is a surface current on a spherical superconductor?

A surface current on a spherical superconductor refers to the flow of electrical current on the surface of a spherical object made of a superconductive material. This current is induced by an external magnetic field and flows along the surface of the sphere without any resistance.

2. How is a surface current different from a regular current?

A surface current is different from a regular current in that it flows only on the surface of a conductor, while a regular current flows through the entire volume of the conductor. Additionally, a surface current is not affected by the resistance of the material, making it a more efficient way of conducting electricity.

3. What causes a surface current on a spherical superconductor?

A surface current on a spherical superconductor is caused by the Meissner effect, which is the expulsion of magnetic fields from a superconductor. When a superconductor is placed in an external magnetic field, the magnetic field lines are pushed to the surface, creating a surface current.

4. What are the applications of surface current on a spherical superconductor?

Surface current on a spherical superconductor has several potential applications, including in high-speed magnetic levitation trains, superconducting generators and motors, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It can also be used in particle accelerators and other high-energy physics experiments.

5. How is the surface current on a spherical superconductor measured?

The surface current on a spherical superconductor can be measured using a Hall probe, which is a device that measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field. By placing the Hall probe on the surface of the spherical superconductor, the strength of the surface current can be determined. Other methods, such as using a SQUID (Superconducting Quantum Interference Device), can also be used to measure surface current.