Surface integrals to derive area of sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive the surface area of a sphere using surface integrals. One method involves using an expression for sec \gamma in polar coordinates and integrating, while the other method uses spherical coordinates. It is mentioned that the first method only finds the area of one hemisphere and would need to be multiplied by 2. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that there is always something to learn in mathematics.
bawbag
Given a sphere [tex] x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = a^2[/tex] how would I derive the surface area by using surface integrals?

The method I've tried is as follows: [tex]dA = sec\ \gamma \ dxdy[/tex] where gamma is the angle between the tangent plane at dA and the xy plane. [tex]sec \gamma = \frac{|\nabla \varphi|}{\partial \varphi /\partial z}[/tex][tex] = \frac{\sqrt{(2x)^2 + (2y)^2 + (2z)^2}}{2z}[/tex][tex] = \frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2 - x^2 - y^2}}[/tex]

converting to polar coordinates and integrating the expression for [itex]sec \gamma[/itex][tex]\int^{a}_{0}\int^{2 \pi}_{0} \frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2 - r^2}} r \ drd \theta[/tex] and using substitution [itex] u = a^2 - r^2[/itex] yields [tex] -a \pi [2 \sqrt{a^2 - a^2} - 2 \sqrt{a^2 - 0}][/tex][tex] = 2 \pi a^2[/tex] Obviously the area of a sphere is [itex] 4 \pi a^2[/itex] so did I do the calculation wrong, or does this method only find the area of one hemisphere, in which case I should multiply the answer by 2?

Thanks in advance

Likes WMDhamnekar
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you only did the top half of the sphere. It would be much easier using spherical coordinates where$$
dS = a^2\sin\phi~ d\phi d\theta$$

Likes WMDhamnekar
Thanks, I thought as much. I know how to do it using the spherical polars, but I was just curious as to whether the surface integral method worked as well.

Every day's a school day. Thanks again!

1. How do surface integrals help derive the area of a sphere?

Surface integrals involve calculating the area of a surface by integrating over small portions of the surface. By dividing the surface of a sphere into infinitely small patches and integrating their areas, we can derive the total surface area of the sphere.

2. What is the mathematical equation for calculating the area of a sphere using surface integrals?

The equation for calculating the area of a sphere using surface integrals is: A = ∫∫S ||∂r/∂u x ∂r/∂v|| dS, where A is the area, S is the surface, r is the position vector, u and v are the parameters of the surface, and ||∂r/∂u x ∂r/∂v|| is the magnitude of the cross product of the partial derivatives of r with respect to u and v.

3. Can surface integrals be used to derive the volume of a sphere as well?

No, surface integrals are only used to calculate the area of a surface. To derive the volume of a sphere, we use the formula V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the sphere.

4. Are there any other methods for deriving the area of a sphere?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the formula A = 4πr^2, where r is the radius of the sphere, or using spherical coordinates to calculate the area. However, surface integrals are a more general and versatile method that can be applied to other surfaces as well.

5. Are surface integrals used in any other fields of science?

Yes, surface integrals are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to calculate quantities like surface area, flux, and work done. They are also used in electromagnetism to calculate the electric and magnetic fields at a given point.