Susskind lectures on Quantum Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to learn quantum physics before starting university and the necessary math prerequisites for studying the subject. The Susskind lectures are recommended as a secondary resource, with a textbook and challenging problems being the primary way to learn. The prerequisites for quantum physics are listed as calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and a good understanding of classical mechanics. The conversation also mentions other resources, such as Professor Binney's lectures, and suggests a familiarity with complex numbers and Fourier analysis for a better understanding of quantum physics.
|mathematix|
Are the susskind lectures a good way to learn quantum physics?
I am doing just the introduction to quantum physics in high school and we have done:

Black body radiation, photoelectric effect, Rutherford, Bohr's, Compton effect, pair production, a lot about de Broglie wave-matter duality, confirmation of W-M duality, linear superposition, uncertainty principle, Wolfgang Pauli's work, quarks etc.

I would like to self learn actual quantum physics before I go to uni. I have the Zettili textbook but I found lectures from Stanford by Leonard Susskind so are they good? Is that how quantum physics is tought in most unis? The thing is that I want to prepare myself for uni quantum physics so I don't waste my time.

Also, what's the math level required for quantum physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
The lectures are pretty nice. But please don't rely on those lecture alone. They should be merely a secondary resource, not a primary one.
It is crucial that you get an actual textbook on QM and work through that. In particular: do as many challenging problems as you can. Just reading the book or watching the lectures will teach you very little.

The prerequisites to QM are (imo):
- Calculus I, II and III
- Differential Equations
- Linear algebra proof based (not necessary, but HIGHLY recommended)
- A very good grasp of classical mechanics, including Hamiltonian mechanics

If you do QM without those prerequisites, then you will only get a watered down version. It's better to secure the prereqs for now and not to go into QM too quickly.

Since you're in high school, if you know calculus and algebra Susskind's lectures are a very good resource.

However they are not like the standard undergraduate courses. They cover only the very basic ideas. As an undergraduate you will learn a lot more than what Susskind covers.

I need to learn differential equations (for some reason this isn't covered in high school maths) and Hamiltonian mechanics properly then :)

Do you recommend any textbooks/sites to learn these?

dx said:
Since you're in high school, if you know calculus and algebra Susskind's lectures are a very good resource.

However they are not like the standard undergraduate courses. They cover only the very basic ideas. As an undergraduate you will learn a lot more than what Susskind covers.

Yeah, I looked through the Zettili textbook, looks way more complicated then Susskind's.

When I began to learn QM on my own I watched some Susskind lectures. There is a series of video lectures by professor J. J. Binney of Oxford which covers more. I think the Binney lectures might be more representative of undergraduate QM at one of the better universities. The Susskind lectures might be more basic and don't cover as much.

As for the math knowledge, I would say you must know some things about calculus, linear algebra, and complex numbers first. That is, you should have the equivalent of BC calculus that covers derivatives, integrals, and Taylor series expansions, and also one semester of linear algebra. You should know complex number concepts like complex multiplication, complex conjugate, and Euler's formula/polar representation.

Familiarity with Fourier analysis, Dirac deltas, and generalization of elementary linear algebra concepts to continuous functions might be beneficial. I knew about those when I began to study QM in earnest.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of the Susskind lectures on Quantum Physics?

The purpose of the Susskind lectures on Quantum Physics is to provide a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics. These lectures are designed for both beginners and those with prior knowledge of physics.

Who is Leonard Susskind?

Leonard Susskind is a renowned physicist and professor at Stanford University. He is known for his contributions to quantum mechanics, theoretical physics, and string theory. He is also a co-founder of the field of string theory and has authored several books on physics.

Are the Susskind lectures on Quantum Physics suitable for beginners?

Yes, the Susskind lectures are designed to be accessible for beginners. Susskind uses easy-to-understand language and examples to explain the complex concepts of quantum mechanics. However, some prior knowledge of basic physics and math may be helpful.

What topics are covered in the Susskind lectures on Quantum Physics?

The Susskind lectures cover a wide range of topics, including the history of quantum mechanics, wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, quantum entanglement, and the Schrödinger equation. Susskind also discusses the applications of quantum mechanics in various fields such as computing and cryptography.

Are the Susskind lectures on Quantum Physics available online?

Yes, the Susskind lectures are available on various online platforms such as YouTube and Stanford's official website. They are free to access and can be watched at any time. Additionally, there are also written lecture notes and problem sets available for those who prefer to learn through reading and solving problems.