Is particle physics that important?

In summary: But I'm asking because I'm thinking about taking a course in QFT for my physics master and I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time.I would recommend that you take the course, and that you focus on understanding relativistic wave equations and the standard model. This will give you a better foundation for understanding more complicated theories.
Philip Land
Hey!

I will start my third year on the theoretical physics program. I have taken an introduction course in particle physics, just the basics, not much math. (quark and Feynman diagrams the forces and interaction , CRM matrix and cabibbo angle etc. )

Now I'm choosing between relativistic electromagnetism (which seems like a great course) and particle physics.

I want to do general relativity, quantum gravity and string theory in my master. I really think that particle physics is extremely boring, I simply don't click with the standardmodell and the formalism, its nothing for me.

But I know that quantum gravity models is a lot of particle physics on higher energies. So am I stupid not to get good at particle physics and take the advanced course? Or can I be sloppy about, course-wise, until I need it?

Can someone give me some advice here based on their experience?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that relativistic electromagnetism means a course on electromagnetism using the covariant formulation. If so, then that is an important course and a good lead into general relativity. What does this "particle physics" course actually entail? Is it really a course on quantum field theory? It would probably be helpful to know what the textbooks are for these courses.

Want to learn string theory without knowing particle physics!

If particle physics is boring (I find it boring sometimes too), string theory is 10× more boring than that ^^" << No offense

For me, general relativity is way more exciting because I understand its concepts to a certain extent, I find particle physics boring because I understand nearly nothing. Maybe you are just not prepared for it and you need more understanding of the basic rules of physics.

Phylosopher said:
Want to learn string theory without knowing particle physics!

If particle physics is boring (I find it boring sometimes too), string theory is 10× more boring than that ^^" << No offense

For me, general relativity is way more exciting because I understand its concepts to a certain extent, I find particle physics boring because I understand nearly nothing. Maybe you are just not prepared for it and you need more understanding of the basic rules of physics.
Hi!

I don't think the concept is boring, more the formalism. But my question really is. In QFT, we come to particlephysics and the standard model by understand relativistic wave equations for spin 0, 1/2 and 1 fields. But do I still need "ordinary" particle physics or can I more or less leave that out?

I get the feeling that its like Newtonian dynamics and Lagrangian dynamics. There's no reason for a theoretical physicist to lay much focus on Newtonian dynamics, since lagrangian dynamics arrives at the same results, but are more useful.

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of matter and their interactions. It involves studying particles such as quarks, electrons, and photons and their behavior at the subatomic level.

2. Why is particle physics important?

Particle physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of the universe and how it works. It also has practical applications in fields such as medicine, technology, and energy production.

3. What are the main goals of particle physics?

The main goals of particle physics are to understand the nature of matter, the forces that govern the universe, and to find answers to some of the biggest questions in physics, such as the origin of the universe and the existence of dark matter.

4. How does particle physics impact our daily lives?

Particle physics has led to many technological advancements, such as the development of medical imaging devices, nuclear power, and computer technology. It also helps us understand the properties of materials and how to manipulate them for practical applications.

5. What are some current challenges in particle physics?

One of the biggest challenges in particle physics is to reconcile the theories of the very large (general relativity) and the very small (quantum mechanics). Another challenge is to discover new particles and understand their properties, such as the recently discovered Higgs boson.