Synthetic and Long Division for (9x^4 - x^2 - 6x + 2) / (3x - 1)

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Division
In summary, the conversation is about dividing a polynomial, 9x^4-x^2-6x+2, by a linear expression, 3x-1, using either long division or synthetic division. The root is found to be x = 1/3 and the attempt at a solution is shown using synthetic division. It is pointed out that the second line of the synthetic division should be 3 -1 -6 2 and not 3 -1 0 -2. It is also mentioned that the result should be divided by 3. The conversation then shifts to a physics forum and the speaker mentions that they have posted in a recent Gauss's Law thread.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

I apologise that this is not in LaTeX, but i just couldn't find the codes

Use long division or synthetic division: (9x^4 -x^2 - 6x+2) / (3x-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

So the root is x = 1/3

P(1/3) = 0, no remaindar

1/3 | 9 0 -1 -6 2
...|...3 -1 0 -2

Where did i go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you do really? If I guess well, the second line should be
3 -1 -6 2.

ehild

You should ADD items in the first and second lines.

Don't forget to divide the result by 3.

Sammy, why did you leave the physics forum? Come back!

Gee, I think I'm still there --- or am I here ??

BTW: I've posted a couple of times in a recent Gauss's Law thread of yours.

SammyS said:
Gee, I think I'm still there --- or am I here ??

BTW: I've posted a couple of times in a recent Gauss's Law thread of yours.

If you are talking about this one https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=489350&page=9, I think eveyrone gave up on it already lol. Oh yeah yuo mean my new problem.

The problem was to divide [itex]9x^4- x^2- 6x+ 2[/itex] by 3x- 1. Your synthetic division is dividing by x- 1/3. That's why SammyS says you need to also divide by 3.

Related to Synthetic and Long Division for (9x^4 - x^2 - 6x + 2) / (3x - 1)

1. What is synthetic division?

Synthetic division is a method used to divide a polynomial by a binomial of the form (ax + b). It is a shortcut method that allows for quicker and easier division compared to traditional long division.

2. How do you perform synthetic division?

To perform synthetic division, the coefficients of the polynomial (9x^4 - x^2 - 6x + 2) are written in a row, with a placeholder for any missing terms. Then, the divisor (3x - 1) is written to the left of the coefficients. The first coefficient is brought down and multiplied by the divisor, and the resulting product is written below the next coefficient. This process is repeated until all coefficients have been used. The final result is the quotient of the division.

3. What is the purpose of synthetic division?

The purpose of synthetic division is to solve polynomial equations and to find the remainder when dividing polynomials. It is also useful in simplifying rational expressions and finding the roots of polynomials.

4. Can synthetic division be used for all polynomial divisions?

No, synthetic division can only be used when dividing by a binomial of the form (ax + b). When dividing by a polynomial with more than two terms, long division must be used.

5. How do you check the answer when using synthetic division?

To check the answer, the quotient obtained from synthetic division can be multiplied by the divisor and added to the remainder. The resulting expression should be equal to the original polynomial. If they are not equal, there may have been an error in the division process.