System of linear equations with a parameter

In summary, So the value of $\lambda$ that would result in only the zero solution for the given linear equation system of three unknowns is 1.
Yankel
Hello all,

I need your help with this tricky problem.

Determine the value of \[\lambda\] so that the following linear equation system of three unknowns has only the zero solution:

\[\begin{pmatrix} 1 &1 &1 &0 \\ 1 &\lambda &1 &0 \\ \lambda &1 &1 &0 \end{pmatrix}\]

I have started working on the system to bring it to the form in which I can answer the question, and after one stage I got here:

\[\begin{pmatrix} 1 &1 &1 &0 \\ 0 &\lambda-1 &0 &0 \\ 0 &1-\lambda &1-\lambda &0 \end{pmatrix}\]

Now here is where I am stuck, I don't know how to proceed, knowing that any division by \[\lambda-1\] or \[1-\lambda\] is not allowed since it can be a division by 0.

Will appreciate your guidance. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you replace the last line by the sum of the last two?

In general, if it makes sense to divide by an expression that may be equal to zero, you can go ahead and divide and note that later you have to go back and examine what happens when the expression does equal zero.

Also, am I missing something or there is a single value of $\lambda$ where the system has infinitely many solutions, while for all other values of $\lambda$ the system has a single zero solution?

No, you are not missing anything, this is indeed the answer, and yes, I could have just sum them, a big Oops from my side ! :eek:

But generally speaking, like you said, so it is legal to divide, as long as I go and check it later ? So in this example:

\[\begin{pmatrix} 1 &k &1 &0 \\ 0 &1-k^{2} &0 &0 \\ 0 &-k^{2}-k-1 &-k &0 \end{pmatrix}\]

I can divide the second row by 1-k^2, then do

\[R_{3}x \mapsto R_{3}-(-k^{2}-k-1)R_{2}\]

?

If to so, I need to check what happen if 1-k^2 is 0. In this case k=1,-1.

The solutions in this case, are that for k=0,1,-1 there is an infinite number of solutions. Getting that directly, means that I have nothing left to check ? Am I correct with my solution ?

Thanks !Edit:

Where should I check the values which comes from the division (that yield division by 0) ? In the original equations ?

If you want to avoid the mental gymnastics that go along with dividing by quantities that contain a variable, I would merely bring the (3x3 portion of the) matrix to upper-triangular form and use "back-substitution". So starting with:

$\begin{bmatrix}1&1&1&0\\0&\lambda - 1&0&0\\0&1 - \lambda&1 - \lambda&0 \end{bmatrix}$

by adding row 2 to row 3 we get:

$\begin{bmatrix}1&1&1&0\\0&\lambda - 1&0&0\\0&0&1 - \lambda&0 \end{bmatrix}$

The last row tells us that:

$(1 - \lambda)z = 0$

If we want the ONLY possible solution to be $z = 0$, clearly we can take any $\lambda \neq 1$.

Similarly, the second row tells us:

$(\lambda - 1)y = 0$

and here, again any $\lambda \neq 1$ forces $y= 0$.

Finally, the top row tells us:

$x + y + z = 0$.

If $\lambda \neq 1$, we have $y = z = 0$, which then forces $x = 0$.

Here is another approach:

The system will have a unique solution (the 0-vector, since it is a homogeneous system) iff the determinant of your original 3x3 matrix is non-zero. So let's take the determinant, and see what we discover:

$\begin{vmatrix}1&1&1\\1&\lambda&1\\ \lambda&1&1 \end{vmatrix} = \lambda + \lambda + 1 - \lambda^2 - 1 - 1 = -1 + 2\lambda - \lambda^2$

Thus this is non-zero when:

$\lambda^2 - 2\lambda + 1 \neq 0$

That is, when:

$(\lambda - 1)^2 \neq 0 \implies \lambda - 1 \neq 0 \implies \lambda \neq 1$

Hello,

I can see that you have made good progress in solving this system of linear equations. To determine the value of \[\lambda\] for which the system has only the zero solution, we need to consider the reduced row echelon form of the matrix. From the matrix you have provided, we can see that the first row is already in the reduced row echelon form. Now, we need to focus on the second and third rows.

We can see that the second row has a leading coefficient of \[\lambda-1\]. In order for the system to have only the zero solution, this leading coefficient must be equal to 0. Therefore, we can conclude that \[\lambda-1=0\] or \[\lambda=1\]. Similarly, for the third row, the leading coefficient is \[1-\lambda\], which must also be equal to 0. This leads to the same conclusion that \[\lambda=1\].

Therefore, we can say that for the given system to have only the zero solution, the value of \[\lambda\] must be equal to 1. I hope this helps and guides you in solving the problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Related to System of linear equations with a parameter

What is a system of linear equations with a parameter?

A system of linear equations with a parameter is a set of equations that involve one or more variables and a parameter, which is a constant that can take on different values. The goal of solving a system of linear equations with a parameter is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations in the system.

How is a system of linear equations with a parameter different from a standard system of linear equations?

In a standard system of linear equations, all the coefficients and constants are known values. In a system of linear equations with a parameter, one or more of the coefficients or constants are represented by a parameter, which can take on different values. This adds an extra level of complexity to solving the system.

What is the purpose of using a parameter in a system of linear equations?

The use of a parameter in a system of linear equations allows for more flexibility in the solutions. By varying the value of the parameter, different solutions can be obtained. This is particularly useful in real-world applications where the values of certain variables may be unknown or can change.

What methods can be used to solve a system of linear equations with a parameter?

The methods used to solve a system of linear equations with a parameter are similar to those used for a standard system of linear equations. These include substitution, elimination, and graphing. However, when a parameter is involved, the solutions may be expressed in terms of the parameter.

What are some common applications of systems of linear equations with a parameter?

Systems of linear equations with a parameter are commonly used in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. They can be used to model real-world situations where variables and parameters are involved, such as in optimization problems, cost analysis, and circuit design.