T admits elimination of quantifiers

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elimination
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of elimination of quantifiers in a theory $T$ of a language $L$. It presents a theorem and asks for a proof, which the expert provides. The proof involves rearranging the quantifiers in a formula and showing that any formula in $T$ is equivalent to a quantifier-free formula, thus demonstrating that $T$ admits elimination of quantifiers. The expert also suggests a few improvements to the proof, such as defining "equivalent" and providing more explanations for each step.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Say that we work in a language $L$.
A theory $T$ (i.e. a subject of the set of formulas) of $L$ admits elimination of quantifiers if any $L$-formula $\phi (x)$ is equivalent in $T$ to an existential formula.
Let $T$ be an $L$-theory.
Assume that any formula of the form $\exists x \ \ \psi (x, y)$, where $x$ is one variable, $y$ is a tuple of variables and $\psi$ is quantifier-free, is equivalent in $T$ to a quantifier-free formula.
Prove that $T$ admits elimination of quantifiers. I have done the following:

Any formula of $T$ is of the form $$Q_1 x_1 \dots Q_n x_n \ \ \phi (\overline{x}, \overline{y})$$ where $Q_i \in \{\forall, \exists \}$.

We change the order of the $Q_i$'s so that first we have all the $\forall$ and then all the $\exists$.

So we have $$\forall x_1 \dots \forall x_i \exists x_{i+1} \dots \exists x_n \ \ \phi (\overline{x}, \overline{y})$$

We know that $\exists x_n \ \ \phi (\overline{x}, \overline{y}) \leftrightarrow \phi_0 (\overline{x}, \overline{y})$.

So
$$\forall x_1 \dots \forall x_i \exists x_{i+1} \dots \exists x_{n-1} \ \ \phi (\overline{x}, \overline{y})$$

We do the same till we get $$\forall x_1 \dots \forall x_i \ \ \tilde{\phi}_0 (\overline{x}, \overline{y})$$

Since $$\neg \exists x \ \ \psi (x)\equiv \forall x \ \ \neg \psi (x) \\ \neg \forall x \ \ \psi (x)\equiv \exists x \ \ \neg \psi (x)$$ to prove that $\forall x_j \ \ \phi (\overline{x}, \overline{y})$ is quantifier-free, it suffices to prove that its negation is quantifier-free

So $$\neg \forall x_1 \dots \neg \forall x_i \ \ \tilde{\phi}_0 (\overline{x}, \overline{y})\leftrightarrow \exists x_1 \dots \exists x_i \ \ \neg \tilde{\phi}_0 (\overline{x}, \overline{y})$$

Now we do the same as before, $$\exists x_1 \dots \exists x_i \ \ \neg \tilde{\phi}_0 (\overline{x}, \overline{y})\leftrightarrow \exists x_1 \dots \exists x_{i-1} \ \ \neg \tilde{\phi}_0' (\overline{x}, \overline{y})$$

$$\exists x_1 \dots \exists x_{i-1} \ \ \neg \tilde{\phi}_0' (\overline{x}, \overline{y})\leftrightarrow \exists x_1 \dots \exists x_{i-2} \ \ \neg \tilde{\phi}_0'' (\overline{x}, \overline{y})$$

Until we get a quantifier-free formula.

So, we have that any formula of $T$ is equivalent to a quantifier-free formula.

Therefore, $T$ admits elimination of quantifiers.

Is everything correct? Could I improve something? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! Your proof looks good, but there are a few things that could be improved:

1. In the beginning, it would be helpful to define what you mean by "equivalent" in $T$. Do you mean logically equivalent? Or do you mean equivalent under some interpretation of the language $L$?

2. When changing the order of the quantifiers, it might be helpful to explain why this is possible. For example, you can mention that this is possible because $T$ is an $L$-theory, and thus the quantifiers in a formula can be rearranged without changing its meaning.

3. When doing the steps to eliminate the quantifiers, it might be helpful to explain why each step is valid. For example, when you say "$\exists x_n \ \ \phi (\overline{x}, \overline{y}) \leftrightarrow \phi_0 (\overline{x}, \overline{y})$", you could mention that this is true because of the assumption given in the forum post.

Overall, your proof is correct and well-written. Keep up the good work!

What is T admits elimination of quantifiers?

T admits elimination of quantifiers is a concept in mathematical logic that refers to the ability of a theory T to express sentences without using quantifiers such as "for all" or "there exists". This allows for a more concise and direct representation of mathematical statements within the theory.

Why is T admits elimination of quantifiers important?

T admits elimination of quantifiers is important because it simplifies the language and structure of a theory, making it easier to understand and work with. It also allows for more efficient proofs and computations within the theory.

How does T admit elimination of quantifiers?

T admits elimination of quantifiers is achieved through the use of specific rules and axioms within the theory, which allow for the translation of sentences involving quantifiers into equivalent sentences without quantifiers. This process is known as quantifier elimination.

What are the benefits of T admitting elimination of quantifiers?

The benefits of T admitting elimination of quantifiers include increased clarity and simplicity of the theory, improved efficiency in proofs and computations, and the ability to express complex mathematical concepts in a concise and direct manner.

Are there any limitations to T admitting elimination of quantifiers?

While T admitting elimination of quantifiers is a useful and powerful concept, it is not applicable to all theories. Some theories may not have the necessary rules or axioms to allow for quantifier elimination, while others may require more complex methods to achieve it. Additionally, quantifier elimination may not be possible for all types of quantifiers or sentences involving multiple quantifiers.