Tablet for Math: Investing Tips for LaTeX, Proofs & More

• MHB
  • Thread starter Lebec
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding a tablet specifically for math purposes, with great software for proofs and access to tools like Geogebra and Wolfram. The person is also looking for a tablet that allows them to write equations with a screen pen and save them in LaTeX. However, there is currently no software that can recognize handwritten equations and convert them to LaTeX. The person suggests the Bamboo tablet, but notes that it may be unnecessary and there is no tablet that can replicate the ease of writing on paper. It is also mentioned that typing proofs in LaTeX is a possible option.
Lebec
I'm thinking about investing some money in a tablet devoted to math.
I want something that has great software for doing proofs, accessing things like geogebra, wolfram etc,
AND,
enable me to use a screen pen to "write" equations and then save them in latex ...

Anyone got some starting advice as to what to look for, as I have none!

Cheers,
Lebec

Computer science news on Phys.org
Lebec said:
I'm thinking about investing some money in a tablet devoted to math.
I want something that has great software for doing proofs, accessing things like geogebra, wolfram etc,
AND,
enable me to use a screen pen to "write" equations and then save them in latex ...

Anyone got some starting advice as to what to look for, as I have none!

Cheers,
Lebec
I am not sure what you mean by writing an equation using a screen pen and then saving them in LaTeX. If your equations are hand written, I don't think there's yet a good sofwhare around which can recognize the equations and convert them into LaTeX code.

If you are satisfied with just handwritten equations, them you may want to go for the Bamboo tablet. That sure is going to be an overkill of the highest degree because the Bamboo is for people who want to create real slick digital paintings and stuff of that sort.

There is no tablet I know which can give you the same ease of writing as you get when you write on real paper.

That said, have you tried typing proofs in LaTeX? I don't know if there's a LaTeX editor for tabs. But you can use sites like sharelatex to tyoe notes using a tab.

Related to Tablet for Math: Investing Tips for LaTeX, Proofs & More

1. What is LaTeX and why is it useful for math?

LaTeX is a typesetting language that is commonly used for creating documents with mathematical equations and symbols. It is useful because it allows for precise and professional-looking formatting of math equations, making it easier to write and read complex equations.

2. How can I use a tablet for math and why is it beneficial?

A tablet can be used for math in a variety of ways, such as writing and editing equations, accessing online resources, and taking notes. It is beneficial because it offers a more natural and efficient way of writing math equations compared to using a keyboard and mouse.

3. What are some tips for using LaTeX effectively?

Some tips for using LaTeX effectively include familiarizing yourself with basic commands, using templates and packages for specific types of documents, and using a version control system for collaborative work. It is also important to practice and refer to documentation when needed.

4. How can I improve my proof writing skills?

To improve proof writing skills, it is important to understand the fundamental concepts and techniques of proof writing, such as logical reasoning and proof structure. Practicing with various types of proofs and seeking feedback from peers and mentors can also be helpful in improving skills.

5. Are there any resources available for learning about investing in LaTeX for math?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about investing in LaTeX for math, including online tutorials, forums, and books. It is also helpful to join a community of LaTeX users and attend conferences or workshops to learn from experts and share knowledge with others.