Memo
Poster reminded to always show their work when starting schoolwork threads
Homework Statement
Lim (x->0) (cosx-sqrt(cos2x))/tan^2(x)
x∈(-π/4;π/4)\{0}
Relevant Equations
lim (x->x0) (1-cosa*f(x))/[f(x)]^2=a^2/2
Can't attempt to solve the task.
I'd appreciate it a lot if you could help!
368064999_867353445000190_1304311522445404453_n.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You can express [tex]
f(x) = \frac{\cos x - \sqrt{\cos 2x}}{\tan^2 x}[/tex] in terms of [itex]\cos x[/itex] using basic trig identities. What can you do with [tex]
\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = \lim_{x \to 0} g(\cos x)?[/tex]

Likes PeroK
lim (x->0) g * lim(x->0) cosx

Memo said:
You are misunderstanding #2. This is not how limits of a function of a function works.

Memo said:
I think you should get the limit into a form where it is explicitly a function of ##\cos x## and take it from there.

1698765444286.png

this is what my teacher gave me. Yes, I don't understand him/her. Not sure if he/she's telling me to convert the function into that form or what, I don't see how it would turn out and just answered within my knowledge

Memo said:
View attachment 334560
this is what my teacher gave me. Yes, I don't understand him/her. Not sure if he/she's telling me to convert the function into that form or what, I don't see how it would turn out and just answered within my knowledge
PeroK said:
I think you should get the limit into a form where it is explicitly a function of ##\cos x## and take it from there.

I was replying to #4. This is as far as I can get to, sorry.
1698767974696.png

Memo said:
View attachment 334562
I can't see what you have on the right hand side. That doesn't look as helpful as I'd hoped.

Do you know L'Hopitals rule?

Write it as [tex]
(\cos^2 x)\frac{\cos x - \sqrt{2\cos^2 x - 1}}{1 - \cos^2 x} = u^2 \frac{u - \sqrt{2u^2 - 1}}{1 - u^2}[/tex]

pasmith said:
Write it as [tex]
(\cos^2 x)\frac{\cos x - \sqrt{2\cos^2 x - 1}}{1 - \cos^2 x} = u^2 \frac{u - \sqrt{2u^2 - 1}}{1 - u^2}[/tex]
Could you tell me what happens after that?

Likes PeroK
pasmith said:
You can express [tex]
f(x) = \frac{\cos x - \sqrt{\cos 2x}}{\tan^2 x}[/tex] in terms of [itex]\cos x[/itex] using basic trig identities. What can you do with [tex]
\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = \lim_{x \to 0} g(\cos x)?[/tex]
While a tractable path, I’d say it would be slightly more transparent to factorize out cos(x) and write the rest in terms of tan(x). This also directly uses the result regarding the product of limits the teacher apparently referred to.

Likes SammyS
You can also use the limit definition of continuity. If g is continuous at ##x_0##, then, ##lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}g(x)=g(lim_{x\rightarrow x_0})##

Here's another idea. Multiply top and bottom by the conjugate of numerator to get rid of the square root.

PS This works nicely!

Last edited:
Likes SammyS and DeBangis21
Memo said:
View attachment 334562

Use the expression in the above image (post #8) - well, most importantly use the numerator.

##\displaystyle \dfrac{ \cos x-\sqrt{ 2\cos^2x -1 \, } } {\tan^2x}##

Then do as @PeroK suggested in the preceding post.

Last edited:

1. How do I take the limit of a fraction involving trig functions?

To take the limit of a fraction involving trig functions, you can use trigonometric identities to simplify the expression and then apply standard limit techniques such as factoring or L'Hopital's rule.

2. Can I use trigonometric identities to simplify the fraction before taking the limit?

Yes, using trigonometric identities to simplify the fraction can often make it easier to evaluate the limit. Common identities to use include sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1, sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x), and cos(2x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x).

3. When should I use L'Hopital's rule to evaluate the limit of a trig function fraction?

You should consider using L'Hopital's rule when direct substitution of the limit results in an indeterminate form such as 0/0 or infinity/infinity. L'Hopital's rule allows you to differentiate the numerator and denominator separately to simplify the expression.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when taking the limit of trig function fractions?

Yes, when taking the limit of trig function fractions, you should be aware of special cases such as trigonometric functions approaching specific values as the variable approaches certain values (e.g., sin(x) approaching 0 as x approaches 0).

5. Can I use trigonometric approximations to simplify the fraction before taking the limit?

Yes, trigonometric approximations such as sin(x) ≈ x and cos(x) ≈ 1 can be used to simplify the fraction before taking the limit, especially when dealing with small angles or near-zero values.