Taking the log of an exponential function and finding the slope

In summary, the author is trying to determine the slope of the graph of log V over time to find if there is a smaller slope for γ or μ, but is having difficulty because the factor of \frac{1}{ln(10)} is causing the slope to be inconsistent.
cryora
This is part of a differential equations group project problem where I solve a set of differential equations to obtain the solution to a function. The part that I am stuck at involves taking the log of an exponential function, though there may be a mistake on the book's part, but I'm not sure.

Homework Statement

Argue from your formula for V(t), that the graph of V(t) on a log scale (i.e., the graph of log V) over an extended period of time (say, several weeks) will tend toward a graph of a straight line whose slope is either -γ (the negative reciperocol of the average lifespan of a free virus) or -μ (the negative reciprocol of the average lifespan of an infected CD4+ T cell), according to whether γ or μ is smaller.

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}T(t) = λ - δT(t) - βV(t)T(t)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}I(t) = βV(t)T(t) - μI(t)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}V(t) = NμI(t) - γV(t)[/itex]
T represents population of uninfected T cells in units of cells.
I represents population of infected T cells in units of cells.
V represents population of virus in units of virions.
λ is the rate of T cell production by the human body per day in units of 1/days
δ is the rate constant of T cells naturally dying off per day in units of 1/days
μ is the rate constant of Infected T cells dying off (bursting) per day resulting in the spread of virus in units of 1/days
γ is the rate constant of virus decaying per day in units of 1/days
N is the number of virus per cell in units of virions/cell
β is the infection rate constant in units of 1/(days*virions)

The problem states to set β = 0, assuming there is a drug that completely removes infection of T cells, allowing me to solve by 1st order linear differential equation methods to get V(t):
[itex]V(t) = \frac{NμI_0}{γ-μ}e^{-μt} + (V_0 - \frac{NμI_0}{γ-μ})e^{-γt}[/itex]
with initial conditions
[itex]V(0) = V_0 \text{ and } I(0) = I_0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the log of V(t) and then taking the derivative, I get:
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}log[V(t)] = \frac{d}{dt}\frac{ln[V(t)]}{ln(10)} = \frac{1}{ln(10)V(t)}\frac{d}{dt}V(t)[/itex]
and
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}V(t) = \frac{-Nμ^2I_0}{γ-μ}e^{-μt} - γ(V_0 - \frac{NμI_0}{γ-μ})e^{-γt}[/itex]

Assuming μ is smaller than γ, the term containing [itex]e^{-γt}[/itex] should go to 0 when t is large, leaving us with:
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}log[V(t)] = \frac{V'(t)}{ln(10)V(t)} = \frac{\frac{-Nμ^2I_0}{γ-μ}e^{-μt}}{ln(10)\frac{NμI_0}{γ-μ}e^{-μt}} = \frac{-μ}{ln(10)} \text{for large t}[/itex]

The problem is the factor of [itex]\frac{1}{ln(10)}[/itex] causing the slope of the log graph to be inconsistent with what the problem statement claims it should be: -μ.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When doing calculus, "log" means "natural logarithm".

pasmith said:
When doing calculus, "log" means "natural logarithm".

While that would get rid of the 1/ln10 factor, I doubt I could make that assumption in this case because for one this book does use ln notation, and there are graphs for this problem that depicts virus amount in a log base 10 scale (where it goes from 1 to 10 to 100 to... 10^n... every major gridline). The problem even states to determine μ based on the slope of those graphs.

1. What is the purpose of taking the log of an exponential function?

Taking the log of an exponential function allows us to transform the function into a linear form, making it easier to analyze and find the slope.

2. How do you find the slope of an exponential function using its log?

To find the slope of an exponential function using its log, we use the property of logarithms that states log(x^a) = alog(x). This allows us to rewrite the exponential function as a linear function, with the log as the variable and the exponent as the slope.

3. Can you take the log of any exponential function?

Yes, you can take the log of any exponential function, as long as the base of the exponential function is greater than 0 and not equal to 1.

4. What is the relationship between the slope and the growth rate of an exponential function?

The slope of the log of an exponential function is equal to the growth rate of the original function. This means that the larger the slope, the faster the function is growing.

5. Are there any limitations to using logs to find the slope of an exponential function?

One limitation is that the log of an exponential function will only give us the slope at a specific point on the function. To find the overall slope or growth rate, we need to analyze the function as a whole.