Tangential and Normal of a rotating mass

In summary: So I am glad we agree.In summary, the conversation discussed the equations at = Rα and an = V2/ R = Rω2, and how to use them to solve for tangential and normal velocity. The attempt at a solution involved finding the values for vt and vn, with some corrections made for units. The final result was that vt = 3.364 m/s, and both at and vn are 0 for constant angular speed and radius.
nysnacc

Homework Statement

14.76.PNG

Homework Equations

at = Rα
an = V2/ R = Rω2

Vt
Vn =0

The Attempt at a Solution

I found at=0
an=5.66 m/s
vt=3.364
vn=0

So v = vt = 3.364 m/s[/B]
Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
nysnacc said:
an=5.66 m/s
If you correct the units, yes.
nysnacc said:
vt=3.364
Please show how you got that.

oh yes, a in m/s^2 typo :)

for vt, first, I need ω, which is found from an = v^2/R where R is L sinθ

SO, v = sqrt (an*R) = sqrt (5.66*4sin30°) = 3.36 m/s

nysnacc said:
SO, v = sqrt (an*R) = sqrt (5.66*4sin30°) = 3.36 m/s
What are the units associated with that 4 (highlighted in red)?

4 in meter, which is the length of L

the question is modified, it was shown 4 ft but actually it should be in meter.

nysnacc said:
4 in meter, which is the length of L
nysnacc said:
the question is modified, it was shown 4 ft but actually it should be in meter.
Ah. It would have been nice to have been made aware of this detail in the problem statement o_O

In that case your tangential velocity looks okay.

Likes nysnacc
Hopefully I wouldn't make the same mistake next time, thanks for pointing out :)

And at = 0 (rotating in constant angular speed), vn = 0 (constant radius R) correct?

nysnacc said:
And at = 0 (rotating in constant angular speed), vn = 0 (constant radius R) correct?
Yes.

Likes nysnacc
gneill said:
Yes.
Great! Actually these questions appeared on my midterm today, and these were my answers

Related to Tangential and Normal of a rotating mass

1. What is the difference between tangential and normal forces on a rotating mass?

Tangential force is a force that acts in the direction of motion, while normal force is a force that acts perpendicular to the surface. In the context of a rotating mass, the tangential force is responsible for causing the rotation, while the normal force keeps the mass moving in a circular path.

2. How do tangential and normal forces affect the speed of a rotating mass?

The tangential force can increase or decrease the speed of a rotating mass, depending on its direction. If the tangential force is in the same direction as the motion, it will increase the speed, while if it is in the opposite direction, it will decrease the speed. The normal force does not affect the speed directly, but it is essential for maintaining the circular motion.

3. Can a rotating mass have a tangential force without a normal force?

No, a tangential force cannot act without a normal force in the context of a rotating mass. The normal force is necessary to balance the centrifugal force and keep the mass moving in a circular path. If there is no normal force, the mass would move in a straight line instead of rotating.

4. How can we calculate the tangential and normal forces on a rotating mass?

The tangential force can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where m is the mass of the object and a is its tangential acceleration. The normal force can be calculated using the formula F = m x v^2/r, where v is the speed of the mass and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. What are some real-life examples of tangential and normal forces on a rotating mass?

One example is a car moving around a curved road. The engine provides the tangential force, while the friction between the tires and the road provides the normal force. Another example is a satellite orbiting around the Earth. The rocket provides the initial tangential force, while the gravitational force from the Earth provides the normal force to keep the satellite in orbit.